FlySky FS-TH9X for dsmx/dsm2 BNF? - RC Groups
Oct 31, 2017, 02:58 PM
Question

FlySky FS-TH9X for dsmx/dsm2 BNF?

So, I've got the FlySky 9ch tx for some time, and i have flown the mpx easystar 2, shark and funglider with it. I have however been increasingly interested in the e-flite umx lineup to the point of considering changing my tx to a spektrum dx8. Additional incentive to change would be that the only store in my area that has stocked flysky recievers has been forced to downscale, and as far as i know they only sell futaba and spektrum nowadays. As of now i only see myself flying foamies, since anything bigger would require time and dedication that a student may need elswhere. Because of this i am in no need of advanced telemetry. Because of this I have been thinking about buying the orangerx module instead of the dx8, since it would be about one fifth the price even shipped from hongkong. So the question is, apart from telemetry, what functionality do i lose compared to the dx8 and what kind of modifications would be nessessary to my FlySky? as far as i know it uses the basic software that it came from the factory with.

Sorry if this post seems rambling, this is my first time posting here and english is not my first langage. Thanks in advance for the replies!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 31, 2017, 03:01 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Skip the OrangeRX module if you have any intention of flying UMX ships. It's problematic with the UMX ships, but generally works OK with the larger BnF's with discrete receivers.

The Multiprotocol modules work better, and better yet is the Spektrum DM9.
Nov 01, 2017, 02:37 AM
To what extent are dsmx and dsm2 compatible? Would the dsm2 module work with future spectrum and orangerx recievers and bnf models? Another question is wether my tx firmware needs updating, since no one here seems to have successfully flown umx bnf:s withthe basic flysky firmware. I'm kind of a noob for the time being and don't know a lot about modifying radio systems.
Nov 01, 2017, 09:59 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jookan
To what extent are dsmx and dsm2 compatible? Would the dsm2 module work with future spectrum and orangerx recievers and bnf models? Another question is wether my tx firmware needs updating, since no one here seems to have successfully flown umx bnf:s withthe basic flysky firmware. I'm kind of a noob for the time being and don't know a lot about modifying radio systems.
All discrete DSMX receivers will also bind in DSM2 mode. There's a few of the Blade quad & heli micros which have issues with DSM2.

That said, there are a couple receivers which have issues with the DM9. Most notably, the Apprentice SAFE receiver will not bind with a DM9. Most everything else will work fine.

The compatibility break between DSMX and DSM2 is that not all current transmitters speak DSM2. The DXe and all EU-spec DSMX transmitters sold after Jan 1, 2015 are not DSM2 capable.