DIY large scale coaxial heli AND controls to new radio (FrSky Taranis X9D) - RC Groups
Oct 30, 2017, 02:02 PM
Discussion

DIY large scale coaxial heli AND controls to new radio (FrSky Taranis X9D)

Hello everyone. My project involves converting a larger scale coaxial helicopter (much larger than the indoor sized ones) from 49 MHz controller to 2.4 GHz so there can be more servos and channels for brushed ESCs. The mechanics and controls are the same from the fun indoor coaxial rc helis with counter rotating propellers and a vertical lift propeller on the tail for forward and backward movement.

I'm keeping the same brushed motors that fit in their mounts inside the chassis and connecting them to 20 A brushed ESCs. Also adding a brushless ESC for a brushless motor for a prop mounted for horizontal thrust at the tail (pusher prop). The controller I'm planning on using is the FrSky Taranis X9D which with OpenTX I'm hoping will suit controls setup.

In the MIXER, I'm having a little trouble figuring out how to connect the motors to the correct channels while still maintaining the yaw channel controlling the bottom rotor. I'd like to have the two rotor ESCs connected to the same channel controls, but have the bottom rotor connected to the yaw channel as well. I'm wondering if it would be possible to put two PWM wires in parallel from different channels from the rx to essentially give the bottom rotor a subtrim+yaw control?

Thanks any help and input is apprciated
to remove ads between posts
Nov 02, 2017, 01:20 PM
I've found a way to have the coaxial rotors have differential thrust with the OpenTX companion software. I just need to translate it from the computer software to a model on my X9D so I can use the programmed mixer in real life. So, I think I'll try to sync up transmitters using the miniUSB to USB cable. *added pictures to show companion software
Last edited by rcmatador; Nov 02, 2017 at 01:26 PM.