Comet Super Stars Stuka Build - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 01, 2017, 03:53 PM
Build Log

Comet Super Stars Stuka Build

Well call me crazy but I finally to build one of my Comet Super Stars series for rubber freeflight out of the box. I seen a couple of these built and hanging from the Hobby Store many moons ago and always thought they were neat looking, but back in the day I could not afford the kit.† Of course once I learned how to build and fly I never thought about building one of these knowing they would not fly well.† The kit has a 31 inch wingspan, comes with a lot of plastic and the covering looks like domestic paper or maybe silkspan, as you can see it is larger than normal Comet covering. The wood is die cut, but now cut completely through and directions advice the parts mush be cut out with knife.† To do this I first pencil the area to be cut out marking the die cut parts.† I then apply tape to the back side to prevent wood splitting, then I proceed to cut the parts out.† This is the longest part of the build so far.† For glue I am going with Testors wood cement and white PVA glue.† I like these glues because they dry clear and don't leave colored glue joints.† The build went together pretty fast but as you can see I still have a lot of sanding ahead of me.† I also have to cut out the plastic parts and get them prepared.†
to remove ads between posts
Nov 01, 2017, 09:35 PM
Beautiful kit and build. I am jealous I could not afford the Super Star kits back in the day either.
Nov 06, 2017, 08:14 PM
B for Bruce
What's with the diagonal ribs? Is that STOCK?!?!?!?!

Looking darn nice there regardless.
Nov 06, 2017, 10:53 PM
The ribs are stock as is the cardboard motor tube. Signature design "features" of the Comet Super Star series.

Steve
Nov 09, 2017, 12:41 AM
Yes, the ribs are a Comet design. The build has slowed way down now that Iím cutting out the plastic parts. Also there are a lot of areas on the fuselage that donít have adequate structure to attach tissue. This problem is also seen in the old Sterling kits. So I have to identify these areas and fabricate attachment points.