Do u remember “scientific models” - RC Groups
Nov 02, 2017, 06:25 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Discussion

Do u remember “scientific models”

If you like me “ mid to late 50ties or older “ you may remember the very cool control line kits made by a company called Scientific models .
Hand carved balsa fuselage, solid wings tail and flying surfaces and very easy to get the plane correct as a kid or young teen.
I built and flew many of them and they were great gifts from my dad from a retailer called Korvetts ( east coast ) .
Anyway , now in the 2017 era , I just noticed that Hobby King has released this new line of kits that are 100% in photo appearance to the original Scientific kits called Black Hawk models .
I plan of getting a few for fun and possible insane conversion to Rc lol .
just wanted to share a walk down memory lane lol !
to remove ads between posts
Nov 02, 2017, 02:35 PM
What, Me Worry?
I don't know the latest on Black Hawk models, but there are several threads here on RCG, in the control line section, that talks about Black Hawk models and their line of Scientific kits. I have built and flown a couple of them back in the day.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...models-is-back!
Nov 02, 2017, 03:31 PM
A lot of Scientific models were designed by Walt Musciano.

Here's a photo of my father and me with Walt, taken back in June 2015. He autographed the tail of my UMX Stunt Trainer and all three of the books shown. He was a most gracious host!

During our conversation I mentioned that, while it flew great as RC, it needed a bit more vertical fin and a longer fuselage to really perform. He blessed the idea, and that turned into a 25-sized Stunt Trainer that quickly became my "must fly every outing" plane.

Andy

Stunt Trainer 25 Maiden Flight 2016-06-30 (0 min 0 sec)
Nov 03, 2017, 01:10 AM
B for Bruce
Ah yes... A buddy of mine built a lot of them as a kid. Called them "Scientific log planes"...
Nov 03, 2017, 04:53 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Thanks for sharing in the stories , its great to see others that have also enjoyed these planes.
I built a lot of stuff as a kid and I loved how these planes made you feel like a success lol !
You really had to try hard to screw up the assembly.
I am thinking of a RC electric coversion just to have some fun and remember my dad for his kindness and wanting me to use my brain.
My dad worked three jobs, a presser in a Bottony 500 suit factory , then would come home and cut hair in his barbershop , then on weekends he would hang paper as a professional paper hanger.
He wanted all his kids to go to school , use our heads and wok hard and we certainly followed in that task.
My love of planes came from my dads love of assembling things.
Nov 03, 2017, 10:19 AM
Oh yeah. Remember the 36" wingspan rubber powered Scientific Skymaster?
There was a guy on FB that built a large version of one of those, 200% scaled up, and RC'd it with electric power. I tried to invite him to the BBCC contest at the time because it would have qualified, and it was fascinating.

However, he was the type that couldn't take criticism because he knew it all, so he left RCG.
Oh well...
Nov 03, 2017, 07:49 PM
The "pro" in procrastination
My first real balsa model was an 18" span control-line Scientific Piper Cub with a carved fuselage. I must've been about 13 or so, and by the time it was ready to fly with a Cox Baby Bee .049, it had cost me four months' profits from my newspaper route. The first flight was short but spectacular, with the Cub leaping forward, up, over my head and straight into the pavement on the other side. I persevered, though, and that tough and often-repaired Cub eventually taught me and two of my brothers to fly control-line.

I've built a couple of Sky Masters too, with the latest one here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ter-from-Plans . Great design, flies great too. "Build it and fly it a mile!" as the ad used to say.

Steve
Nov 04, 2017, 06:44 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Great stories guys , I am just amazed these models still exist. I am pick up a few and will start a simple build thread.
I am curious to see how much them resemble the original designs, they appear per the pic to be exact copies.
Nov 05, 2017, 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve85
My first real balsa model was an 18" span control-line Scientific Piper Cub with a carved fuselage. I must've been about 13 or so, and by the time it was ready to fly with a Cox Baby Bee .049, it had cost me four months' profits from my newspaper route. The first flight was short but spectacular, with the Cub leaping forward, up, over my head and straight into the pavement on the other side. I persevered, though, and that tough and often-repaired Cub eventually taught me and two of my brothers to fly control-line.

I've built a couple of Sky Masters too, with the latest one here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ter-from-Plans . Great design, flies great too. "Build it and fly it a mile!" as the ad used to say.

Steve
Do you think they could potentially actually fly for a mile?
If so, it'd be tempting to put a brick in one and leave the rubber motor in place, and control it.
Nov 06, 2017, 03:51 AM
Ldm
Ldm
lol I always the thought the rule of thumb was “ you can only fly as far as you can see it “
Nov 06, 2017, 06:25 PM
Onward and upward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by builderdude
Oh yeah. Remember the 36" wingspan rubber powered Scientific Skymaster?
There was a guy on FB that built a large version of one of those, 200% scaled up, and RC'd it with electric power. I tried to invite him to the BBCC contest at the time because it would have qualified, and it was fascinating.

However, he was the type that couldn't take criticism because he knew it all, so he left RCG.
Oh well...
Well, I had two of them as a kid and loved how they flew. I blew the plans up 200 percent and started the fuse. Not done yet.
Nov 07, 2017, 07:07 AM
Ldm
Ldm
I never knew that they make a rubber power kits , I only had visibility to the wood small glow kits.
Nov 07, 2017, 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilatuspc12
Well, I had two of them as a kid and loved how they flew. I blew the plans up 200 percent and started the fuse. Not done yet.
You might have to do some necessary design changes. For example, strengthening where needed because of the increased wing size, etc.
Maybe also changing the size of your stringers to that they're not all 1/4" thick.
Nov 08, 2017, 10:58 AM
B for Bruce
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm
I never knew that they make a rubber power kits , I only had visibility to the wood small glow kits.
They were a much larger and more fully featured company back in their heyday in the 50's. I believe that they actually started before the war and maintained operations through the war. Possibly making solid scale recognition models? That might be why they were so set up to leap into the "log models" once the 1/2A engines appeared.
Nov 10, 2017, 09:48 PM
Pan Pan Pan
Heck yeah, I remember Scientific models. I built several Scientific control line models in the 60s. They were pretty easy to assemble into a plane that flew, and a big bonus for me; they were pretty sturdy. A neighbor built some of them also and we them in a school yard (don't think that would be allowed now) and fields.

Thanks for posting Ldm.