First Build - RC Groups
Nov 01, 2017, 06:30 PM
Build Log

First Build

2 hours ago I started doing some research on quad copters and now I have produced a first part list. What do you think? Help me!

List:

Frame: H250 ZMR250 250mm Carbon Fiber Mini Quadcopter Multicopter Frame Kit
Motors: 4x EMAX RS2205-2300KV RAcing Edition
Transmitter: FlySky FS-TH9X 2.4G 9CH Transmitter with FS-R9B RM002 Mode 2
Props: 2 Pair Dalprop T5045C Cyclone 5 inch 3 blade propellers
Battery: 2 PCS ZOP Power 14.8V 1800mAh 65c 4s Lipo Battery XT60
Flight Controller: F3 Flight Controller Acro 6 DOF/Deluxe 10 DOF
ESCs: 4x Racerstar RS30A V2 30A Blheli_S ESC OPTO 2-4S

2 x 2 in 1 Lipo battery Low Voltage Tester 1S-8s Buzzer Alarm

Since my ESC's are OPTO do I need a BEC?
Do I need a PDB Power Distribution Board or is it included in my Flight Controller?

Any recommendations would be great!
to remove ads between posts
Nov 01, 2017, 07:42 PM
Don't call it a drone!
Yes, you would need a BEC as the flight controller and receiver both need 5 volts. Matek PDBs have worked fine for me, are not expensive and have 5 and 12 volts outputs for electronics. A PDB is not included with most flight controller. There are some all in one FCs with PDB.

Another way to build a quad is to use a 4 in 1 ESC with BEC. DYS makes them as do others. The downside is that if one ESC burns the whole thing is shot. And ESCs sometimes flame out when they fail, if the flight controller is right above it, it could be damaged.

ZOP batteries: I've heard nothing good about them. Like ZOP standing for zero output power. China Hobby Line batteries work well and are reasonably priced.
http://www.chinahobbyline.us/ I have a few and they work well but are a little larger and heavier than the Tattus I normally use. Tattus cost a little more and are solid performers.

Transmitter: Get an FrSky Taranis instead of the FlySky. The Q X7 is around $110 with receivers starting around $15. You'll have a much better radio system with better range and a larger user base for help.

Flight controller: Your description is non specific, maybe you could provide a link. You would be better off getting one of the many F4 flight controllers with OSD built in. You may not plan to fly FPV right away, but when you do, the OSD will be there. Much easier than adding a separate OSD module.
Nov 01, 2017, 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyandride

Transmitter: Get an FrSky Taranis instead of the FlySky. The Q X7 is around $110 with receivers starting around $15. You'll have a much better radio system with better range and a larger user base for help.

Flight controller: Your description is non specific, maybe you could provide a link. You would be better off getting one of the many F4 flight controllers with OSD built in. You may not plan to fly FPV right away, but when you do, the OSD will be there. Much easier than adding a separate OSD module.
Thanks!

Yes In general what you've said has lined up with what others have said on reddit, get that transmitter, I need a BEC,

This is my flight controller: https://www.banggood.com/Upgrade-NAZ...p-1010232.html
Nov 09, 2017, 09:32 PM
I wouldnt recommend the zmr 250 these days. Look for something on Armattanquads or armattan productions. Zmrs are weak, innefficient and outdated. Everything is spot on though for a budget entry level racer.