Roll appears reversed on Vector quad?? - RC Groups
Nov 01, 2017, 06:28 PM
Dark Yet??
Help!

Roll appears reversed on Vector quad??

I have been trying to get a Vector to work on a larger frame, 14 inches square. On my 4th frame now in the tuning process.

After totaling my last frame due to a oscillation, I built a new frame and assembled everything back just as on previous versions. I did a factory reset and configured for "X" quad just like before. Now it appears the roll axis is reversed.

On the Vector Configuration screen, attitude window, it now rolls the opposite way the model is tilted. When you try to take off it flips over, proving it has positive feedback instead of negative. The pitch is correct.

I don't see any setting to reverse the roll. I have checked and re-checked the motor numbers, rotation and prop direction. Any help would be appreciated.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 02, 2017, 08:24 PM
Have you run the Receiver analysis wizard?
Also assuming you have the Vector mounted in the correct orientation?
Nov 03, 2017, 09:39 AM
Dark Yet??
Yes, I re-ran the RX wizard several times. That was the advice Eagle Tree gave me thru opening a trouble ticket.

So after several factory resets and going over the config again and again with all the same results, I swapped the motor input wires for 1,2 and 3,4 respectively. Viola! With the motors configured incorrectly it flies just as it should.

The amazing thing is that now my oscillation is gone and this controller finally flies the Woodie frame very well. With all factory defaults I turned down the gain on the PID roll and pitch axis to 20 and all the oscillation is gone. On the 3 previous frames I had all the inner gains either very low or off and it would still oscillate.

I am thinking of running the RX wizard again and holding the roll to the RIGHT instead of the left as instructed and see if that makes the motor numbers correct.
Nov 03, 2017, 10:24 AM
I advise against doing incorrect movements during the RX Wizard. Be absolutely sure you have the motors plugged in as outlined in the manual and not as another flight controller. If you still have issues please make a video showing you performing the motor test and send us a link to it in your ticket.

Regards, John
Nov 03, 2017, 07:50 PM
Dark Yet??
Vector Roll Reversed (1 min 56 sec)
Nov 04, 2017, 09:54 PM
I'd be mad without a Taranis!
The roll is not reversed. Pretend the line between the blue and the brown on the graph is the horizon. If you were sitting in your quad, when you roll right, what would the horizon look like? If you were sitting in your quad, when you roll left, what would the horizon look like?

Now double check that you didn't mess up your motor order and direction.

Edit to add that it looks like your motor order is correct, per the manual. Be sure they spin in the correct direction.
Last edited by Rups63; Nov 04, 2017 at 10:08 PM.
Nov 05, 2017, 01:39 PM
Dark Yet??
Sorry, you must not have watched the video very carefully.
Nov 05, 2017, 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barn-E-Stormer
Sorry, you must not have watched the video very carefully.
I watched it very carefully, several times. Sorry, you must have a comprehension problem. Good luck.
Nov 05, 2017, 04:24 PM
Dark Yet??
Quote:
If you were sitting in your quad, when you roll right, what would the horizon look like?
If you are sitting in the quad and you roll right the right side of the horizon will drop and left will rise. The attitude indicator shows the opposite. If the roll axis was not reversed, it would not be able to self level with the 1-2 and 3-4 motors reversed.
Nov 05, 2017, 04:27 PM
Quote:
If you are sitting in the quad and you roll right the right side of the horizon will drop and left will rise. The attitude indicator shows the opposite. If the roll axis was not reversed, it would not be able to self level with the 1-2 and 3-4 motors reversed.
You know better. Even though you're mistaken.
Nov 05, 2017, 05:48 PM
Tacoma, WA, USA
Rups is correct. It's normal.

It's a Eagletree thing.
Nov 06, 2017, 05:22 AM
It's not even an EagleTree thing. William is correct that Rups is correct
Because the computer is sitting on the bench stationary the only way to represent the horizon is for the indicator to roll opposite to the quad.

Its not an indicator of the quad roll,it's an indicator of the horizon movement relative to the quad.

Barn stormer even proves it to himself when he says the pitch is correct. In-fact the pitch indicator is moving opposite to the quad.
Why wouldn't the roll indicator move opposite to the quad also?

Quote:
If you are sitting in the quad and you roll right the right side of the horizon will drop and left will rise.
This simply isn't true.

Geoff
Nov 06, 2017, 06:20 AM
Dark Yet??
So why does it fly correctly with motors 1-2 and 3-4 reversed?
Nov 06, 2017, 07:55 AM
When you did your motor test, it appeared in your video that the motors were responding to the test in the correct positions. What do you mean by saying that the motors are reversed?
Nov 06, 2017, 08:20 AM
The AHI is operating correctly.

Incorrect control on a multirotor can be attributed to the following;

- Motors not plugged in correctly. Be sure you connect them as outlined in the manual and not as you would assume them to be related to other flight controllers.

- Reversed controls in your radio.

- Controller not mounted correctly.

You must re-run the RX Wizard after making any control changes. If you still can not get it figured out, please post a video showing you completing the motor test after verifying you have the motors connected correctly , controls stick test (props removed) and RX Wizard.

Regards, John
Last edited by JohnET; Nov 06, 2017 at 08:29 AM.