The November Big Sky, Anyone can enter, Informal Contest - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by Curtis in Texas, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 01, 2017, 10:55 AM
ı ɐɯ uoɹɯɐן
Contest

The November Big Sky, Anyone can enter, Informal Contest

THE NOVEMBER BIG SKY INTERNATIONAL
LONGEST DURATION CONTEST FOR ALL ELECTRIC AND HAND LAUNCHED GLIDERS THERMAL SOARING AND SLOPE SOARING RULES AND INFO:

Contest will run from 12:01 am November 1st to 11:59 PM November 30th Eastern US time. The contest is for ALL electric or hand launched gliders or airplanes of all sizes, all materials and all controls. The contest is intended to help motivate you to develop your thermal and slope soaring skills. The contest is open to all gliders, e-gliders and, if you like, e-airplanes too. If it glides, it qualifies.

In Thermal Duration, the contest is split into three classifications; 2 Meter and under E Gliders, Open E Gliders, and Hand Launch Gliders.
You can post as many times as you like using as many planes as you like, but only one will be counted per pilot per category regardless of what kind of plane you are flying. You can replace a shorter time with a longer time any point during the contest. You can fly as many flights as you like.
Goal - longest duration thermal and slope flights without use of the motor.

THE PLANES
* Any electric motor system or unpowered hand launch glider. (No winches or Hi-Starts).
* Any wing controls and any wing span
* Any construction

ELECTRIC GLIDER SOARING
1) From a fresh hand or ground launch you can run the motor for up to 30 seconds, then you turn the motor off and you can not restart it. Reclimbs are not permitted. If you restart the motor the flight time is no good.
2) Motor time starts as soon as you apply throttle. This is an LMR, Limited Motor Run contest with a pretty long motor run allowed so that the motor run itself does not provide much advantage to anyone. Many will choose to shut off the motor in less than 30 seconds. No credit for shorter motor runs.
3) Soaring time starts when the motor goes off. Either you time the whole flight and subtract the motor run or you use two watches, one to time the motor run and one to time the flight. How you do this is up to you.
4) You can time your own flight if you wish. You are on your honor. Time is truncated to the second. No fractions and no rounding. Read the seconds only.
5) Landing must be within 100 feet of the original launch location or the flight does not count. Landing must be on the ground/grass or pavement. Landing in a tree, bush, structure or other elevated spot that would not normally be a landing spot does not count. There are no other rules around the landing.
6) Time stops when the glider comes to a rest. So the clock keeps running if you clip a branch, or go to land and bounce back into the air. When the plane stops, time stops.
7) You can launch as many times as you like but each flight has to be from a fresh launch from the ground/hand. No reclimbs permitted.
8) Report your best time of the day by posting here. You can post as many times as you like, but only the best one will count. You can fly as many days as you like to work toward your best time. The goal is to achieve personal bests in the fun atmosphere of a contest.

HAND LAUNCH SOARING
1) Soaring time starts at release of the plane.
2) You can time your own flight if you wish. You are on your honor. Time is truncated to the second. No fractions and no rounding. Read the seconds only.
5) Landing must be within 100 feet of the original launch location or the flight does not count. Landing must be hand catch or on the ground/grass or pavement. Landing in a tree, bush, structure or other elevated spot that would not normally be a landing spot does not count. There are no other rules around the landing.
6) Time stops when the glider comes to a rest. So the clock keeps running if you clip a branch, or go to land and bounce back into the air. When the plane stops, time stops.
7) You can launch as many times as you like but each flight has to be from a fresh launch.
8) Report your best time of the day by posting here. You can post as many times as you like, but only the best one will count. You can fly as many days as you like to work toward your best time. The goal is to achieve personal bests in the fun atmosphere of a contest.

SLOPE SOARING
1) From a fresh hand or ground launch you can run the motor for up to 5 seconds, if you need it to get into the lift. I would expect most slope flights will have no motor run but some sites need a boost to the lift.
2) Motor time starts as soon as you apply throttle and is subtracted from the total flight time.
3) Soaring time starts when the motor goes off. Either you time the whole flight and subtract the motor run or you use two watches, one to time the motor run and one to time the flight. How you do this is up to you.
4) You can time your own flight if you wish. You are on your honor. Time is truncated to the second. No fractions and no rounding. Read the seconds only.
5) Landing has to be within 100 feet of the original launch location or the flight does not count. Landing must be on the same level as the launch. Landing down the slope or up in the trees does not count. You must come to rest in a "normal" landing spot and be able to walk over and pick it up. I realize this can vary by slope site so you are on your honor as to whether this was a normal landing.
7) You can launch as many times as you like but each flight has to be from a fresh launch from the ground or hand. No powered reclimbs permitted. If you restart the motor the flight does not count.
8) Report your best time of the day by posting here. You can post as many times as you like, but only the best one will count. Try as many days as you like to get your best time of the month.
For either contest you report the results via post.

REPORT FORMAT
Your Name - Real or RCGroup Name - your choice
Glider/plane name and wingspan:
E Glider, Hand Launch or Slope:
Date and Time of flight:
Duration of flight:
Comments - You are welcome to report anything you like about the day, the flight. Pictures, videos, gps plots, etc are welcome but not required.

I will maintain the thread and keep the second post updated with the top 3 flight durations from each Class. Only one flight of each type will be recorded in the standings for each pilot. A new better time will replace the original.

THREAD CONTENT
While it's preferred that posts are about contest business; brief comments about items of common interest are welcome. This includes but is not limited to: new planes, safety warnings, tales of remarkable flights that might not be official entries, humorous incidents, well wishes for those facing health issues, the bloody weather, and messages of congratulation or conciliation. Short of your personal version of War and Peace all comments are welcome unless I receive multiple complaints.

ALL-TIME CONTEST RECORDS

2 Meter and under E Glider Class
Andy Grose (dee-grose)
Glider name:Radian
Thermal or Slope: Thermal
Date and Time of flight:April 19, 2012 11:20am
Duration of flight:1:38:04 (after 30 sec motor run)
Max Altitude: 3028ft AGL

Open E Glider Class
MrE / Larry
Sailplane: Bubble Dancer
Date and Time of flight: 13 October 2013 2:30PM
Duration of flight: 1 hr 52 minutes 37 seconds
Weather: Mostly clear, +55F, light variable winds

Hand Launch Class
xStatiCa (Adam)
Glider Binary IV DLG (1.5m)
May 14th, 2015
Time 5:48pm
Duration 75:49
New Port Richey, FL

Slope Class
744Drv
Sailplane: Radian Pro 2m
Discipline: Slope
Date time of launch: 26 Nov 12:57
Place: Lookout Hill overlooking Discovery Bay, Hong Kong
Conditions: E 5-10kts
Duration: 3 hrs 2 mins
to remove ads between posts
Nov 01, 2017, 10:58 AM
ı ɐɯ uoɹɯɐן
2 Meter and under E Glider Class

Matt
Class: 2M and under
Plane: Radian
Date: 11/11/17
Time: 11:45AM
Flight Time: 39:10 after 27s motor run.
Conditions: 34F, light wind and a bit hazy.

Bruce Clapperton
Easy Glider Electric
5 November, 10.30am
Duration: 7:27 from 15 second motor run
VARMS Field Melbourne Australia

Open E Glider Class

Bruce Clapperton
Finezza (2.8meter like a bubble dancer):
E Glider
12 November 2017, around 11.30am
43 minutes and 53 seconds
Motor run 15 seconds, to about 150 meters.

AMA69405
Glider name: Aether 3.7m
Date and Time of flight: 11/22/17 1330 CST
Duration of flight: 43 minutes 00 seconds (after 25 sec motor run)
Weather: 44F / Wind NW 4 mph / scattered high thin clouds / Baro 30.35 falling

Hand Launch Class

Slope Class

Andrew Allen
Eliminator 100
19 November 11:30am
Duration 61:40 slope hand launch no motor
Bald Hills - Ballarat Australia

Bruce Clapperton
Easy Glider Electric
Slope Flight
Monday 6th of November, 4pm
Zero seconds motor run
Time: 21:59
Location: Glen Fern Rd, Ferntree Gully Near Melbourne Australia
SW slope but the wind was a bit to the south so a bit dodgy, about 5-10knots.

Current thru #42
Last edited by Curtis in Texas; Nov 27, 2017 at 03:58 PM.
Nov 02, 2017, 01:16 PM
Gary L

Open E Glider entry

Here's an early-in-the-month easy target for you Open E flyers:

AMA69405
Date and Time of flight: 11/02/17 1150 hrs CDT
Duration of flight: 13 minutes 46 seconds (after 24 sec motor run)

65 deg F, 70% humidity, winds 3-6 mph from NE, rising barometer. Lift was spotty this morning, will likely be much stronger this afternoon. Unfortunately, I may not be able to get out there after lunch.
Nov 04, 2017, 09:56 PM

Two Meter E-Class

Bruce Clapperton
Easy Glider Electric
5 November, 10.30am
Duration: 7:27 from 15 second motor run
VARMS Field Melbourne Australia

Not the best weather so I only put up the Easy Glider. Managed to hook a thermal in about 6-7 knots of wind coming from the South East.
Our pilot area faces west, so the wind coming from behind. All the other flights were 3minutes or less, or just aborted to do some foamabatics .
Nov 05, 2017, 02:00 PM
3RN13
It's definitely building season here, the only question is should I build a glider or perhaps with all this rain I should start on Noah's Arc... "forty days and forty nights"

Ernie
Nov 06, 2017, 02:05 AM

Slope Class Entry

Bruce Clapperton
Easy Glider Electric
Slope Flight
Monday 6th of November, 4pm
Zero seconds motor run
Time: 21:59
Location: Glen Fern Rd, Ferntree Gully Near Melbourne Australia
SW slope but the wind was a bit to the south so a bit dodgy, about 5-10knots.

Had the day off today as Tuesday is a public holiday for a horse race (Melbourne Cup - The Race That Stops the Nation!(Think Kentucky Derby)). This is our
local slope, about half an hour's drive for me. There are much better slopes around, but they are about 1.5 hours drive away. Had to clear the landing area of sheep!
Nov 06, 2017, 02:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie b
It's definitely building season here, the only question is should I build a glider or perhaps with all this rain I should start on Noah's Arc... "forty days and forty nights"

Ernie
I have a hobby king Monsoon Yacht you can have, not sure how to post it though. Actually, I've been looking for a woodie glider to build. Saw this kit from
Hangar One in New Zealand. http://www.hangarone.co.nz/takah275-...it-p-8829.html

Bruce
Nov 06, 2017, 06:31 AM
3RN13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bclapperton
I Actually, I've been looking for a woodie glider to build. Saw this kit from
Hangar One in New Zealand. http://www.hangarone.co.nz/takah275-...it-p-8829.html

Bruce
Bruce

This year I have built the Windfree and am finishing a Sunbird, I love the kits but the building instructions on both were badly written. I hope the people who kitted the Takahe did a much better job.

Ernie
Nov 06, 2017, 12:28 PM
ı ɐɯ uoɹɯɐן
Quote:
Had the day off today as Tuesday is a public holiday for a horse race (Melbourne Cup - The Race That Stops the Nation!(Think Kentucky Derby)). This is our
local slope, about half an hour's drive for me. There are much better slopes around, but they are about 1.5 hours drive away. Had to clear the landing area of sheep!

That's what you call a slope? How quaint.
Of course that's twice as big as anything in my area so I'm jealous. lol

Actually the landscape is pretty similar to areas near me (no sheep, cattle .. it's Texas after all ) and I've stopped at two different properties and asked if I could fly there. I didn't get to speak with either owner so I left my name / number but never heard back.
Nov 06, 2017, 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis in Texas

Actually the landscape is pretty similar to areas near me (no sheep, cattle .. it's Texas after all ) and I've stopped at two different properties and asked if I could fly there. I didn't get to speak with either owner so I left my name / number but never heard back.
Yes we are pretty lucky to have a slope nearby. My club VARMS makes sure that we keep the owners on side. I think there is a slab of beer involved at Christmas.
Nov 07, 2017, 08:33 AM
Gary L
Quote:
Yes we are pretty lucky to have a slope nearby. My club VARMS makes sure that we keep the owners on side. I think there is a slab of beer involved at Christmas.
So... just to further our global soaring knowledge... a slab is 24 bottles/cans of beer? What we in the USA would call a "case", packaged in a "flat" configuration?
Nov 07, 2017, 10:23 PM
Tomorrow looks like a viable day to fly up here in Cincinnati. Been focusing on building since the weather took a dive down the toilet for the year.
Nov 10, 2017, 08:31 AM
Gary L

Open E Glider entry

Incrementing...

AMA69405
Date and Time of flight: 11/09/17 1220 CDT
Duration of flight: 18 minutes 36 seconds (after 30 sec motor run)
Weather: 57F / Wind NW 3-5 mph / high thin clouds / Baro 30.17 falling

Proud of this one because I had to fight for it. It was a poor launch due to a dying battery, followed by about 5 minutes of scratching around at about 200 ft before getting a decent ride. Unfortunately, when the lift drifted too far downwind, I was left with widespread sink... I covered a lot of territory looking in vain for lift during the last 3 or 4 minutes of the flight.

Nice soaring session overall though, with 5 flights averaging just about 14 minutes, including one under 4 minutes with "nuthin' but sink". Average launch height for the 5 flights was 450 feet... methinks I need to move on to newer batteries!
Nov 10, 2017, 08:43 AM
3RN13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMA69405
Weather: 57F / Wind NW 3-5 mph / high thin clouds / Baro 30.17 falling
16 here at the moment...brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Nov 11, 2017, 03:36 AM
Slab.