Vladimir's Model Snipe 2 - Page 14 - RC Groups
Jun 10, 2018, 08:06 PM

Oh maaaannnnn

finished my snipe 2 strong around 10 am sunday - got my CG sorted, battery charged and headed out with some other DLGs and the NEW snipe 2.

Flew my other gliders to get in the zone - always a bit nervous about flying a new glider..... so took my time before deciding to go to the S2.
battery plugged in - light hand toss to check controls. All ok.

light launch - too much preset - goes vertical REAL quick - land and re-trim a little - another light launch - pretty impressed - adjust some in flight trims - dang this thing flies well (as good as if not better than the S1s I have had)

a few more light launches nice air - hit some lift - so smooth, I'm liking this !!!! hooked a couple of low level thermals - indicates well - flies a LOT slower than my BAMFS - so took some getting used to again - forgot how much I liked the Snipes.

bit more power on the next launch - here a light "crack" sound … hmm - sounds like the peg settling in - no biggie - visual check before next launch - all looks ok - decide to give it a decent launch and see how it performs - BIG crack - followed by a spiralling S2.... DANGIT …. boom broken behind TE of wing.....

not exactly what I was wanting - but thems' the breaks (excuse the pun)

hopefully I can repair this one - these boom as SO thin I might have to take my time figuring out the best way to tackle it. The older style booms I found easier to repair as they are just tapered tubes - this one is broken where everything merges in shape - any tips to on how to align it all would be appreciated - going to order a new fuse and maybe keep this one as a spare if I can get it back together relatively straight.

on another note - I have always flown with PINK (and blue ) planes - this one is flouro orange and it is SUPER visible…. orange may be the new pink

from the half dozen low level flights I have I must say this thing is pretty dang impressive.... cant wait to get it back in the air...

BTW - in NO WAY am I saying this is a fault with the model -things happen.... just part of life
Last edited by gtrbaby; Jun 10, 2018 at 10:12 PM. Reason: disclaimer.. forot my blue snipes haha
to remove ads between posts
Jun 11, 2018, 06:07 AM
This might be a manufacturing defect... The break looks to clean from the picture you posted here
Jun 11, 2018, 08:33 AM
stefan
Quote:
Originally Posted by eitanro
This might be a manufacturing defect... The break looks to clean from the picture you posted here
Without a detailed shot of the break this is a bit like reading the tea leaves...

stefan
Jun 11, 2018, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfluck
Without a detailed shot of the break this is a bit like reading the tea leaves...

stefan
yes it's a clean break - almost perfect. (have lost some bits of carbon out of it though)

I doubt Vladimir would have manufacturing issues - all his stuff is top notch.

I'm having a hard time trying to align the fuse to repair - my usual method of bracing is effected by the transitions whee the break occurs... I got it lined up near perfect in the horizontal plane but it appears the tail dropped in the vertical plane...

without something to reference it against - I'm a little stuck
Jun 12, 2018, 12:48 AM
Hugh Blackburn
I had a similar break after a flap servo failure (KST08 QC problem) and crash. Yep, it's a real PIA juggling the parts around to get the alignment correct. You can sight along the mould break lines, assuming the mould is split along a horizontal plane - that should give you the incidence rigging. The lateral alignment is a lot easier (since the alignment is fairly obvious). I maybe used some tack-glued balsa splints to help with all this (sorry, it's a while back), tacked the break together with CA, sliced off the balsa, added a bit more CA, then got into putting carbon on it -- I'm sure you know how to do that part. Pretty sure the tail twist alignment relative to the wing worked out OK on the first try, and that I had both the wing and tail mounted when I did the tack gluing. Just make sure your tack gluing really is tacking and you can break it and start over if you have to.

I am not totally sure that the mould was split on a plane, but it seemed the most likely option (and looked right). Perhaps someone who has a virgin fuselage can sight along the mould lines and tell us.

The repair is stronger and stiffer than the original, added less than a couple of grams.

Suggestion: it would be good if VM put some more carbon in the area if only to ensure that breaks happened some distance behind the wing - that would ease the alignment issue.

Suggestion: to get the twist of the tail set relative to the wing (i.e. no twist), it can help to tape the model upside-down on a flat surface (e.g. large table) with the launch blade hanging over edge of the table. That also gives the opportunity to prop up the various bits and pieces to get the rigging angle right.
Last edited by floquet; Jun 12, 2018 at 01:03 AM.
Jun 12, 2018, 01:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by floquet
I had a similar break after a flap servo failure (KST08 QC problem) and crash. Yep, it's a real PIA juggling the parts around to get the alignment correct. You can sight along the mould break lines, assuming the mould is split along a horizontal plane - that should give you the incidence rigging. The lateral alignment is a lot easier (since the alignment is fairly obvious). I maybe used some tack-glued balsa splints to help with all this (sorry, it's a while back), tacked the break together with CA, sliced off the balsa, added a bit more CA, then got into putting carbon on it -- I'm sure you know how to do that part. Pretty sure the tail twist alignment relative to the wing worked out OK on the first try, and that I had both the wing and tail mounted when I did the tack gluing. Just make sure your tack gluing really is tacking and you can break it and start over if you have to.

I am not totally sure that the mould was split on a plane, but it seemed the most likely option (and looked right). Perhaps someone who has a virgin fuselage can sight along the mould lines and tell us.

The repair is stronger and stiffer than the original, added less than a couple of grams.

Suggestion: it would be good if VM put some more carbon in the area if only to ensure that breaks happened some distance behind the wing - that would ease the alignment issue.

Suggestion: to get the twist of the tail set relative to the wing (i.e. no twist), it can help to tape the model upside-down on a flat surface (e.g. large table) with the launch blade hanging over edge of the table. That also gives the opportunity to prop up the various bits and pieces to get the rigging angle right.
Thanks Hugh. I'll give some of those ideas a crack. I use the balsa splint method usually. Just couldnt get the vertical alignment. No mould line that I can see.. I popped the joint apart tonight. Its not pretty. So might just go with a new fuse this time round. Bit of a bummer.... Only go the snipe a few weeks ago.
Jun 12, 2018, 01:35 AM
Heres the break after I re popped it... You can see remnants of balsa on it from bracing
Jun 12, 2018, 02:36 AM
1 revolution and throw!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrbaby
Heres the break after I re popped it... You can see remnants of balsa on it from bracing
another thing you could try it to glue 3 or 4 pieces of precured carbon rod on the inside of the front end so they stick out 2cm orso .
then you can slide the boom over it and align it (eyeball it) when satisfied hit with thin CA and then continue repair by laminating carbon on the outside
Jun 12, 2018, 04:37 AM
Hugh Blackburn
Hmmm. Well I definitely see (and can feel) some kind of parting line both in the carbon fuse and the nosecone (they pretty much align where they meet). After all the mould has to be able to split in at least two parts. Looking at the "mould line" now I'm home, I'm not so sure it's flat. However, the bottom of the fuse is pretty much a straight line through the under-wing area and downstream. That will do you.

Quick Reply