Lost my heli today - RC Groups
Nov 02, 2017, 12:59 PM
Piro-maniac
Discussion

Lost my heli today

As in it flew away. Just kept slowly circling and ascending until it was a dot, then nothing, in the sky.

HK450TT Pro V2 FBL with kbar and LemonRX with satellite. Fail safe set to neutral long ago.

There was no warning. All the usual points checked out before flight - ailerons, elevator, collective, rudder...

This park is less than a half mile away from a busy 4-lane with lots of businesses around and of course that's the direction it was drifting.

I really hope nothing was damaged and nobody was hurt when it came down.

I'm worried sick that it didn't come down harmlessly.

HK450 Final Flight (2 min 34 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Nov 02, 2017, 01:22 PM
Bro, it is harvest season!
Sorry about that. I hope it came down harmlessly, in an empty field, empty spot or a tree where it causes no damage to something else.
The worrying must be sickening.
Nov 02, 2017, 01:30 PM
Excellence is Expected
ya that is pretty strange

maybe alien abduction
Nov 02, 2017, 01:42 PM
It is very strange why fail-safe didn't switch off the motor.

I remember loosing radio link to my 470L, the fail-safe is set in the Brain 2 FBL, the FBL shut power to the motor and the heli floated down harmlessly from 30 feet up. The 470 has a great float so it landed on the skids without bouncing and no damage to the heli at all. The heli effectively autorotated successfully itself. Turned out there was a bug in the deviationTx dsmx protocol that I was using on the Devo 10 Tx.
Last edited by denis747; Nov 02, 2017 at 01:50 PM.
Nov 02, 2017, 02:14 PM
Piro-maniac
My fail safe was set in the RX. It was set 2 or 3 years ago. I'm pretty sure I set it to neutral but there's a chance it was set to last position held.

Still, like you said, shouldn't the motor have cut off?
Nov 02, 2017, 02:41 PM
Yes, fail-safe should shut down the motor. As you had a full size receiver and a satellite, I assume the throttle cable, from the esc, was connected straight to the receiver? The reciever fail-safe should have shut down the motor. Also some esc will shut down the motor if they don't get a throttle signal from the Rx/FBL.
Last edited by denis747; Nov 02, 2017 at 02:50 PM.
Nov 02, 2017, 02:55 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by denis747
Yes, fail-safe should shut down the motor.
Only if failsafe was set to closed throttle. If during binding the helis was in normal mode with the sticks centred (and throttle hold released) than failsafe would set to half open throttle. Basically failsafe sets the throttle to whatever position the throttle was at when you did the bind.

Its hard to think of any other explanation for a fly-away..
Nov 02, 2017, 03:11 PM
Yes that can happen. That's why it is important to test on the bench with all rotors removed to see if the motor shuts down when the transmitter is switched off. Otherwise, it is technically not a fail-safe if the motor is still powered on in the event of a radio link loss, unless it is a return to home feature like the ones on some drones.
Last edited by denis747; Nov 02, 2017 at 03:20 PM.
Nov 02, 2017, 06:11 PM
shouldve been playin starcraft
orange and lemon rx... i had one, failsafe totally dodgy!!, glad i discovered it in time before something bad happened. I warned about it in few posts, but i was told that i just dont know how to set it up

still have one orange rx, anyone fancy? i can give it for free...
Nov 02, 2017, 11:34 PM
GREY.riddles::{used}? hmm
That's pretty bad, sir.
Sorry to see it go.

I was never very good at comforting,people, but,i've seen helicopters autorotate without,any power perfectly on skids. It may land itself safely somewhere when it stops climbing.
Nov 03, 2017, 12:36 AM
Piro-maniac
Thanks for all the replies. No cops have shown up yet so I feel a little better about it.

As disgusting as this incident was, it still shows that after almost 10 years off-and-on doing this (started with a NiMH powered Honey Bee FP 72 MHz), there's always something never seen before and lessons to be learned. If I ever get another one I will make sure fail safe is set properly and periodically confirm it.

Still really bothers me that I know what happened but not why.
Nov 03, 2017, 10:44 AM
So sorry. Have lost a few mumtirotors and 1 heli. Sucks.

2nd or 3rd flight. Just finished making it. Still pissed.

Never made another multirotor after this. Was sickened. Felt like an idiot loosing orientation like that on a new build.

Lost. . (13 min 42 sec)
Nov 03, 2017, 10:47 AM
Lost heli 230s, but found almost a mile away.

Blade 230s night flight lost orientation and escaped heli (6 min 6 sec)
Nov 03, 2017, 11:35 AM
Sorry for your lost and thanks for sharing. You just made me checking my F/S in my ongoing project who was ready for test flying ( but it was no F/S set yet.. I will be shure to check my F/S on all my helis before fly them again..

BA
Nov 03, 2017, 11:58 AM
Professional heli wrecker
I know the feeling! A few of us have lost our helis this way over the years. Lost a flybar 450 with a self level system back in the old days. Found it three months later after searching for it field by field to almost half a mile out. Turns out it hit someones roof on its way down. Soooo glad no one got hurt! Lost a few coaxials, but they were one off prototypes. One guy I fly with lost his 600, and never found it, it just kept climbing. All spectrum rx fails. Yeah! Use the fail safe now on all my stuff!

With Skookum it will self level and add a touch of neg collective to auto down. At least the hit wont be violent that way.