Pattern plane for Saito 130TD? - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 01, 2017, 08:39 PM
What could possibly go wrong?
Question

Pattern plane for Saito 130TD?

Hi, I've now got a Saito 130TD flat twin, D for dual plug, should be a good, powerful twin and a nice thing to use. I have been thinking about a model to build around it, I've already scheduled an Ugly Stik original dimensions (66" span) from Kraft plans for a YS FZ91 engine. But I need to work out something for this engine and I'm considering it for pattern as I know the larger Saito twins are sometimes used in F3A. I'm not necessarily aiming at that division but I would like to plan for a real pattern model soon. A Stik would be good experience, but as I say that should already be happening for a different engine so I'm looking for something else for this. Not ARF please, I'd rather build from plans.

So what I'm wondering is the general dimensions for a pattern model for this engine. It weighs 38 oz according to the older style Saito manual that comes with it, about 1.1kg, fairly heavy really. Does anyone have maybe a classic pattern model of a suitable scale for an engine this size and weight, and if so could you let me know what it is and what scale, if it's an established design. If I need to just scale something up or down to suit that would be fine. I think this engine isn't super common these days but it's a really nice piece of gear and I look forward to flying it. Thanks

EDIT - I guess it would have been better to ask about designs suited to just about any 120-sized 4-stroke, but just remembering this one's a little heavier than most.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 02, 2017, 12:21 AM
Boxer 90 or 120. There is a thread on here that has the plans. Fuse is all wood build so you could modify the nose to accommodate the twin. One around guy around here had one with the 100t on the 60 size.