Need help with my homemade plane! - RC Groups
Nov 02, 2017, 10:50 AM
Help!

Need help with my homemade plane!

I have build a 3d capable scratch built plane.
It has 3 channels
1400kv motor
30A esc

So the main question is what can I do better on it so it becomes more stable and easy to fly.
And yes adding canopy to my plane will make it stable or not?

Well wing span is 1000mm and fuselage is 500mm
Last edited by Sushmit; Nov 04, 2017 at 09:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 02, 2017, 11:06 AM
Sushmit
Without some detail of the configuration (like all dimensions, weight and were it balances ) of the plane, and preferably some pictures, it is impossible to tell what if anything there might be wrong with it.

Only in very exceptional circumstances would adding a canopy make any difference to the stability of a plane.
Nov 02, 2017, 02:00 PM
Not sure what kind of 3D flying you'll be doing with 3 channels. It would severely hamper your style.
Nov 02, 2017, 02:14 PM
San Antonio TX.
I don't know anything about your design, but at the very least, the following applies.

1. If you are wanting to develop a really good 3-D plane, you need the 4 basic channels, throttle, elevator, rudder and aileron.

2. If you are wanting to develop a really good 3-D plane, keep it light, with 2 or even 3 to 1 thrust to weight ratio.

Bob
Last edited by sensei; Nov 02, 2017 at 02:21 PM.
Nov 03, 2017, 07:03 AM
Well I have added pics
Nov 03, 2017, 09:56 AM
Flying a Falcon or a 3D plane.
Fix your rudder strait. The rear stabiliser is much too small. Fuselage could be longer. Dihedral look reversed.

Use

http://rcplanes.000webhostapp.com/cg_calc.htm

to calculate CG. (use 15% static margin) before you start your modifications.
Nov 04, 2017, 04:57 AM
Anyone else before I get it ready for changes?
Nov 04, 2017, 10:24 AM
Flying a Falcon or a 3D plane.
You will probably get better results if you post here:

https://www.rcgroups.com/foamies-scratchbuilt-428/
Nov 04, 2017, 12:59 PM
Crash tests done dirt cheap!
Your horizontal stabilizer looks way too small. A good rule of thumb is approximately 25% of the wing area.
Nov 04, 2017, 08:01 PM
ChrisG does 3D!
Doesn't seem your goal is 3d with a model like this, it needs to be drastically different if you want to fly good 3d. You seem to have a small language barrier with us and english, which is totally ok and we will work around and help.

Conventional highwing planes like yours are more suited to be a trainer plane. 3D models work best with the wing mounted in the middle, lots of side area, and lots of throw on big control surfaces. Typically a 3d model will also have a very "square" design. The overall length will be close to or the same as the wingspan. Also they must be 4 channel. It's a pretty simple formula to get started with. Just search the f3p forum and scratchbuild forum for some plans and start with what others have done and proven to work. Then go out and build your own.

Also, conventional airplanes usually fly a lot more stable in a rudder and elevator configuration than your aileron/elevator configuration. Anytime you get close to stalling and have no rudder on a conventional plane you basically lose all control over turning it, touch the ailerons and it's just going to spin. Also anhedral, the opposite of dihedral, does not make for a very good flying model airplane. A 3D model will have neither. But typically planes have a little dihedral to make them want to level out on their own.
Nov 04, 2017, 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCvehicleGuy
Doesn't seem your goal is 3d with a model like this, it needs to be drastically different if you want to fly good 3d. You seem to have a small language barrier with us and english, which is totally ok and we will work around and help.

Conventional highwing planes like yours are more suited to be a trainer plane. 3D models work best with the wing mounted in the middle, lots of side area, and lots of throw on big control surfaces. Typically a 3d model will also have a very "square" design. The overall length will be close to or the same as the wingspan. Also they must be 4 channel. It's a pretty simple formula to get started with. Just search the f3p forum and scratchbuild forum for some plans and start with what others have done and proven to work. Then go out and build your own.

Also, conventional airplanes usually fly a lot more stable in a rudder and elevator configuration than your aileron/elevator configuration. Anytime you get close to stalling and have no rudder on a conventional plane you basically lose all control over turning it, touch the ailerons and it's just going to spin. Also anhedral, the opposite of dihedral, does not make for a very good flying model airplane. A 3D model will have neither. But typically planes have a little dihedral to make them want to level out on their own.
Thanks you so much but I have one more question?
Does adding canopy on my fuselage will make it perform better?
Nov 04, 2017, 09:58 PM

Well i have added few more pics after some modifications

I have increased the rudder area and I will go with same elevator as I am very satisfied with that and any more changes?

Well now it is simple trainer not 3d

And no issue with dihedral