easy starter project - RC Groups
Nov 02, 2017, 09:02 AM
Discussion

easy starter project

in a continued effort to add convenience and safety to my flying days I've made my starter battery part of my starter. no longer will I drop my battery pack to the ground in front of my airplane to start my engine. I never liked the long wire in front of a spinning prop even though I've never gotten anything hung up in it. i cut the power cord and added a plate to my starter for mounting a 4s 1300 mAH lipo. the plate is a 6" long piece of 2" wide x 1/8" aluminum bar stock. drill 4 holes and add a slot for the battery strap....
to remove ads between posts
Nov 02, 2017, 01:09 PM
Oh...that's gonna leave a mark
Your gonna like that setup much better,
Happy flying!
Kurt
Nov 02, 2017, 03:34 PM
I like the clean and simple setup. May need to do that with mine.
Nov 02, 2017, 04:18 PM
Did the same thing with mine about 6months ago. The plates/clamp on mine were made to accomadate a 12v gel-cell, and I used it like that many years ago... and that was heavy and bulky.. but I was young and strong and it didn't matter then... LOL ... then I started flying gas engines, and put the thing away... and totally forgot about it for about 15yrs.

Someone posted about using an 11.1v LiPo, and I remembered my little starter rig... so I tried it with an old 2100mah 11.1v LiPo.... It works great! ... and I just clamped it in there. I only have to charge it every few months I'm finding. Very light, safe, cordless set-up.... and it was all done with old stuff I had laying around. I've started up to 1.20 four-strokes it... no prob. Yep.. You'll like it.
Nov 02, 2017, 04:27 PM
Me Likey Scale Planes
Simple is good I say

Name: Ki18207.jpg
Views: 21
Size: 80.2 KB
Description:
Latest blog entry: Charge station
Nov 02, 2017, 04:34 PM
Put it on 4s and it'll start 40cc no problem.
Nov 02, 2017, 04:37 PM
Me Likey Scale Planes
haha,,, the only motor I have left that I need a starter for is my last glow motor,, a ys120,, it turns over great on 3S,,, I use a Zero volt hand flip on everything else

p.s.
Great job on the battery holder
Latest blog entry: Charge station
Nov 02, 2017, 10:47 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighcopter
in a continued effort to add convenience and safety to my flying days I've made my starter battery part of my starter. no longer will I drop my battery pack to the ground in front of my airplane to start my engine. I never liked the long wire in front of a spinning prop even though I've never gotten anything hung up in it. i cut the power cord and added a plate to my starter for mounting a 4s 1300 mAH lipo. the plate is a 6" long piece of 2" wide x 1/8" aluminum bar stock. drill 4 holes and add a slot for the battery strap....
Have you try spinning the 30cc with it? My Hangar 9 HD had a hard time spinning my OS 33cc. I needed to use a Dynatron on 6 cell lipoly. Yes my 6 cell pack is puffed. Too many spin ups with EDF testings.
Nov 02, 2017, 10:50 PM
Started my dle30 and 35 no problem before. I suspect the shorter cord will make it work a bit better.
Nov 02, 2017, 10:54 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Started my dle30 and 35 no problem before. I suspect the shorter cord will make it work a bit better.
For some reason I use a 4 cell 5000 mah pack on my Hangar heavy duty but it just won't turn over my OS 33cc. It did fine with all my smaller engines though. So I carry the Hangar 9 when not flying the OS.

I did not shorten the cord on the Hangar 9 starter yet.
Nov 03, 2017, 01:07 AM
UAS Pilot - FAA# *******HRK
I also use a Hanger9 on 4S but I haven't cut the cord yet. I really like raleigh's set-up and am thinking I'll do the same.

Mike
Nov 03, 2017, 07:27 AM
You should try cleaning the brushes in your starter. 6s should be able to start a 33 without breaking a sweat.
Nov 03, 2017, 12:52 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
You should try cleaning the brushes in your starter. 6s should be able to start a 33 without breaking a sweat.
I am using the 6S on the Dynatron starter. I only use a 4S on my Hangar 9 Heavy Duty. I am not sure if the Hangar 9 can handle the higher voltage. I know the Dynatron is good to 24V.
Nov 06, 2017, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt kurt
Your gonna like that setup much better,
Happy flying!
Kurt
Used it yesterday. You were right. It's nice.

Quick Reply