The Long Ranger 5-7inch tubular frame - RC Groups
Oct 30, 2017, 07:38 PM
Build Log

The Long Ranger 5-7inch tubular frame

The Long Ranger is a frame ive been designing that uses 8mm tubes for arms.

It should be appropriate for freestyle and endurance due to its light, strong, efficient construction.
You can use whatever length tube you like, allowing you to use all prop sizes.
Fits standard 30.5mm boards.
Camera mount uses m2 6mm 3hole mounting and is 22mm wide (perfect for runcam split and similar).
Battery mounts on top to keep it protected, but this wont be great for racing as the weight distribution will be off. COG will probably be the same as an Armattan Chameleon however, so it should be perfect for freestyle.

Tubes will be attached to the main plate and motor mounts with a few wraps of kevlar and slow setting resin to fill in the gaps. Smaller diameter tubes will be inserted into the main tube at pressure points to prevent breaking. Ive used this method for a 3inch quad and it works VERY well. No vibration, light, ultra-stiff and very strong.

You can order 135mm (suits 5inch props) 8x6 tubes from Armattan for US$1.40 or 155mm (suits 7inch props) for US$1.60 with a minimum order quantity of 10. Or you could get an 8x6 750mm tube from hobbyking for AUD$7.50

You can see an example of how i plan to attach the motor mounts and a cad render of the whole design in the attached images:
Last edited by Liam W; Nov 01, 2017 at 11:26 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 01, 2017, 11:42 PM

Now Available for testing!

The design is now available on Armattan Productions and is now ready for testing. 40USD for the main frame excluding arms. If you want Armattan to cut up tubes for you, you have to place a special order. The pricing is 1.40USD for 135mm tubes (for 5inch props) or 1.60USD for 160mm (for 7inch props).

Unfortunately, im a bit busy and cant do much of my own testing in the next few weeks, so i would greatly appreciate it if people could alert me to any problems they encounter. Any enquiries into the build process, PM me. I will be making a full build guide as soon as i free up some time

https://armattanproductions.com/pages/kit_detail/1375
Nov 12, 2017, 02:26 AM

More pretty pictures

Ive ordered the frame but it will be a while till i can get real pictures and got through the build process. In the meantime, heres a pretty CAD render: