Not so much a hack - RC Groups
Oct 30, 2017, 07:27 PM
Discussion

Not so much a hack

Ever wondered how a radio loses its bind?
At our recent Blackpool Show, a guy bought a Southampton tug off the Bring n Buy. His first foray into model boat ownership. When he found it wasn't working he looked around, found me and asked if I could help.
It had been refitted with a couple of Viper 15 ESCs, a hardware mixer and a Tamco radio. 2 channel stick TX and a 4 channel RX.
Testing all the plug-in stuff with a servo tester (really cheap, every home should have at least one) and everything worked. Tried one of my radios, worked. So the Tamco wasn't doing its thing. Tried binding, no dice.
Late night thought, had another go at binding away from the WiFi. Powered RX, pressed button, lights flashed and then went green (never saw the colour mentioned in Tamcos instructions) Bingo!
Now , the set-up in the boat had a power switch for each ESC, one easily visible, the other an unmarked black one on a black panel under the foredeck. The receiver was on this ESCs BEC output and had never been switched off for some time other than when the battery was removed for charging.
The thought now is that if an RX is powered up but left for some time without a signal, will it try to bind to something else? My WiFi seemed to make a difference, but if it was in an "on" state at the show, bearing in mind it was in a room full of truck and tank clubs doing their thing, could it have tried for a new friend there?
to remove ads between posts