AMA financial transparency? - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 30, 2017, 02:40 PM
Commander, U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Discussion

AMA financial transparency?

Ok. AMA says that they're transparent. If that's the case, then why is the financial report not posted some ten months AFTER the close of the organization's fiscal year?

Latest published here is Dec 2014 - Dec 2015:
http://www.modelaircraft.org/Members...tatements.aspx

After noticing this a couple weeks ago, I sent a note to my EVP and the ED. Didn't get the courtesy of a response from either ... AND the information still not posted.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 30, 2017, 02:49 PM
STICKS FORWARD!
My Son in law CPA says, because it takes "time" to "cook" the Books.
Oct 30, 2017, 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinly
My Son in law CPA says, because it takes "time" to "cook" the Books.
There's a reason why the information is not posted ... either they're administratively incompetent or it's deliberate. I just want them to pick one.

I also just noticed that none of the insurance claims information has been updated with 2016 data either - 9 full months after the end of 2016:
http://www.modelaircraft.org/Members...sonlydocs.aspx
Last edited by franklin_m; Oct 30, 2017 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Insurance claims data not updated either.
Oct 30, 2017, 04:14 PM
STICKS FORWARD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin_m
There's a reason why the information is not posted ... either they're administratively incompetent or it's deliberate. I just want them to pick one.

I also just noticed that none of the insurance claims information has been updated with 2016 data either - 9 full months after the end of 2016:
http://www.modelaircraft.org/Members...sonlydocs.aspx
People with reasonable Accounting Knowledge could "dissect" their "Publicized Numbers."

They are supposed to be a "Non Profit" Organization. I guess when you are a CBO (or a Private Entity) you can take your time in showing your "Statistical Revenue and Claims." "Shoot" you can even decline to submit any info.

If it was a "Publically Traded" Company on any of the Financial Exchanges. . The FTC and the SEC would be involved. That is still a 'Substantial' amount of Revenue they collect.

You are right, it would be nice if they could "acknowledge " one or the other.
Last edited by jinly; Nov 02, 2017 at 11:43 AM.
Nov 01, 2017, 07:33 AM
Quote:
People with reasonable Accounting Knowledge could "dissect" their "Publicized Numbers."

They are supposed to be a "Non Profit" Organization. I guess when you are a CBO (or a Private Entity) you can take tour time in showing your "Statistical Revenue and Claims." "Shoot" you can even decline to submit any info.

If it was a "Publically Traded" Company on any of the Financial Exchanges. . The FTC and the SEC would be involved. That is still a 'Substantial' amount of Revenue they collect.

You are right, it would be nice if they could "acknowledge " one or the other.
The fact that they are not transparent to their members, that they are no longer timely in reporting their numbers could all be of interest to the IRS.

Just a thought.
Nov 02, 2017, 11:01 AM

Just sent this to my VP

For all the good it will do, I just submitted questions to AMA asking when each of the 2016 reports will be posted, and for good measure I also sent this to my VP:
Mark,

When will 2016 financial, insurance, medical claim, and fire theft and vandalism reports be posted?

We're ten months into 2017, and we've yet to see posted 2016 financial, insurance, medical, and fire theft and vandalism claim reports.

How can members weigh in on the spending of our money THIS YEAR when we've not yet been permitted to see how our money was spent LAST YEAR?

I do not understand why this information is not being made available to members in a timely manner.

Regards
Nov 02, 2017, 04:18 PM

It just got posted....

Making some progress. Got a response to one note saying that "it should have been posted in July" and that it would be up shortly. Ok, but the point is it wasn't up in July ... which in my mind speaks volumes about how our membership dollars are paying people for jobs that are clearly not getting done. That said, perhaps there's another reason it wasn't posted.

I'm reluctant to post numbers in this forum from a members only document. But I'd encourage folks to go look at the following revenue areas: club charter fee changes, park pilot magazine, model aviation ads, model aviation subscriptions.

In terms of expenses, looks at membership processing expense change, as well as AMA Expo expense changes

Lastly, go look at the Deferred Membership revenue changes.
Nov 02, 2017, 05:36 PM
STICKS FORWARD!
Quote:
Making some progress. Got a response to one note saying that "it should have been posted in July" and that it would be up shortly. Ok, but the point is it wasn't up in July ... which in my mind speaks volumes about how our membership dollars are paying people for jobs that are clearly not getting done. That said, perhaps there's another reason it wasn't posted.

I'm reluctant to post numbers in this forum from a members only document. But I'd encourage folks to go look at the following revenue areas: club charter fee changes, park pilot magazine, model aviation ads, model aviation subscriptions.

In terms of expenses, looks at membership processing expense change, as well as AMA Expo expense changes

Maybe this is the result of incompetency, as you mentioned.
Nov 02, 2017, 08:39 PM
Quote:

Should of! Would of! Could of! as my wife would say.

Curiously the 2016 financials are MIA. Suspicious? Maybe. How about after considering the AMA is doing a fund raising event on 28 November. Isn't membership renewal due by the first of the year still?
Nov 02, 2017, 08:40 PM
Quote:
Maybe this is the result of incompetency, as you mentioned.
Peter Principle in the AMA.
Nov 03, 2017, 11:34 AM
They posted the medical claim history yesterday. Said "they're working on" getting the others posted.

Why is it that people who are paid with member funds seem to so easily forget to post this information, overlook the fact that it's not posted, or just simply don't do their jobs?
Nov 03, 2017, 12:09 PM
Quote:
They posted the medical claim history yesterday. Said "they're working on" getting the others posted.

Why is it that people who are paid with member funds seem to so easily forget to post this information, overlook the fact that it's not posted, or just simply don't do their jobs?
They have a good gig and they know it. Some have been there for what? 30 years? They know things no one else does. Skeletons if you will. They're pretty well convinced they can't be got rid of. So why should they do anything they really don't have to?

They lack ethics! Maybe never had any to begin with.
Nov 03, 2017, 01:27 PM
STICKS FORWARD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK001
They have a good gig and they know it. Some have been there for what? 30 years? They know things no one else does. Skeletons if you will. They're pretty well convinced they can't be got rid of. So why should they do anything they really don't have to?

They lack ethics! Maybe never had any to begin with.
I wonder how many Members actually inquired about the missing Revenue/ Expenditure posting?
Nov 03, 2017, 02:40 PM
Drone offender FA377YHFNC
Quote:
Why is it that you are the first to ask them about the dereliction of duty? That's even more scary than their incompetence. It means the membership doesn't care. Maybe they're just resigned to AMA's incompetency.
Nov 03, 2017, 04:16 PM
Quote:
I wonder how many Members actually inquired about the missing Revenue/ Expenditure posting?
We're I a member, I would. I believe Franklin is not the only nor the first to inquire. But I believe he is the most persistent.