This thread is privately moderated by JulianGoesPro, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 31, 2017, 08:16 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

My RaceFlight SkinnyKid Revolt Bolt Spektrum Build

Hello and welcome to my RaceFlight SkinnyKid Revolt Bolt Spektrum Build Blog Post!

Brian Morris aka BrainDrain, famous for taking second place at the "first" Nationals after Chad Nowac back in 2016 and getting into the finals in Dubai and so much more finally released his new racing frame, the SkinnyKid As he is I will be running RaceFlightOne on a Revolt FC and a Bolt ESC as well as the new Warp 8 motors

So let's get started!

DISCLAIMER... I did a few things (I wouldn't call them mistakes... but well ) different in the beginning than they are now, best is to look at all the pics first and I also mention those things during the building process in text from so, please skip through it completely before starting the build to be on the safe side

lets take a quick look at what I am using for this build, most of it is from the RaceFlightStore:

Frame: BrainDrain's SkinnyKid
FC: Revolt V3
ESC: Bolt V2
Motors: 2308 2600 Warp 8
FPV Cam: MicroSwift
vTx: MatekHV
Rx: SPM4649T
OSD: Piggy OSD V2 (not right now but will be put on TX1 then)

so the frame comes with heat-treated titanium screw for the arms, the inner holes on the arms use the standoffs, the outer ones the locknuts

so let's mount the motors, I use two screws for each motor and with the warp motors mounting pattern I decided to use the "inner" holes since they seem to me to be the stronger choice (more material to their edge)

a closer look at the electronics... but don't look at the cable between the bolt and revolt... long story... I improvised... it's not what is normally used

since both the bolt as well as the revolt are using those rubber bobbins it's fine to use those long steel bolts and there is enough friction on those so you don't even need nuts lol

when you have receivers that use inverted stuff then you need to bridge it accordingly... I don't so I bridge NOR and 5V on both to be on the save side if I add like an OSD later... in this build I am using the Spektrum Serial Telemetry Receiver that uses one wire for both control and telemetry and isn't inverted

SPM4649T is soldered to TX3, Bolt and Revolt connected via "the cable" and the vTx telemetry is hooked up to TX4... and I decided to only use one 2200uF cap

now lets fuse both the frame and the electronics together

and there it happens... the first thing I did which I now have changed... the bolt... the RF logo and the current sensor are actually the bottom and if you want to do it right... don't put it on there like I did but with the current sensor facing down... it's no problem to do it like I first did but there are benefits like no need for motor mapping (despite beeing in the gui with a wizard I am lazy)

quickly soldering the motor wires to the motor pads on the bolt with the wire length cut to lentgh

and putting the top plate on as well as fiddling the lipo strap through underneath the bolt

sexy right? (look out for the video antenna placement... that will drastically change in the following pics)

I swear I did not mess with that scale... put it on and seriously LOLed

since I needed some HD footage (lol... you will see later^^) I wanted to test Brian's SharkFinHDCamMount... so I printed one

and since I am all about fast printing... the HobbyKing TPU is okay with 50mm/s and that's why it looks so ugly... I love it

pretty nice for an HD freestyle rig, right?

so let's fix what I did differently and could be optimised => flipping the bolt right side up (now that I know whats up^^)

...and mounting the MatekHV vTx upsidedown... there is just enough space and the carbon will actually act as an additional heatsink

candyshot from the side without the HD Cam but with the Shark Fin!

candyshot with the RunCam3
Last edited by JulianGoesPro; Nov 01, 2017 at 09:06 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 31, 2017, 08:45 PM
Thread OP
I got a DVR recording from the ReMaiden after I swapped the Bolt right side up and added the HD mount... had already gotten a tad dark...

DVR: ReBuildMaiden // SkinnyKid // RF1// Bolt V2 // Revolt V3 // Warp 8 (2 min 14 sec)

...and a shorter HD version... the SD card I had picked was obviously full... fail...
ReBuildMaiden // SkinnyKid // Revolt // Bolt // RF1 // RunCam3 (1 min 16 sec)
Last edited by JulianGoesPro; Nov 01, 2017 at 05:59 AM.
Oct 31, 2017, 08:46 PM
Thread OP
Got asked on FB how I like the SPM4649T and it's telemetry... I love it

Last edited by JulianGoesPro; Nov 01, 2017 at 08:25 PM.
Nov 02, 2017, 12:39 AM
N'a qu'un oeil
Thanks for sharing your build here !
Nov 02, 2017, 08:25 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by papayou
Thanks for sharing your build here !
You are welcome! Hope you like it
Nov 02, 2017, 01:29 PM
dx4life
damn nice post! <3 it