P-51D Fake Fest Build Sign Up - Page 5 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 15, 2017, 11:51 AM
Old Master, New Grasshopper
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFLG
The original plan was to include the leading edges with the short kit. In order to use these I have to cut the cores differently than if using a straight leading edge and I would prefer to just cut one type of wing core. I'm not sure if Matin wants to machine 50+ sets of these though. We also still need to work out a few details/cost as these take a bit more time and are more labor intensive to make than the straight ones do. I prefer to make all the kits the same. Keeping track of multiple options in the past has been problematic.
I like that option...
Latest blog entry: Pics
to remove ads between posts
Nov 15, 2017, 12:11 PM
And Repairs
Throwing out an idea so that only one version would be cut --
Maybe decide on a price difference between the two different ways to produce the kit.
Then take an informal poll as to whether people would be willing to pay that difference for the more finished kit.

Very likely I'd chose the machined LE option.
But I'll be happy with either version, and happy to able to part of the action!

Thank you for taking the time to make the kit. And especially for making it available to those of us who can't be at the fun fly. It's looks great.
Nov 15, 2017, 12:50 PM
Brian, your video crack me up. Or at least the first 30 second of pretending that the CNC LE's did not fit the foam wing core with the curved LE (Ahi). You are a ham at heart.

Nice work on the PSS P51D wing assembly, as always! Your kits and designs just keep getting better. Great team making his one happen (Joe, Matin, & TFLG). Any body else on the team?

Tom f.
Nov 15, 2017, 01:19 PM
S.L.O.P.E.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomFlyer
Brian, your video crack me up. Or at least the first 30 second of pretending that the CNC LE's did not fit the foam wing core with the curved LE (Ahi). You are a ham at heart.

Nice work on the PSS P51D wing assembly, as always! Your kits and designs just keep getting better. Great team making his one happen (Joe, Matin, & TFLG). Any body else on the team?

Tom f.
LOL- define team, if you mean a handful of guys drinking beer and watching Matin cut leading edges Sunday then yes!

Greg
Nov 15, 2017, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyFlies
Throwing out an idea so that only one version would be cut --
Maybe decide on a price difference between the two different ways to produce the kit.
Then take an informal poll as to whether people would be willing to pay that difference for the more finished kit.

Very likely I'd chose the machined LE option.
But I'll be happy with either version, and happy to able to part of the action!

Thank you for taking the time to make the kit. And especially for making it available to those of us who can't be at the fun fly. It's looks great.
Right now (If Matin is ok making them) I'm leaning towards only two options. Option 1 will be just a fuse, hatch and scoop. Option two will include the cores and leading edges. Most guys that don't want leading edges don't want them because they will be either using another airfoil and they will be cutting their own cores so the can bag or sheet them with heavy ply or some such thing. Anyone using the supplied cores will appreciate the pre-shaped leading edges. One, you can't screw up the shape, it's already done, and two, it saves hours of shaping and sanding (that's easy to screw up).
Nov 15, 2017, 01:50 PM
Hold my beer and watch this
Quote:
Right now (If Matin is ok making them) I'm leaning towards only two options. Option 1 will be just a fuse, hatch and scoop. Option two will include the cores and leading edges. Most guys that don't want leading edges don't want them because they will be either using another airfoil and they will be cutting their own cores so the can bag or sheet them with heavy ply or some such thing. Anyone using the supplied cores will appreciate the pre-shaped leading edges. One, you can't screw up the shape, it's already done, and two, it saves hours of shaping and sanding (that's easy to screw up).
Those two options sound pretty good to me! Id much rather have just a fuse then the whole kit since I use my own cores.

The leading edges do look awesome, excellent work Matin!
Nov 15, 2017, 02:23 PM
Those leading edges are GREAT!!! Just remind the builders---DON'T SAND ON THEM!! The airfoils perfect---don't change it!! I've used them from Matin--and the are AWSOME!! Well worth any upcharge to get the foil just right!! Nice work!!
Nov 15, 2017, 02:39 PM
Flyin on pure adrenaline
I am in . If possible.

How can I help?

George C.
Nov 15, 2017, 02:40 PM
Quote:
And a drawing to go along with both options? (of course, one is always provided).

Hopefully the Option 1 (no wing cores, no CNC LE's) will have a plane view of the wing or half wing with dimensions so if I want to supply own wing cores
I have the wing chord dimensions at the root, at the break in the LE and the tip. Or a drawing that can be scaled would work also.

Tom f.
Nov 15, 2017, 04:34 PM

In between layups! Tinkering :)

Did some figuring for composite wing. So far Iím here.
I love the cnc wi g option also and will do one if those for sure.
Cheers
Nov 15, 2017, 05:05 PM
Joe: What airfoils did you use for those cores that you are going to bag?

Tom f.
Nov 15, 2017, 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomflyer
joe: What airfoils did you use for those cores that you are going to bag?

Tom f.
e-205
Really I modified a DA foil for the root to fit the saddle then transitioned to the true foil at the strake and the tip. Should motor really good!
Last edited by joemach1; Nov 16, 2017 at 11:49 PM.
Nov 15, 2017, 07:15 PM
Nothing to see here...
I'm jumping on the leading edge bandwagon.

Rubio
Nov 15, 2017, 09:45 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
Me too...shaping decent leading edges on these wings is hard enough, but trying to blend in the strakes on the P51 wing is a real bear! You either pinch one side or the other, or leave a blunt round at the intersection unless you have a hell of a lot of persistence and patience....then you have to match the other side of the wing!

+ if Rubio says he's in, you know its the way to go.....

Andy
Nov 16, 2017, 11:58 AM

Wing Saddle Question

What thickness RG14 airfoil was used for the fuse wing saddle?

Tom f.