One hour build? Need a quick answer lol. - Page 2 - RC Groups
Nov 02, 2017, 10:59 AM
I was tossing around ideas about what I should call this abomination and it hit me. That’s like the perfect name for it. Abomination !!! Or the abominator.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 03, 2017, 06:11 AM
"Abomination" is a sweet name. Bonus points if it crashes horribly and keeps flying! Post vids if you get 'em.
Nov 04, 2017, 12:57 PM
My motors and esc came today. I don’t know if they’re any good but they look pretty. I wanted the blue wonder motors but HobbyKing didn’t have them in the US warehouse and I didn’t want to wait for them to come from China. I haven’t done anything to the plane in a few days cuz I’m battling the flu. Maybe I’ll get back on it today.
Nov 04, 2017, 01:59 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey34
My motors and esc came today. I donít know if theyíre any good but they look pretty. I wanted the blue wonder motors but HobbyKing didnít have them in the US warehouse and I didnít want to wait for them to come from China. I havenít done anything to the plane in a few days cuz Iím battling the flu. Maybe Iíll get back on it today.
Another good source of Blue Wonder type motors is Heads Up RC , with $2.50 flat rate shipping .
http://www.headsuphobby.com/HURC-Bru...ors_c_458.html
Some of their electronics come with connectors already soldered on .
Nov 05, 2017, 06:30 PM
I did some glide tests with it today and played around with the cg. No motor or servos on it I just strapped the battery on it and moved it until I got it to balance where I wanted it. With the cg just a little ahead of the spar I got it to glide about 100 feet. I popped the tail off today also and put a larger one on. I think itíll fly good I canít wait to try it out.
Nov 05, 2017, 07:24 PM
100 feet? At once?
Nov 05, 2017, 08:59 PM
Yes all at once lol. The first time it pitched up and stalled and nosed in straight down so I kept moving the battery forward until it did a nice smooth glide without trying to pitch up any more.
Now I have a problem getting the v tail setup on the radio to work right. Either I can get the elevators to move the right way or the rudders but not both together. The tx is a Turnigy i10 if anyone can help me with that.
Nov 06, 2017, 04:36 AM
Mike's Ma Maaaaaaaaan
First off swap the 2 plugs around in the receiver and try again.

Without knowing your transmitter within the V-Tail mixer you will have values, sometimes you can set a negative value for one 'side'.

Sometimes you have to reverse 1 servo and then reverse either the elevator or the rudder function in the V-Tail program.

Can be totally frustrating but when you get the correct combination it will be a slap-head 'well it's obvious now' moment.

Paul
Nov 06, 2017, 05:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by loonsmock
"Abomination" is a sweet name. Bonus points if it crashes horribly and keeps flying! Post vids if you get 'em.
Hard to top this one as far as 'keep flying' goes. Foam vs. barbed wire.

SuperFly versus Barbed wire.. (5 min 37 sec)
Nov 06, 2017, 06:34 AM
I was thinking about swapping the servo leads on the receiver. Even though I have them where the radio says to plug them in. I’ll give it a try tonight when I get home from work. Thanks
Nov 06, 2017, 08:59 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey34
Yes all at once lol. The first time it pitched up and stalled and nosed in straight down so I kept moving the battery forward until it did a nice smooth glide without trying to pitch up any more.
Now I have a problem getting the v tail setup on the radio to work right. Either I can get the elevators to move the right way or the rudders but not both together. The tx is a Turnigy i10 if anyone can help me with that.
I don't know that Tx so looked up a video to see if it mentions V-tail.

The onscreen menu mentions 'Butterfly', which I assume is V-tail, but a quick scan through didn't seem to cover using it.

Do you have the 'Butterfly' mode active ?

Here's the video I did a quick look through --

(3/3) Turnigy TGY-i10 Radio Series: Setting up for fixed wing (plane, wing or glider) (15 min 58 sec)

Addition -- I assume you intend using the V-tail as rudder and elevator (ruddervators), not aileron and elevator (tailerons).

Last edited by eflightray; Nov 06, 2017 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Addition
Nov 06, 2017, 10:30 AM
Yes Iím doing ruddervators not elevons. I have not seen any butterfly mode either. Iíll check for that later when I get home.
Nov 06, 2017, 01:41 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
The 'Butterfly' mention is at about 3:40 on the video.

Correction: It may be that 'Butterfly' mode is the equivalent of 'Crow Braking' for gliders. So chances are it wont work for a 'V-tail'.

Sorry.

So you still need a 'V-tail' function on your radio, or buy a 'V-tail' mixer.

Last edited by eflightray; Nov 06, 2017 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Correction
Nov 06, 2017, 07:12 PM
I switched the servo leads on the receiver and bam!!! It’s working fine now. The setup screen on the radio says to hook it up the way I had it but that’s bass ackwards for some reason.
Nov 06, 2017, 07:52 PM
Jack
Most servos have a default rotation direction, all of that brand and model rotate the same way as long as they are all facing the same direction (based on labels or leads) so if you mount them the other way they work backwards...

So if you rotate the servo 180 degrees and then remove the arms and put them back to the sides they started on, it may agree with the manual...

Also which side of the servo the arm is on (like 90 degrees to the right or left) changes things too...

Jack