Originally Posted by RumRunner_1492
Could you live on $8.50 per hour?
Why do you think that's relevant?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimu..._United_States
Nov 01, 2017, 01:26 PM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty1000
Because at its peak the minimum wage had the same buying power of $8.54 in 2014 dollars. That was in 1968. Is that a living wage? Could you live on $8.54 per hour?
Nov 01, 2017, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Because at its peak the minimum wage had the same buying power of $8.54 in 2014 dollars. That was in 1968. Is that a living wage? Could you live on $8.54 per hour?
What we really need but I doubt will happen is a round of deflation, the removal of the Federal Reserve and the power to print money restored to the US Mint.
Nov 01, 2017, 01:37 PM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzmanb
The biggest lazy free loaders are the Koch bros. I think you guys should seriously follow the $$$ trail and stop blaiming homeless vets on the street. The brainwashing by the right is pretty gross. The Elite are BY far the biggesr freeloaders. Damn near every government policy is For Them. So if you are gonna whine about government be realistic about who it truly benifits. The elite own government
Their laziness or ambition concerning minimum wage is about as relevant as the amount of times your drumsticks hit a drum in 2106, since the loose change in the couch in the guest house behind the garages would keep you in cheap gray canned tuna and Ramen noodles for your remaining days.
Nov 02, 2017, 12:58 PM
Flower of Scotland
Quote:
I couldn't know until I tried. What makes you think that the figure you're quoting is correct?

Wiki says you're wrong.

Quote:
The minimum wage had its highest purchasing power in 1968, when it was $1.60 per hour ($11.49 in 2017 dollars).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimu...rchasing_power
You still haven't said whether you think Moe made this up:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe M.
Not to argue Goat, but at one time it was possible, for example, back in the early '60's I held a minimum wage ($1.00 per hour plus family health insurance) job, I worked 48 hours a week and brought home $41.00, with that I bought my first house, my mortage including principle, interest, taxes, and insurance came to $26.00 a month, by 1965 my wages had not changed, I was supporting my home, a wife, and three kids, I had a decent car, a motor cycle and a fairly good life, my wife was a stay at home mom, all on minimum wage.
As my skills increased and my wages went up, so did the cost of living, it's sad to see what the loss of manufacturing and the ability of most families to exist today (even with good jobs) without both parents having to hold down stressful jobs and long hours, it's the times we live in, but still sad.
Nov 02, 2017, 01:01 PM
Quote:
He wont touch Moe's story with a ten foot pole. Destroys his theory.
Nov 02, 2017, 04:32 PM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Quote:
I couldn't know until I tried. What makes you think that the figure you're quoting is correct?

Wiki says you're wrong.

Wiki doesn't say I'm wrong. It says Pew Research is wrong. Irregardless It was never a wage meant to raise a family and live on. Could you support a family on $22,980 per year before state, local, and employment taxes?
Nov 02, 2017, 04:34 PM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock
He wont touch Moe's story with a ten foot pole. Destroys his theory.
Not at all. If Moe could do that on what would equate to $8.42 per hour today then good for him. I don't know anyone else who could. Could you?

Quick Reply