One hour build? Need a quick answer lol. - Page 3 - RC Groups
Nov 07, 2017, 03:58 AM
Carefully check the movement of the ruddervators. They are NOT the same as elevon movement would be. This is discussed in depth in other threads.

My neighbor made the mistake of assuming they move the same as elevons and trashed his plane (a rudder/elevator/throttle - no ailerons - plane) multiple times (thinking he had CG or other issues) till he asked me to check out the plane and I saw they were moving like elevons would.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 07, 2017, 04:47 AM
Mike's Ma Maaaaaaaaan
Good that you got it working....

Jackerbes has explained why.

If both rudder and elevator are going the wrong way but working as they should, as in both in the same direction for elevator but opposite for rudder, swap the plugs. You can actually reverse both channels as well.

Both function moving moving incorrectly, as in different directions for elevator and together for rudder (opposite of above), reverse 1 channel.

Both backwards, as in up is down and left is right, swap plugs and reverse 1 channel.

Fun init??????

On the other hand, most transmitter will allow you to input negative or positive values to achieve this.

Just before launch, look at the tail from behind and think of the rudder of a boat, does your rudder do the same? Then think ailerons, you rudder should NOT do the same

Paul
Nov 07, 2017, 04:48 AM
Mike's Ma Maaaaaaaaan
sorry Nuteman, was typing as you posted....
Nov 07, 2017, 08:17 AM
Jack
When a servo is powered up it centers the arm (unless the TX has a trim set or reversin set), then it moves one way or the other as the PWM rate changes and that would be the same direction for all servos of that make and model. But not necessarily the same for all makes, brands, and models.

If you need a servo arm on a specific side of the servo and moving in a specific direction, you may have to physically rotate the servo 180 degrees as it sets on the plane.

Jack
Nov 07, 2017, 04:42 PM
I tried turning Servos around and turning the control arms around and using servo reversing on the radio but nothing worked. The best I could do was to have them both go up when I moved the elevator stick up but then they would go the wrong way when I moved the rudder stick. Now they go up at the same time and when I move the rudder stick left they both go left and right when I move it right.
Nov 07, 2017, 06:23 PM
Jack
And you were working with a new aircraft on the TX and it was set to defaults? If so, I don't understand it either...

Jack
Nov 07, 2017, 06:26 PM
It flies !!! I just took it outside and gave it a few tosses across the driveway and it flies pretty straight. The controls all seem to work well and are very effective even when moving very slow. I can’t wait to take it to the field where I can actually turn around and do some maneuvers with it.
Nov 07, 2017, 06:36 PM
Yes I set it up as a new model and went through the aircraft type and configuration stuff. I selected v tail with ailerons and all that too. Channel 2 was supposed to be the left eleven and 4 was the right. The only thing that would make it work was to switch them around.
Nov 07, 2017, 08:54 PM
Jack
Maybe you weren't holding your mouth right as you did that first test? :>)

Jack
Nov 07, 2017, 09:59 PM
That is entirely possible.
Nov 09, 2017, 03:53 AM
Mike's Ma Maaaaaaaaan
Absolute rubbish...............

everyone knows it depends upon which leg you stand on when you bind the receiver.
Nov 09, 2017, 07:52 AM
Oh man I was sitting down when I did it.
Nov 09, 2017, 08:15 AM
Jack
Sometimes, if seated, you can favor the loading on one cheek and get a good result.

Jack
Dec 02, 2017, 05:26 PM
December 2, 2017 (2 min 27 sec)
I did the maiden flight today it flew really well even though the wind was 10 to 20 mph. I think the abomination is a total success. I only built it as a test bed for the armin wing and the v tail but I might have to keep the thing. It handles the wind very well.
Dec 02, 2017, 09:20 PM
Jack
Looks like it is flying nicely! Congrats!

If you continue to build look at some of the Kline-Fogelman winged builds or even just try a KFm wing on your plane as it is now to get an impression on how the Armin and KF compare. The KF wings are generally thinner and need less dihedral to get a given amount of stability.

Here is my favorite of all the KFm wings, it is the polyhedral tip KFm3P. It has a flat center secton for great strength at the wing center and works great as a RET wing. Then, if you add ailerons it continues to work great!

**Blu Baby 33 KFm3P Polyhedral Tip Wing Build ** - https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1474665

And here is the plane that introduced me to the KFm3P wing even though it was not called that yet:

Trainer type plane - https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1281056

Jack