63" Hawker Hind - RC Groups
Oct 30, 2017, 05:54 PM
Discussion

63" Hawker Hind

Hello, I've never written a blog or posted any kind of build thread before, so please bare with me while I get my feet wet. I have however, designed and built a model airplane or two, so I hope you will follow along and find this interesting. As you may have guessed from the title the subject of this thread is to be the Hawker Hind. By the mid 1930's the biplane had reached the pinnacle of design and elegance. sadly, for us biplane lovers they would be considered obsolete a few short years later. Such was the case with the Hawker Hart family of aircraft. Since I could not find any RC kits of this type I decided to create my own. As I write this I am putting the final touches on the plans and creating the CAD files for the pieces to be laser cut. I should be able to submit these to Manzano Laser Works within the week. If all goes well a short kit should become available in the not too distant future... Below are pictures of the only Hawker Hind still flying. It is of coarse part of the Suttleworth collection.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 30, 2017, 08:10 PM
I just sent the finished plans and CAD drawings off to Manzano Laser Works...
Now all I have to do is wait patiently for a long box to come in the mail...

I hate waiting...
Oct 30, 2017, 08:23 PM
Welcome to RCG! Great subject and it will be fun following along with your build.

Mike
Oct 30, 2017, 11:58 PM
Res Ipsa Aviatur
Hi Richard,

Great subject!

Paul
Oct 31, 2017, 01:56 AM
Person of interest
Welcome to RCG Richard - very intriguing project. Will be following with interest
Oct 31, 2017, 05:38 AM
I may be some time ....
Very nice Richard. My Dad remembers seeing Hinds from 602 Squadron in formation over Glasgow just before the War.

Alec
Oct 31, 2017, 12:35 PM
Thank you for your interest. I can almost hear those Rolls Royce Kestrel engines humming overhead. There are a couple of reasons I want to build this airplane.
1. It's an interesting subject that doesn't get modeled very often.
2. I wanted something big enough to fly in a breeze, but still be easy to transport without spending 30-45 minutes attaching tiny little screws.
And last but not least, I want something I can rig a bomb drop on so I can finally achieve my ultimate evil goal of world domination! AH, Ha Ha Ha!!!
Oops, did I type that last part out loud... Actually, I always thought it would be fun to drop little bombs from an RC airplane.
I plan on powering it with an E-Flite 32 outrunner on 3 cells. As for ease of transport, the wings will plug in to the center section leaving the interplane struts and flying wires intact. My goal is to be able to assemble the airplane in under five minutes.
Nov 01, 2017, 08:18 AM
Brighto?
What are those objects on the lower aft fuselage?
Nov 01, 2017, 09:05 AM
Person of interest
Possibly weights to compensate for the lack of a gunner?
Nov 01, 2017, 09:23 AM
Yes they are wieghts
Nov 01, 2017, 07:09 PM
Looking forward to following this one. It might help keep me going on the demon too.
The kestrel engines on the 'old warden' videos always sound good.
Nov 02, 2017, 11:15 PM
How big is this model going to be?
Nov 02, 2017, 11:33 PM
Person of interest
The tread title is a bit of a give away
Nov 03, 2017, 12:15 PM
I drew the plans at 1/7 scale which came out to 63.5" span and about 50" length.
Nov 03, 2017, 07:24 PM
I believe I mentioned that I hate waiting, so I went ahead and started laminating the outside edges of the tail feathers. To do this I like to make a template from 1/4" foam core and pin it down with wax paper. After soaking the strips in warm water and applying a bead of white glue in between, slowly work the three layers of strip wood around the template and hold in place with lots of pins. Let dry over night. see pics...