Nov 01, 2017, 02:53 PM
Build Log

Comet Super Stars Stuka Build

Well call me crazy but I finally to build one of my Comet Super Stars series for rubber freeflight out of the box. I seen a couple of these built and hanging from the Hobby Store many moons ago and always thought they were neat looking, but back in the day I could not afford the kit.† Of course once I learned how to build and fly I never thought about building one of these knowing they would not fly well.† The kit has a 31 inch wingspan, comes with a lot of plastic and the covering looks like domestic paper or maybe silkspan, as you can see it is larger than normal Comet covering. The wood is die cut, but now cut completely through and directions advice the parts mush be cut out with knife.† To do this I first pencil the area to be cut out marking the die cut parts.† I then apply tape to the back side to prevent wood splitting, then I proceed to cut the parts out.† This is the longest part of the build so far.† For glue I am going with Testors wood cement and white PVA glue.† I like these glues because they dry clear and don't leave colored glue joints.† The build went together pretty fast but as you can see I still have a lot of sanding ahead of me.† I also have to cut out the plastic parts and get them prepared.†
to remove ads between posts
Nov 01, 2017, 08:35 PM
Beautiful kit and build. I am jealous I could not afford the Super Star kits back in the day either.
Nov 06, 2017, 07:14 PM
B for Bruce
What's with the diagonal ribs? Is that STOCK?!?!?!?!

Looking darn nice there regardless.
Latest blog entry: Garden Gliders
Nov 06, 2017, 09:53 PM
The ribs are stock as is the cardboard motor tube. Signature design "features" of the Comet Super Star series.

Steve
Nov 08, 2017, 11:41 PM
Yes, the ribs are a Comet design. The build has slowed way down now that Iím cutting out the plastic parts. Also there are a lot of areas on the fuselage that donít have adequate structure to attach tissue. This problem is also seen in the old Sterling kits. So I have to identify these areas and fabricate attachment points.
Mar 01, 2018, 08:28 PM
Well, I finally got around to finishing the Stuka. I learned from when I first started building models to always finish what I start so there are never unbuilt models sitting around. This one has been sitting around for awhile and it bothered me it was not finished. The build went pretty fast but I new covering was going to be an issue since there were parts of the model where I had to add balsa so I could attach the tissue. Comet kits are pretty bad when it comes to directions but it is obvious you have to add scrap balsa just so the tissue can be attached. The other issue I had was the plastic parts were pretty bad and required a lot of work just to attach it to the plane. I made a couple of modifications, since I was unable to add washout to the steardy wing I glued the outer flaps upward in hopes of creating washout. The other mod was the landing gear pants. The plans do a real good job detailing how to attach the wire but then has you glue the plastic pants to the wing. If I were to do this, the pants would rip the covering off on the landing. So I added balsa blocks inside the pants gluing to the wire so the pants move with the wire on landings and is not glued to the wing. For covering I discovered Comet Super Stars kits came with domestic tissue and not silkspan as I originaly thought. I used the kit tissue since it was still useable other than slight browning and the smell of old paper. Covering this plane was challenging, I covered the fuselage wet with 2 pieces of tissue working careful not to rip the tissue. The wing was also covered wet and the front of the wing was challenging with the large LE profile. After everything was covered and shrunk, I applied regular dope to seal the tissue. The kit comes with a large sheet of decals that are peel and stick. I carefully cut the decals out an did my best to apply them, the plans don't really show where the decals are placed. The adhesive was ok, but some ended up being glued in place when they started to peel off the tissue. Originally I wanted to paint the plane black to look like my Cox Stuka, but I decided I really wanted to see the cool construction design through the paper so I left it white. You can see how large this plane is compared to my Guillows Stuka and Monogram 1/48 Stuka. Final weight with rubber and clay is 165 grams
I did a couple of test glides and she balanced out pretty well. It will be some time before I can fly her since I need a field with tall grass, not much of that around here in S. California. So what made me crazy enough to build this? Well I always thought these were cool kits when I was a kid but did not have the money to buy one or the skill. When I finally learned how to build, I knew this was a terrible kit to build and fly so I never bought one, of course I still thought it looked nice. I have all the Super Star kits and someday will build another, maybe the Cessna 150.
Mar 03, 2018, 11:23 AM
Your Comet Super Star Stuka turned out really nice. I think having all that structure show through the white tissue is very striking. Another very nice model from your hands.

Paul Bradley

Quick Reply