In what level are you in your flight progression? - RC Groups
Nov 02, 2017, 10:14 AM
Poll

In what level are you in your flight progression?

This poll is also up for discussion

I will wright down what I consider over the years are the different grades of heli flying that one can be inn and achieve. This is considering most of us own pod and boom helis.

Let's be 100% honest in two way's:

1. Not putting ourselves down by being unnecessarily humble when in fact you have progressed into a higher level than you say you are.

2. Not putting ourselves on a pedestal by exagerating our actual ability to fly by inventing story's when in fact you are not yet at that level.

Grades (by definition IMO, but open to clarifications if one has another perspective):

- Newbie (first hobby grade helicopter, learning how to bind a transmitter, first hover attempt with a 4ch coaxial or any 6 axis heli.)

- Beginner (is now learning orientations and forward flight with a coaxial or any 6 axis heli)

- Intermidiate (first cp 3 axis heli, creating new muscle memory while repeating hovering and orientation exercises and getting into forward flight, circles and figure 8's)

- Seasoned intermidiate (a very progressive pilot, sport flyer, is now FFF, flying figure 8's comfortably, can upright hover comfortably in all orientations, can pull of certain manoeuvers from the advance category with thought and effort but has still never tried or is yet to try others)

- Advanced (is now venturing into mostly all 3D manoeuvers in combination with sport flying simultaniously: banked turns, pirouette's, pitch pumps, loops, rolls and inverted flight, flips...but it's not yet second nature)

- Expert (all of the above but can FBF, can fly inverted in all orientations and execute mostly all 3D manoeuvers with ease including piro-flips and all has become, to a large extent, second nature)

- Professional (sponsored pilot)

Enjoy,
- SpekBo
Last edited by SpekBo; Nov 02, 2017 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Added some elements to the definition of 'Seasoned intermidiate, Advanced and Expert'
to remove ads between posts
Nov 02, 2017, 10:26 AM
Excellence is Expected
Somewhere between intermediate and advanced.
Nov 02, 2017, 10:28 AM
rc user
interesting thread Spek. I think many of us would fall to your first point, we don't want to boast when others are so much better. but this is an advanced hobby that many can't master, either from lack of patience or skill, and it's ok to acknowledge our accomplishments.
according to your scale, I am an advanced flyer.

Edit: change that to seasoned intermediate
Last edited by pdooley; Nov 02, 2017 at 01:48 PM.
Nov 02, 2017, 10:51 AM
Great! The poll got started

I have to be downright honest, the possibilities and in beetween's are so many. I myself would categorize as advanced but I never do big air manoeuvers. I fly close and tight. So loops and rolls are not in my repertoire.

FFF, figure 8's, banked turns, pitch pumps, pirouettes, flips in every orientation, solid inverted nose in hover and nose down funnels to my right.

I think that describes me well,
- SpekBo
Nov 02, 2017, 11:37 AM
Bro, it is Christmas season!
I am in somewhere between intermediate and advanced. There are stuff I can do on the sim that I don't have the balls to try in real life. I don't know why I have the fear lol. If only I could lie to my brain that the real model is in a simulator.
Nov 02, 2017, 12:09 PM
Team Compass/KBDD Team Pilot
Not sure how to vote in the poll?
Nov 02, 2017, 12:13 PM
rc user
it's a poll-less poll

no need to vote anyway Mr. Clem, we know you're a pro.
Nov 02, 2017, 12:24 PM
Under new management.
Intermediate-advanced
...............^.........................
me
Nov 02, 2017, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdooley
it's a poll-less poll

no need to vote anyway Mr. Clem, we know you're a pro.
- Pdooley

True, we can better share the details that way.

- Mr. Clem

Give us some of your insight, share some tips and tricks .

And seriously, alot of you guy's are so modest that I will add a new level on the poll: 'Seasoned intermidiate'...and I myself will now describe me as such instead of 'advanced'.

- Spek!

Edit: Please read the definitions again.
Last edited by SpekBo; Nov 02, 2017 at 04:07 PM.
Nov 02, 2017, 04:11 PM
Post away......
Nov 02, 2017, 05:57 PM
"first stage" intermediate here

Poolls, predictions, etc
Last edited by joao; Nov 02, 2017 at 06:04 PM.
Nov 02, 2017, 06:01 PM
shouldve been playin starcraft
my vote goes for '- Seasoned intermidiate' last time i flew heli... maybe 2 month ago o.0
Nov 02, 2017, 06:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joao
"first stage" intermediate here

Poolls, predictions, etc
- Joao

Good man! Forget about those planes for a while and your heli skills will thank you .

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylo
my vote goes for '- Seasoned intermidiate' last time i flew heli... maybe 2 month ago o.0
- Sylo

I saw your hobby corner on the 'workshop' thread. That Alzrc 380 is a fine bird! You should let it strech it's legs more often
Nov 02, 2017, 06:28 PM
Team Compass/KBDD Team Pilot
I was looking for an "Old, fat dude" category...
Nov 02, 2017, 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Clem
I was looking for an "Old, fat dude" category...
More like an ' Old pro' category