Paul Kohlmann Grumman Goose - RC Groups
Oct 29, 2017, 09:03 PM
Watch out for that planet....
Build Log

Paul Kohlmann Grumman Goose

With my last 2 builds completed and now flying it is time to get something else on the building bench.

I have had this kit in the stash for a while now, and even though I have yet to complete Paul's Miles M-20, (which is up to the covering stage) I really wanted to start building this one. The aim is to get it finished for the end of our float flying season, the last flying day of which is on December 9. We will see but it's good to have a deadline!

My aim is to do this one in a dope and paint finish for better waterproofing. My current water plane has a film finish and the water gets under the covering ever time I fly. I don't want that! Also if it has a paint finish it won't look like just another ARF!

Yesterday I cleared off my building bench with the intention of covering it with My other current project ( Ex Pat Lynch Avro Anson), and before I knew what I was doing I had half a Goose fuselage side and some tail bows made. I guess I have to clear off bench no. 2 (currently junk storage) for Annie. Bench no 3 is currently occupied by Miles M-20 and is too small for Annie (84 inches of Anson is a lot of Airplane, even disassembled !).
I think I need more work benches!

Only deviation from design is the substitution of basswood for the stringers instead of Balsa.

Cheers,
Shane.
Last edited by Shane McMillan; Oct 30, 2017 at 04:02 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 30, 2017, 12:03 AM
Res Ipsa Aviatur
Hi Shane,

You have three workbenches going? My hero!

(and thanks for spelling my name right, too

Paul
Oct 30, 2017, 02:01 AM
Hi Paul,

Welcome along!

Re the work benches, If I include the machinery (drill press, sander , scroll saw, vice etc.) bench then I have 4. The lathe has it's own bench and the band saw has it's own stand. I need more room.......... Just wish I was capable of keeping it clean and tidy. Actually, if I kept it clean and tidy I wouldn't need more room!

Shane.
Oct 30, 2017, 02:18 AM
Res Ipsa Aviatur
Hi Shane,

Well I guess that brings you down to mortal level.

Lol--I just looked again now that the game is over. My name is missing it's "l"--Kohlmann

Paul
Oct 30, 2017, 04:03 AM
Dohhhhhhh!

Sorry Paul,

I should have picked that up! Was only a Typo! fat fingers!

Shane
Oct 30, 2017, 03:03 PM
Res Ipsa Aviatur
Don't worry, Shane--its a life sentence for me

Are you done yet? You were moving at a pretty good clip.

Paul
Oct 30, 2017, 04:06 PM
Hi Paul,

Only managed a couple of hours on the Goose last night. The office kept me busy, another 12 hour day. Don't let anybody tell you that you can't be busy making false teeth for a living!). I guess something has to pay for building your planes. ( Yes I am still watching the P-36 Hawk evolve). You must have known I have a soft spot for that airplane.!

Here's where I got up to:

Shane.
Oct 30, 2017, 06:25 PM
Stole some more time before work today to get some more done. Don't want you to think I'm slacking off Paul!

Now have all the stringers in place and ready to sheet the 2nd side hull bottom.

I took some pictures of the slicing jig I made to cut the 1/16 X 3/32 Bass stringers. I was afraid my balsa stripper would not handle the bass wood very well.
Photos should explain....

Cheers,
Shane.
Oct 30, 2017, 08:13 PM
I may be some time ....
Nice to see one of these being built among all the cool projects that are kicking off just now. The Goose is a small but perfectly formed flying boat. Have fun!

Alec
Oct 31, 2017, 02:38 PM
Big gov never Works
Everytime I see one of these being built, I want one. Good work, Shane.

Fuzz
Oct 31, 2017, 11:16 PM
Alec,

Thanks for watching. Yes it has quite a nice shape to it! Dare I say cute!

Fuzz,

Thanks mate! I guess you'll just have to talk to Tom, and plans will cost you less than I had to pay as a non AMA member, and no international shipping for you either!

Struggling for time to build this week. Getting sick of working 12+ hour days but they tell me it goes with being self - employed... Still I managed a few hours between afternoon and morning shift. I kept breaking off the side wing LE.. mount plates from the fuselage so decided it was a good idea to build up the cabin roof structure now so these plates are reinforced.

Also got the hull bottom fully sheeted using lots of water and cloudy ammonia to mould the bow sheeting without breaking. Used the heat gun to dry and set the sheeting, then a mix of Cyano and Balsa Cement to glue the sheeting in place.

Made up the nose block from patterns provided on the plans and also made the second tailplane bow.

Cheers,
Shane.
Oct 31, 2017, 11:32 PM
Res Ipsa Aviatur
Hi Shane--sounds like your boss is a real slave driver. At work and at home! You're halfway done and you haven't even gotten off of Page 1 yet

Looks great. Looking forward to what livery you choose. So many options.

Paul
Nov 01, 2017, 01:20 AM
Hi Shane--I just got this kit last week, but I want to see how you waterproof yours before I start building mine. I just have a bad feeling about combining balsa and water!
Nov 01, 2017, 06:06 PM
Paul,

Yes definitely a slave driver is my boss, but he let's me post things here at work and do other model related stuff, as well as letting me have flexible hours when I need it so not all bad, even if the hours are sometimes tough..

Jay,

Water proofing will be the old fashioned way, dope. Covering will probably be silk and dope, although it could be Polyspan. I still haven't decided. More old fashioned stuff either way. My experience with seaplanes is that film will eventually lift and water will get in. A well sealed and tough surface is desirable. I do remember Paul saying in his original thread that the Monokote covering gave trouble. Paul have I remembered this correctly?

Managed to sneak a few hours in to glue on and shape the nose block, and also built up a chine from 1/4 triangle stock balsa. This should help keep the spray down. I found the nose laminations as copied from plan actually a little small. I had some edge gaps left which I have filled. If I had made each piece a few millimetres bigger it would have turned out neater.

Anyway I now have the basic fuselage complete ready for detail sanding.

Next up the tail surfaces. Stay tuned folks...

Shane.
Nov 01, 2017, 06:46 PM
Always liked these Goofy airplanes Watching along happily.
Note the the spray skirt.. in real life, is a tacked on sheet metal strip.
Likely easier to model as a bit of thin Ply, or even Ali. Tougher too :-)