Giant Scale Shorts 360-200 - RC Groups
Nov 01, 2017, 07:10 AM
bps
bps
Discussion

Giant Scale Shorts 360-200

After scratch building two Shorts SC.7 Sky Vans I have found another Shorts Brothers aircraft to scratch. Thanks to a thread located here https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-Decals/page33 post number 489 by NAKIUM949. This will not be a complete build thread but more of just updates on construction with pictures. Many thanks for the 3 views posting NAKIUM949.

I have chosen a 93" wingspan with a total target weight of under 12 pounds. Power will be twinn electric motors swinging 14" 4 blade props. This will be more of a stand off scale than a true scale effort. Landing gear will be fixed as opposed to retractable but also removable to accommodate a retract retrofit. Basic construction materials will be 1/2" foam insulation board for the fuse and tail feathers with wings constructed of balsa, plywood, carbon fiber and foam.

The wing sheeting will be a bit of a challenge. I am using Dollar Store Foam Board with its easily removed paper faces. This inexpensive soft foam material 3 - 4mm thick in its stock form is inconsistent in thickness and finish. It's very wavy as well. I will run this bare foam through sheet metal Slip Rollers to condense the foam, roll it a bit to airfoil shape and give it a more consistent thickness. I have already tried this process and it works great. I obtained a used Slip Roller machine an I'm in the process of rebuilding that now.

Covering will be a combination of heat shrink Econocoat and adhesive vinyl sign material. Finish will display the Fed Ex livery.

Most of the structure drawings are completed using the above 3 view drawings enlarged to the correct scale. The fuse has been started and I'll post some pictures of that in the next few days. I hope to fly this beast in the spring...we will see!

Hope we all enjoy this project and as always input is welcomed.

Thanks for taking a look
to remove ads between posts
Nov 01, 2017, 10:29 AM
bps
bps
Some early photos of the fuse and nose sections
Nov 01, 2017, 04:09 PM
Give me a TriStar anyday!
No problem, can't wait to see the results
Nov 06, 2017, 10:25 AM
bps
bps
Fuse starting to take shape. Canít wait to get it on the gear.
Nov 11, 2017, 02:01 PM
Long-Time Member
This is thread is a bit old and the model's a smaller all-balsa version, but it might be of some assistance to your build.

Shorts 360 Thread

Shorts 360 Flight
Nov 11, 2017, 04:39 PM
bps
bps
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Frolik
This is thread is a bit old and the model's a smaller all-balsa version, but it might be of some assistance to your build.

Shorts 360 Thread

Shorts 360 Flight
Thanks.
Nov 17, 2017, 02:55 PM
bps
bps
The fuse construction is making progress. I still have a long way to go and much engineering as well. The vertical and horizontal tail components are under construction. Iím just waiting on the nose gear to come in so that can be fitted.
Nov 17, 2017, 02:56 PM
bps
bps
I should mention that my work table is 8 feet long.
Nov 17, 2017, 03:40 PM
Give me a TriStar anyday!
Very nice!!!!