The FAA will have to start limiting flying “Something” - RC Groups
Oct 29, 2017, 08:57 PM
Here to just enjoy the hobby
Discussion

The FAA will have to start limiting flying “Something”

What was it? This time the pilots did not see what it was.
https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2017/10...sell-westbrook
Latest blog entry: All things that fly.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 29, 2017, 11:09 PM
What does this button do?
And yet again...whadyaknow...the plane didn't drop from the sky in a ball of flame and nobody died. Nothing to see move along.
Oct 29, 2017, 11:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by z10user
And yet again...whadyaknow...the plane didn't drop from the sky in a ball of flame and nobody died. Nothing to see move along.
I look forward to the day you are riding in the back of an aircraft that has an impact in flight like this. You have NO IDEA how traumatic such an event is. Just because nobody died doesn’t mean this was no big deal. Your insolent tone and implication just shows your lack of maturity.

RStrowe
Oct 30, 2017, 12:07 AM
My "insolent tone" and "lack of maturity" comes as a response to the doomsayers predicting that the end of the world will happen when an aircraft hits anything in the sky.
That's all.
If those predictions would back off the hyperbole and hysteria then we can all think about and maybe even accept sensible, measured responses to the ACTUAL risk of hitting any small thing up there. Bird or hobby aircraft.
Oct 30, 2017, 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RStrowe
I look forward to the day you are riding in the back of an aircraft that has an impact in flight like this. You have NO IDEA how traumatic such an event is. Just because nobody died doesn’t mean this was no big deal. Your insolent tone and implication just shows your lack of maturity.

RStrowe
Um, they did not have a traumatic flight, in fact other than the pilots nobody knew there was any damage till on the ground.
Oct 30, 2017, 11:39 AM
Quote:
... You have NO IDEA how traumatic such an event is. ...
RStrowe
How many times has it happened to you where a plane you were in hit something while in flight? Please detail your experiences so we can get an "IDEA how traumatic such an event is".

Thanks.
Oct 30, 2017, 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssobol
How many times has it happened to you where a plane you were in hit something while in flight? Please detail your experiences so we can get an "IDEA how traumatic such an event is".

Thanks.
Late 60's. Plane was a Piper Cherokee 180. Father and I were having a joy ride. Loud whack that startled us and I believed I felt a slight shudder in the plane. I was on the wheel at the time.

After landing we found a mark on the right leading edge of the wing with some blood. No damage other than paint. Believed at the time it was a Starling we hit.

As far as trauma? It made us both pucker pretty well.
Oct 30, 2017, 02:00 PM
Never hit a bird. Saw lots of them and either I avoided them or they avoided me. However I did hit an object in the air. But the object was from the plane. The spinner came loose and hit the right wing. It hit the prop as well but nothing but a nick which was filed out. The nick was small, smaller than some left by gravel. I guess because aluminum is softer than gravel. Very small dent and scratch on right outboard part of the wing.
Oct 30, 2017, 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssobol

Thanks.
1st bird strike was a seagull at 8,000’ over the meadowlands (NJ). Dented the leading edge up to the wing spar. Cessna 182. The photographer I was flying gave up aerial photography after that.

2nd was an owl, at 4,000’. In my own aircraft. A Bellanca Viking. Right through the windshield. I know it was an owl because it left a gash over my left eye and ended up in the back seat.

3rd was a flock of starlings. Destroyed about $20,000.00 of deicing boots and caused a flameout of the single PT-6A on the Cessna Caravan I was flying. Luckily I was in the landing flare when that one happened.

4th was two Canada geese and a CRJ2. One took out the right landing light. The other went through the right nose equipment bay and almost the nose bulkhead.

Every single one gave me pause to think if this was a good idea. And yes I survived every single encounter (although I stopped flying for about 6 months after the owl).

What so many in the drone community don’t seem to get though is that you never know which one will be just a little too much, and end in tragedy. Birds have in fact caused fatal accidents. Just because a drone hasn’t caused on yet doesn’t mean it won’t happen. That is what the FAA is going to base regulation on. And frankly, the more opposition they see from the ‘I can fly anywhere and do anything with my drone’ crowd, the more draconian they are likely to be.

RStrowe
Oct 30, 2017, 03:59 PM
Quote:
...snip...
What so many in the drone community don’t seem to get though is that you never know which one will be just a little too much, and end in tragedy. Birds have in fact caused fatal accidents. Just because a drone hasn’t caused on yet doesn’t mean it won’t happen. That is what the FAA is going to base regulation on. And frankly, the more opposition they see from the ‘I can fly anywhere and do anything with my drone’ crowd, the more draconian they are likely to be.

RStrowe
And here again is the rub. There is no crowd. It would be a miniscule few idiots that might actually be at all inclined, or to ignorantly do so, put their hobby aircraft in harms way. The massively vast majority would not be idiots. They would be the thinking responsible hobbyists. And as we all know you can't legislate idiots. You can, however, educate and with public awareness and peer pressure and embarrass those that might want to be idiots.
And again you're predicting the falling sky. We now have a couple events that have shown that the mere impacting of something has not brought down the manned aircraft.
Oct 30, 2017, 04:07 PM
Quote:
.................................................. ..........

RStrowe
Plus 1

In the meantime you have the "wait until something happens" crowd doing battle with the "Big government tell me what to do" crowd. Both place anyone who disagrees with them into the others radical camp. Neither will bother to hold a legitimate discussion.

In the meantime, the rest of us know that unless and until the hobby demonstrates it can self regulate itself, it's only a matter of time before the FAA comes down on us. How hard depends on a number of factors. But the FAA is convinced a drone could cause a serious incident. And they are fully prepared to shut us down completely if necessary to avoid that.

I don't give a hoot what statistics you can throw up. What matters is what the FAA believes. And it believes that it needs to do whatever is necessary to save LIVES.

Argue all you want. But people at the extremes are hurting this hobby far more than helping it.
Oct 30, 2017, 04:11 PM
Commander, U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK001
Plus 1

In the meantime you have the "wait until something happens" crowd doing battle with the "Big government tell me what to do" crowd. Both place anyone who disagrees with them into the others radical camp. Neither will bother to hold a legitimate discussion.

In the meantime, the rest of us know that unless and until the hobby demonstrates it can self regulate itself, it's only a matter of time before the FAA comes down on us. How hard depends on a number of factors. But the FAA is convinced a drone could cause a serious incident. And they are fully prepared to shut us down completely if necessary to avoid that.

I don't give a hoot what statistics you can throw up. What matters is what the FAA believes. And it believes that it needs to do whatever is necessary to save LIVES.

Argue all you want. But people at the extremes are hurting this hobby far more than helping it.
I have to agree and would add that
- The PUBLIC is convinced a drone could cause a serious incident
- The MEDIA is convinced a drone could cause a serious incident
- Many ELECTED REPRESENTATIVES are convinced a drone could cause a serious incident
- Many NON-ELECTED OFFICIALS (i.e. regulators at state/local level) are convinced a drone could cause a serious incident
With this aligned, it's not IF there's additional regulation, it's a matter of WHEN. And it can only be accelerated with more reports of irresponsible and dangerous behavior that is not addressed (whether private, at an AMA event, etc.).
Oct 30, 2017, 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by z10user
And here again is the rub. There is no crowd. It would be a miniscule few idiots that might actually be at all inclined, or to ignorantly do so, put their hobby aircraft in harms way. The massively vast majority would not be idiots. They would be the thinking responsible hobbyists. And as we all know you can't legislate idiots. You can, however, educate and with public awareness and peer pressure and embarrass those that might want to be idiots.
And again you're predicting the falling sky. We now have a couple events that have shown that the mere impacting of something has not brought down the manned aircraft.
And I have provided links to bird strikes that HAVE brought down aircraft and resulted in fatalities. You choose to disregard them.

What you do not and refuse to understand and accept about the FAA is that they DO NOT CARE about the responsible operators. If everyone was responsible then maybe they would leave us alone (not likely, but hey...). I agree that you cannot regulate the idiots, but this is the FAA we are talking about here.

We have had solid, scientific evidence that with the advent of the jet age with airliners, that 'jet lag' became a real issue, along with the effects of fatigue. Decades of scientific evidence. NTSB recommendations. Yet the FAA, when they feel they are right about something (drone registration, in this case), they will dig in their heels big time. It's what they do. Regarding flight time/duty time regs, it took an ACT OF CONGRESS to impel the FAA to actually change them. And they still screwed them up!, as they still favor the airlines and not the pilots that the regs actually effect. The FAA will act the same way regarding drone regulation. They will go way overboard, and botch it up as well.

RStrowe
Oct 30, 2017, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin_m
I have to agree and would add that
- The PUBLIC is convinced a drone could cause a serious incident
- The MEDIA is convinced a drone could cause a serious incident
- Many ELECTED REPRESENTATIVES are convinced a drone could cause a serious incident
- Many NON-ELECTED OFFICIALS (i.e. regulators at state/local level) are convinced a drone could cause a serious incident
With this aligned, it's not IF there's additional regulation, it's a matter of WHEN. And it can only be accelerated with more reports of irresponsible and dangerous behavior that is not addressed (whether private, at an AMA event, etc.).
Yep.

I was originally in the 'leave us alone/no registration/no regulation crowd'. Ideally I would prefer to not have any still. But what I have come to grips with is that a small minority is going to have a dramatic effect on the majority of responsible, safe R/C operators. So I choose to try and work with the FAA and try to influence their direction when these regulations come, and believe me, THEY WILL COME!

RStrowe
Oct 30, 2017, 04:20 PM
Quote:
Yep.

I was originally in the 'leave us alone/no registration/no regulation crowd'. Ideally I would prefer to not have any still. But what I have come to grips with is that a small minority is going to have a dramatic effect on the majority of responsible, safe R/C operators. So I choose to try and work with the FAA and try to influence their direction when these regulations come, and believe me, THEY WILL COME!

RStrowe
^ This makes sense. See...that wasn't hard. All you had to do was make sense . Anywho...as have I. Giving my feedback and suggestions to the relevant regulating bodies.