Homemade LED wiring harness suggestions - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 30, 2017, 12:03 PM
Discussion

Homemade LED wiring harness suggestions

Hi guys. I'd like to make a quick-disconnect LED wiring harness for my Tamiya Tundra. I've looked for parts on DigiKey but I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for. I need wire-to-wire multi-circuit connectors with high-gauge wire. I'm using 26 and 28 gauge wire with the TLU-02 multi-function unit, which pushes 16 mA through each circuit. I have 8 circuits going to the cab and 9 going to the bed, so I'm looking for up to 18 conductors on the connectors. Any suggestions? Here's what the wiring looks like now.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 30, 2017, 02:45 PM
DuPont (Servo plugs) are available with 2 rows and up to like 20 pins per row.
Or Sub-D, those are sturdy, but big...
Or those flat cable connectors (IDC) you may know as IDE-cable...
Oct 30, 2017, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by learningarduino
DuPont (Servo plugs) are available with 2 rows and up to like 20 pins per row.
Or Sub-D, those are sturdy, but big...
Or those flat cable connectors (IDC) you may know as IDE-cable...
Thanks! I'm looking at this https://www.amazon.com/Hilitchi-2-54...YRN0WBJK2PNAGZ

Is it worth buying the crimping tool?
Oct 30, 2017, 05:32 PM
For just 20 poles just for the lights not, i'd solder and then use pliers for the strain relief crimp.

If you think about shorting ESC and servo cables, modifying more models, pull & plug those plugs often or just to have peace of mind and make cables like a professional then yes.
It's always better to use professional tools. Dunno if a 21$ tool is professional (the original is like 500$, but works exact and for at least 100K pins), but better than nothing.
Oct 31, 2017, 09:23 AM
No bounce, No play.
If you want to crimp that tool will be more than great for stuff like lights. I use one for custom servo wiring for many, many crimps. No issues. May not make as pretty as the $500 version but is fully functional and secure. Just takes some practice and a few wasted pins maybe to get the hang of it.

........Assuming it is of similar quality. I paid like $45CAD in a local shop.........