The Cornfield Bermuda Triangle - RC Groups
Nov 01, 2017, 01:42 PM

The Cornfield Bermuda Triangle

Some thoughts on lost aircraft over in the cornfields...

1. As soon as your aircraft goes down, make a visual reference to the trees in line with the impact location. Take note of where you are standing at time of the crash. This will help set a bearing for the beginning of your search.

2. Before you set out on your search, get a compass and get an approximate bearing along the line that you established in previous step.

3. During summer/early fall, be prepared for lots of corn pollen. Long sleeves, pants, a hat, and dust mask recommended.

4. During mid-fall through end of winter, plan on hip waders. Tall boots are not going to cut it, the water is sometimes deep. The buddy system is recommended, there is a chance that you are going to get stuck in the mud.

4a. Walk on the submerged dirt roads or quad paths, since the ground is more firm.

5. If you've got FAW buddies willing to help, recommended technique is to each start at the end of a corn row (near the bearing you established) and space yourselves about 3 rows apart. Start at the same time and work yourselves up and down the corn patch. You will find your aircraft (and maybe someone else's) in this way.

6. A camera drone or plane works great, but only for planes that are red, pink, white, or bright blue. Yellow/tan/grey planes are hard to see from above. Recommended technique is to fly the camera ship high, then take high-res footage or photos while flying a grid pattern. Then review the footage (over popcorn and beer) until you spot your aircraft/wreckage.

Final tidbits:

Many people have reported loss of signal over the corn. Not sure if this is true or not. My crashes in the corn have been due to tip-stall and flying a quad to battery critical levels.

Consider installing a lost model alarm or a Tile beacon. These will speed up your search!

If you have telemetry, use RSSI signal as a means of determining when you are close to your model.

Waggle your surfaces when you are searching, you might hear your servos when you get close to your aircraft.

During fall/winter, your aircraft is going to land in water. So...you may not be able to use the above methods for your search.

Make sure to set a failsafe for lost RC signal. Just in case you do lose signal, you want to know what your throttle and surfaces are going to do when your aircraft is suddenly in free-flight mode.

If you do crash in water, when you find the wreckage/carcass/airframe: unplug batteries, drain fuel, remove all electronics, immerse electronics in a bag of dry rice for 24 hours, use a toothbrush and alcohol to clean all electronics components, make sure to system test everything thoroughly before re-deploying.

OK - what tidbits/tips/experiences do you want to share?

Tristan
to remove ads between posts
Nov 06, 2017, 02:07 PM
So many planes, So little time

Satellite Image, just in.

Here's the Corn triangle from Space...

Name: triangle corn.JPG
Views: 3
Size: 33.8 KB
Description:

After the hunt,
Guacamole + Salsa dip, could be useful.
Nov 07, 2017, 07:44 PM
Apparently that satellite view was taken last week when Bob's plane was still in the corn triangle. I zoomed way way in on the upper left corner and look what I found! Looks like the orange receiver may not have been to blame after all!
Last edited by Dave H.; Nov 07, 2017 at 08:00 PM.
Nov 08, 2017, 09:42 AM
The Frito Bandito shot down my Mig-15 !!
Lance told me, I tip stalled it
I feel better about the crash now, knowing the real reason.
Nov 08, 2017, 09:19 PM
OMG, this becoming an epic thread!
Nov 13, 2017, 11:42 AM
This time of year hip boots don't really work, chest waders or a boat, IF! you really need to get over there.
Name: Pond recovery.jpg
Views: 9
Size: 130.9 KB
Description:
A whistle, walking stick, PFD
Don't go in there alone, we might not ever find you.
Dec 09, 2017, 02:12 PM

Send out the fleet

Name: icebreaker.JPG
Views: 6
Size: 95.5 KB
Description:
Clear waters on the other side of the Beaver lodge