Opinion please - RC Groups
Nov 02, 2017, 11:30 AM
Discussion

Opinion please

Just bought a used .48 surpass on ebay that someone had cut the mount to fit a specific model the description says. I would like some opinions on if it looks like it will be fine or do I need to put things into another case that I have for this engine.

Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Nov 02, 2017, 11:54 AM
Methanol, The Cool Fuel !
Aside from being very ugly, in most cases, it should be OK to use with an appropriate mount system.

If you feel otherwise, load the other case.
Nov 02, 2017, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Cee
Aside from being very ugly, in most cases, it should be OK to use with an appropriate mount system.

If you feel otherwise, load the other case.
I generally use Dave Brown glass filled mounts when I build a plane. That's what will be going tin my current build
Nov 02, 2017, 12:25 PM
Other than its appearance it will work fine IMO.
Nov 02, 2017, 12:43 PM
Ok I'll just go with it

Thanks
Nov 03, 2017, 10:31 AM
Fly it.
Nov 08, 2017, 07:40 PM
If you have another case for this engine, why not use it? What the heck else are you gonna do with it? Use it as an ashtray?

Max
Nov 08, 2017, 07:58 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxim tenet
If you have another case for this engine, why not use it? What the heck else are you gonna do with it? Use it as an ashtray?

Max
Changing crank case may be more trouble than it is worth. What happens is the engine is old and tired and needed all new cylinder liner and ring? One easy way to find out is to fly it and see if it behaves. If it runs good then it is worthwhile to take the time to replace the case. It is all about costs and benefits.
Nov 08, 2017, 09:44 PM
Well I got the engine in, and wow it needs a new exhaust valve, probably a new rod as I've never seen so much play. This engine was used, and used well. but for $40 I can't complain. I'll get a set of bearings from Noel and replace them, new valve and rod and run it.
Nov 08, 2017, 11:33 PM
the great Gassif´er
With all those new parts, and since you have to virtually tear it apart completely to replace that rod, I'd say take that little bit of effort to use that new case as well....
Nov 09, 2017, 06:49 AM
Methanol, The Cool Fuel !
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyP.
Well I got the engine in, and wow it needs a new exhaust valve, probably a new rod as I've never seen so much play. This engine was used, and used well. but for $40 I can't complain. I'll get a set of bearings from Noel and replace them, new valve and rod and run it.
Sounds like a good plan. I like to use the parts till they don't have any more "go" left in them! Not sure what it is about Magnum/ASP exhaust valves. Better have a good look at the valve seat as well. At least, give it a good cleaning.
Nov 09, 2017, 12:11 PM
Engine man
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyP.
I am curious as to what you found wrong with the exhaust valve? I assume when you say 'rod' you are referring to the push rod. What was wrong with it? Bent? I think $40 for an engine with a damaged crankcase and in need of two major components is not a very good deal at all.
Nov 09, 2017, 05:22 PM
No, I mean connecting rod. I believe the bronze bushing is worn rather well and the exhaust valve is worn rather well. It's had a lot of fuel ran through it but for another 30 or so bucks it should be back to normal again. I may just put the valve in it and run it. After cleaning, the connecting rod actually feels better than it did when I got the engine.