Smith Miniplane plans? - RC Groups
Oct 29, 2017, 06:33 PM
Discussion

Smith Miniplane plans?

I'd like to build a quarter scale Smith Miniplane, but can't find plans. I know Sig makes a kit at a smaller scale, but they lengthened the fuselage. It probably handles much better that way, but it doesn't look like a Miniplane to me. I know there is a half scale short kit available, but that is way too big for me. I think Traplet had a version, but they are apparently defunct.

At quarter scale, the Miniplane comes to a 51 inch span and 46 inch length, which will fit in the back of my car fully assembled. Sounds perfect.

The best I've done so far is a good 3 view and an old CL model published in AAM that is available at Outerzone. Any other sources?

Jim
to remove ads between posts
Oct 29, 2017, 11:13 PM
Have you looked at the AMA plans service? Worth a peek, they can size any plan to suit you for a price.
Jim
Oct 30, 2017, 06:06 PM
Duh! I forgot about them, thanks. They have a Sid Morgan plan scaled to 48 inches. It's 29 bucks, and I don't know what they would want to make it bigger so it would be quarter scale. I hate to do it sight unseen, but it might be good. Anyone know anything about this plan?

Jim
Nov 03, 2017, 06:51 AM
Hi Buzz , I have the SIG plans for the 40 size plane . I think the fuz is 37" and w.s. 42 " . What ya think ?
Nov 03, 2017, 08:45 AM
Thanks Pope, your message prompted me to re-calculate. I had thought the Sig fuse was 2.5 inches too long, but when I just went to the website they had 44 inch span and 40.38 inch length. That's only 1 inch too long. I could adjust for that pretty easily using a 3 view. Then take to a copy center and have them blow it up to quarter scale. That might work after all! Thanks for bringing that up.

Jim
Nov 03, 2017, 05:11 PM
What I failed to say is if u want it its all yours . Let me know . Cheers
Nov 03, 2017, 07:51 PM
Thank you! Sending pm. Jim
Nov 03, 2017, 08:23 PM
Pm back at cha
Nov 05, 2017, 08:32 PM
Another pm sent and no Im not a stalker !
Nov 05, 2017, 10:15 PM
Ha! Thanks so much for sending them. Jim
Nov 09, 2017, 06:33 AM
There is a guy who made up a set of plans for a quarter scale (or maybe larger) miniplane. He's a scale flyer and builder. The plans were for sale at a swap meet in Alabama some time ago. He might have also had landing gear and a cowl for it, I don't remember. I also think he's either a member of RCUniverse or rcscalebuilder. Try posting your request over there and see if anybody pops up.

I was thinking of getting the plans myself but didn't.

Carl
Nov 09, 2017, 07:18 AM
OK, thanks Carl.

The cowl is a problem. I want to do C-FFAM, which had a different cowl from the original. I'd like to get one from Fiberglass Specialties, but I don't know what would fit and look right. Might have to learn to make my own.

It had different landing gear too, but I think that's not so hard.
Nov 10, 2017, 09:10 AM
cowls are fun and easy to make. Glue up some Styrofoam blocks, make a couple of balsa patterns on each end, sand to shape. Then glass the thing and dig out the foam. Not a big deal. I've made quite a few.

carl
Nov 10, 2017, 09:57 AM
I've done all-balsa cowls, but not fiberglass. Thanks for the tips and encouragement.

Concerning a different airplane, how about round, rotary WWI types? Seems I'd need a way of turning the foam.

Jim