What Heli is this?? - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 30, 2017, 02:53 PM
Help!

What Heli is this??

Picked this up for 10 bucks at a garage sale this weekend. I need to figure out what it is and what it needs to get back in the air.

What is it??
to remove ads between posts
Oct 30, 2017, 05:01 PM
It looks an EXI 450 kit. Many T-Rex 450 parts should work with it.
Last edited by Technica; Oct 30, 2017 at 05:07 PM.
Oct 30, 2017, 05:03 PM
rc user
it's an EXI 450. Clone of an Align 450SE, or maybe SA.
was a popular model in it's time.
Oct 30, 2017, 05:12 PM
As far as what it needs to make it airworthy and safe... quite a lot, based on the photos you posted.

Receiver and gyro at the absolute minimum. In addition to likely new servos and maybe a ESC. I wouldn’t trust those servos and looking at how dirty that heli is, it would be a very good idea to take it apart to clean and inspect everything.

Edit: I see the gyro and receiver now,. They were a bit hard to see. In any event, definitely check those electronics out.
Oct 30, 2017, 07:47 PM
I am for sure upgrading the servos prior to use. The gyro is the Futaba GY401 so if it checks out, this is a good option. Rx is a Spektrum AR6100 which will work for me. The ESC will be replaced with a higher quality 40Amp I have sitting on my bench.

My biggest concern is upgrading the head. What Trex FBL head would I order for this heli?
Oct 30, 2017, 08:18 PM
rc user
any 450 head for Align will work.
I like the non-DFC Tarot models.
for $17 shipped this is a no-brainer:
https://www.banggood.com/Tarot-450PR...mds=mywishlist

you may need to adjust or replace your links to get the proper length.
Oct 30, 2017, 09:09 PM
+1 on what Pdooley said!
That gyro should be very good! If you are going for a flybar head go for a se v2 head!
10 $ with that gyro you got a pretty good deal there!
Oct 30, 2017, 11:49 PM
I think I will attempt to use the Futaba Gyro and old school head first and then upgrade to FBL later.

When I do upgrade, what is everyone's favorite FBL controller? I can only imagine the amount of debate going on in the threads so I will just ask it here for personal preference.
Oct 31, 2017, 07:49 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
FBL controllers:

if you want very cheap but works fine then there is no beating the Kbar (it's a clone of the old Mikado Vbar).. you can pick one up around $25

If your budget stretches higher then the Brain2 / iKon2 (same thing in different cases) or the Spirit /Spirit Pro are great options and have the benefit of self levelling stabilisation and 'rescue'.
Oct 31, 2017, 11:51 AM
exi plastic edition
Oct 31, 2017, 12:09 PM
Excellence is Expected
Yeah EXI V2 Got one. its an ok cheap seats heli
Nov 08, 2017, 07:19 AM
+1 for kbar, i use in all my helis. here is a link to a good deal, just under $20:

EDIT: This deal maybe better: $ 21.99 and Free shipping

PS if you find the servos to be ok its possible to use analog servos also with kbar/vstabi..

BA
Last edited by Black_Angel; Nov 08, 2017 at 07:47 AM.
Nov 08, 2017, 11:00 AM
Destroyer of Threads
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessebartman
Picked this up for 10 bucks at a garage sale this weekend. I need to figure out what it is and what it needs to get back in the air.

What is it??
Any progress?

I had a blast with my 450 clones.
Nov 09, 2017, 09:50 AM
I ordered the Tarot FBL head from Banggood but it is going to take a while to get here. I am pretty sure I will be going with the Emax servos set and Cheapo FBL unit. I will post my progress on here when everything arrives. For now it will sit gutted on my bench longing for shiny parts.........
Nov 09, 2017, 10:29 AM
Destroyer of Threads
It's been a while since I've ordered from BG, but most of mine were around 2-3 weeks
to Madison/Chicago area.