Another brilliant drone flyer. - RC Groups
Nov 01, 2017, 06:18 PM
Discussion

Another brilliant drone flyer.

Man you guys are really racking up points on the board lately.

https://dronedj.com/2017/10/30/lange...consumer-drone

A few great quotes from the article...

"The aircraft sustained significant damage to the wingtip and the drone was destroyed upon impact. No word as of yet on finding the drone pilot."

"Unfortunately, things didn’t go well yesterday when we were flying along the coastline. Our Antares was struck by a drone! Of course, we are happy that the drone did not go through the cockpit but it did mess up the winglet (delamination).”

“Of course, the drone owner is nowhere to be found"

Article goes on to discuss how in the end no matter what was the circumstances, it was completely illegal for what the drone pilot did...but hey, who really cares right?

Plus too those people haven't talked to the true key people here on RCG, so really its not their call to make anyway right?

I mean so long as you people look at this and say...nothing to see here, then it really is closed case. So I don't know what all those other people are thinking right(?)...some pretty messed up people if you ask me.

Then next of course I'm sure for some here the first thing you will say is since it did not crash the plane and it was able to land and no one was killed that is all the proof needed to show drones and flying them around manned aircraft is a zero threat.

So who am I to argue as right here is all the proof needed right?

Clearly now that it hasn't happened with three strikes in a row it is true that is just impossible to ever bring down any form of manned aircraft with a drone and as well I mean who cares either even if at a mim all you do is major and costly damage?

An after all, so long as you are able to exercise your rights and freedoms and do what ever is your god given right to your pursuit of happiness and fly those drones when ever, where ever and into what ever you want...that is all that matters.

So get out there people and start exercising your rights to do what ever you feel like doing with your drones and do it high, do it often....and do it proud.
Last edited by WBFAir; Nov 01, 2017 at 06:39 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 01, 2017, 06:57 PM
What does this button do?
Sure. I'll say it. Yup. Yet more evidence that all the predictions of death and flames from all the expert pundits have been way over-blown.
Not saying at all that it's right to allow ones hobby aircraft to be struck by a manned aircraft. Not at all. Just again...it didn't fall out of the sky. If rules are to be made then make then weighted as to the risk. Every incident is showing that the risk is apparently getting lower.
Damage? Sure. Never said there wouldn't be. Inconvenience? Sure. Again. Cost? Sure. Of course. But it all points to property damage...not death.

All you manned aircraft pilots and passengers (me too) should be continuing to let your breath out in coming to the realization that the aircraft you're in apparently won't plummet from the sky in flames upon impacting a bit of plastic.
Nov 01, 2017, 06:58 PM
And You're Not
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBFAir
Man you guys are really racking up points on the board lately.

https://dronedj.com/2017/10/30/lange...consumer-drone

A few great quotes from the article...

"The aircraft sustained significant damage to the wingtip and the drone was destroyed upon impact. No word as of yet on finding the drone pilot."

"Unfortunately, things didn’t go well yesterday when we were flying along the coastline. Our Antares was struck by a drone! Of course, we are happy that the drone did not go through the cockpit but it did mess up the winglet (delamination).”

“Of course, the drone owner is nowhere to be found"

Article goes on to discuss how in the end no matter what was the circumstances, it was completely illegal for what the drone pilot did...but hey, who really cares right?

Plus too those people haven't talked to the true key people here on RCG, so really its not their call to make anyway right?

I mean so long as you people look at this and say...nothing to see here, then it really is closed case. So I don't know what all those other people are thinking right(?)...some pretty messed up people if you ask me.

Then next of course I'm sure for some here the first thing you will say is since it did not crash the plane and it was able to land and no one was killed that is all the proof needed to show drones and flying them around manned aircraft is a zero threat.

So who am I to argue as right here is all the proof needed right?

Clearly now that it hasn't happened with three strikes in a row it is true that is just impossible to ever bring down any form of manned aircraft with a drone and as well I mean who cares either even if at a mim all you do is major and costly damage?

An after all, so long as you are able to exercise your rights and freedoms and do what ever is your god given right to your pursuit of happiness and fly those drones when ever, where ever and into what ever you want...that is all that matters.

So get out there people and start exercising your rights to do what ever you feel like doing with your drones and do it high, do it often....and do it proud.

What was that? I just got done putting four packs through my quad.

Max altitude attained: About 15ft

Number of airliners downed: 0

I'm still waiting for one to cruise by at under 50ft, I think I can hit him, but I'm obviously not very good at it.

And I call it a quad, as in quadcopter. You can call it a drone if that'll help fuel your vitriol and hatred of the craft.

Sometimes I think dying in an airplane crash caused by a drone would be preferable to reading some of the stuff in this forum.

In the meantime, it's nice out, I'm going to go put a few more packs in before dusk. As in enjoying myself and my hobby.
Latest blog entry: My Quad
Nov 01, 2017, 07:04 PM
Sure guys what ever you say....just keep pounding those manned air spaces with your drones as really when it comes right down to it, you are doing gods work.
Nov 01, 2017, 07:08 PM
I guess the irony in this story is that the cover photo probably wasn't taken with a 100 foot, er, 30 meter long clear lexan "selfie stick".
Nov 01, 2017, 07:11 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
It's not hatred for your quad. Nobody cares if you're flying safely and responsibly. You're not the problem. The problem is all the idiots who DO put other people at risk. Pretending there's no danger does not solve the problem.

No deaths = no problem? Property damage is totally ok as long as nobody gets hurt?

Huh?
Nov 01, 2017, 07:11 PM
WBFAir: I have said all along in all these "discussions" that getting in the way and even impacting manned aircraft is entirely wrong behavior. Completely unacceptable. It's that all the regs have been built around the fear tactics and over-blown predictions from so-called experts that the world would end if a hobby aircraft were to impact a manned aircraft.
We're seeing more and more that that is not happening. Make any rules in accordance with the risk. Not way over-bearing, virtually impossible to obey, rules that have no relationship with the risk.

Piece: I'm not saying property damage is ok. Just that the predictions of the end of the world are seeming to show to be over-blown.
Last edited by z10user; Nov 01, 2017 at 07:16 PM.
Nov 01, 2017, 07:22 PM
And You're Not
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBFAir
Sure guys what ever you say....just keep pounding those manned air spaces with your drones as really when it comes right down to it, you are doing gods work.
About that manned air space:

What exactly are the regulations for flying manned aircraft at less than 20 ft - heck, make it 50, I never get that high, either - at over 5 miles from the nearest GA airport?

If I'm going to be "pounding manned air spaces" with my "drone", I want to be dang sure I'm doing it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piece
It's not hatred for your quad. Nobody cares if you're flying safely and responsibly.
I disagree. There is at least one poster who frequents these discussions that absolutely hates my quad. And if he hates me, it's because he's never met me. If he met me, he would absolutely despise me.
Nov 01, 2017, 11:27 PM
I hate drones because traditional model aircraft are getting caught in the crossfire.
Nov 02, 2017, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull
I hate drones because traditional model aircraft are getting caught in the crossfire.
I don't hate them as I think they have value in the marketplace. But yes that has been my feedback and suggestion to regulators is to separate fixed wing from hovering aircraft in any regs.
No one cares about some geek flying a little fixed wing thing in a public place. All the ignorant folks who have been brainwashed by the media wanting to sell eyeballs using hysterics into seeing a hovering thing and freaking out thinking they're being spied on or something.
So that's the response to the public perception as being the REAL motivator for any of these regs.
As for safety...no decent person would want to destroy their expensive toy slamming into anything let alone a manned aircraft up there. That then has the built-in safety factor of not being in the way of or hitting manned aircraft.
But you can't legislate stupid. So education and public awareness and shaming and embarrassing those that would do stupid things would be much better than over-reaching, unenforceable regs.
Nov 02, 2017, 12:47 PM
STICKS FORWARD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffery
What was that? I just got done putting four packs through my quad.

Max altitude attained: About 15ft

Number of airliners downed: 0

I'm still waiting for one to cruise by at under 50ft, I think I can hit him, but I'm obviously not very good at it.

And I call it a quad, as in quadcopter. You can call it a drone if that'll help fuel your vitriol and hatred of the craft.

Sometimes I think dying in an airplane crash caused by a drone would be preferable to reading some of the stuff in this forum.

In the meantime, it's nice out, I'm going to go put a few more packs in before dusk. As in enjoying myself and my hobby.

I hear ya' Brother. My FPV Racer rarely gets above 20 feet. If a manned aircraft flies that low, it's because it's "crashing." Pilot Error or equipment malfunction?

I know it wasn't me that caused it.
Last edited by jinly; Nov 02, 2017 at 02:35 PM.
Nov 02, 2017, 12:53 PM
Multirotors are models too!
Pictures of the damage are not convincing .......
Nov 02, 2017, 12:54 PM
And You're Not
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull
I've been down that road with traditional model aircraft, too. Once you fly them past the stall, they are derided as "3D Planes" and those too were once the bogeymen that were going to cause the downfall of the hobby.

So been there, been hated on for that.

Ironically, I've flown "traditional model aircraft" at many, many times the altitude I've ever attained with my quad, but that was fine because I was flying left hand circles like traditional model aircraft were meant to fly.
Nov 03, 2017, 04:24 PM
Quote:
Ironically, I've flown "traditional model aircraft" at many, many times the altitude I've ever attained with my quad, but that was fine because I was flying left hand circles like traditional model aircraft were meant to fly.
It may have been fine because the operating limitations of traditional model aircraft don't encourage flight in airspace where they could fall onto or run into something of value. If the computer stabilized miniature powered lift aircraft known as multi-rotors had only been operated responsibly in the same airspace as traditional models, there would have been no additional safety concerns from the public and likely no issues with the FAA about increased regulation.
Nov 03, 2017, 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty105
Pictures of the damage are not convincing .......
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...3&postcount=16