One hour build? Need a quick answer lol. - RC Groups
Nov 01, 2017, 07:15 PM
Discussion

One hour build? Need a quick answer lol.

If Iím building a plane with a 36Ē wingspan how long should the fuselage be? 24Ē or maybe longer?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 01, 2017, 08:14 PM
Ok you guys are too slow so I went with 26”. I’m at the 1 hour mark now and I’m not finished but I’m pretty far along already.
Nov 01, 2017, 08:16 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
What type of plane do you want to make , and what type of flying do you want o do ?
Nov 01, 2017, 08:18 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
I made this plane in 15 minutes :

"Literally" just a Flying Sheet of Dollar Tree Foam Board (1 min 13 sec)

Nov 01, 2017, 08:44 PM
The fuselage
Nov 01, 2017, 08:45 PM
Like I said itís not 100 percent but Iím close.
Nov 01, 2017, 08:50 PM
I wanted something to be a test bed for an armin wing because I’ve never made one before and I also wanted to test a v tail out.
Nov 01, 2017, 08:56 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey34
I wanted something to be a test bed for an armin wing because Iíve never made one before and I also wanted to test a v tail out.
For the correct proportions etc. ..... why not build one of the existing FSU armin wing planes ( proven to fly ) and simply add a v-tail ?
Nov 01, 2017, 10:22 PM
I just got this idea in my head and wanted to see how fast I could bang it out. I used to build control line planes out of balsa back in the day that were very similar in design and they flew awesome. I wanted to see if it would work as an rc build also.
Nov 01, 2017, 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey34
I just got this idea in my head and wanted to see how fast I could bang it out. I used to build control line planes out of balsa back in the day that were very similar in design and they flew awesome. I wanted to see if it would work as an rc build also.
If fast build is the highest priority, then fuse, tail and airfoil are not required. Flat wing, reinforcement on LE and TE. Motor, prop, esc, battery, Rx, two elevons (one servo or two) and off you go. Two servos are probably faster to avoid the linkage adjustment issues.
Nov 02, 2017, 06:35 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
It may be the angle of the picture, but that tail look much too small, especially as it's also a 'V' tail.

Generally a 'V' tail need to be slightly bigger than a conventional horizontal and vertical stab.
Nov 02, 2017, 07:14 AM
I have a bunch of 9 gram servos laying around. I’m going to put some of those in it and I have a couple of the Turnigy blue wonder clones coming in the mail. I think I’ll try to cut some control horns out of an old gift card and see how they work out. I hot glued the wing on but I’m thinking of adding some bamboo skewers to the bottom of the fuselage so I can rubber band the wing on also just for safety.
Nov 02, 2017, 07:18 AM
I think you’re right about the tail Ray. Maybe I’ll pop that off and make a bigger one. I was thinking it needed more dihedral angle in it anyway.
Nov 02, 2017, 08:07 AM
TonyS
Good discussion of V-Tail sizing here https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ut-is-it-right

I have always used, successfully, 110-120 degrees for angle of V-Tail; 80-85 degrees from horizontal for each half of the V.

TonyS
Nov 02, 2017, 09:21 AM
I was thinking that I needed to make the tail about 1/3 of the wingspan but when I did the math I used 24” instead of 36” by mistake. That’s where I messed up.