Nov 16, 2017, 02:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaTim
The rain FINALLY stopped long enough in the Pacific Northwest to do the maiden and a couple more flights on the new Legacy Aviation 72" Muscle Coupe!! What a sweetheart of a sport flyer, especially when you set it up by the book instead of just eyeballing it... 😁 I used the same setup as I have on my Turbo duster and Bushmaster and was thrilled with how graceful she flew. I actually found myself taking out a little more rudder and it just made it that much more clean.

In order to have full length ailerons I only have one setting of flaps (about 30 degrees) but with about 14 degrees of down mixed in she would idle in at a crawl! full-length ailerons make it roll axial like an Extra while ailerons only will need some differential.

For sure it's a great addition to the Legacy Aviation lineup and I can't wait to take her out again!!

Attachment 10512867 Attachment 10512868 Attachment 10512869
Really nice pictures !! Looks great !! Keep us posted on how it's flyin.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 16, 2017, 07:28 PM
Owner/Operator at NorthWest RC
Surface condition was a little rough as another storm was blowing in but it was the only dry spell in the forecast and I couldn't resist!! Only had to shift the battery forward about an inch to maintain the same CG and get the same silky smooth flying as on wheels. Hoping I get to spend more time with the Muscle Coupe on floats (and wheels...) 😁

Name: 20171116_090509.jpg
Views: 155
Size: 1.15 MB
Description:
Nov 17, 2017, 08:08 AM
Received mine yesterday totally impressed by the quality.
Nov 23, 2017, 09:20 AM
Ordered servos savox sv1250's, extensions, pulse 6s 3700's and 16x7 prop yesterday. Now on to build
Nov 27, 2017, 08:32 AM

Muscle Coup (in blue & yellow)

Mine showed up in the big brown truck, love that truck! This is a Christmas present so I'm not allowed to start building till after Christmas but I convinced my wife that it was imperative to do a full inspection to be sure there wasn't any damage during shipping. There was a nasty looking hole in the box which helped make my point. Of course there wasn't any damage. It was very nicely packed but I could not find the manual. I have the Aces High Fock Wulf and that manual was hidden in the wing bag. I asked Tim and he said there is only the download manual as of now. No biggie.
Wow, what a beauty. I love all the windows..that said, I want to CA the joints but I'm so afraid of fogging. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can CA the joints without risking fogging the windows?
I spoke to Tim at Northwest RC, what a great guy and a wealth of information on this plane and I imagine everything they sell. I'm going with the recommended power setup. He explained his transmitter set up where a 3 position switch toggles from full aileron which is using the flaps as ailerons too to Aileron/Flap, and 3rd position is normal ailerons no flap. I will be using that set up.
Nov 27, 2017, 10:14 PM
3D Addict
I am close to completion. One of the easiest planes I have built. The stab keyed in perfect and was aligned when pushing forward to it's stop. Rudder fit well with the carbon tubes. I think there has been a change in the elevator servo location and orientation of the pushrod, manual (arm down) vs what you usually see on EF/3DHS planes with the arm up. I went with what I know - arm up tucked under the stab. There was a slightly longer pushrod taped in the box next to the long rudder pushrod that was the perfect length. Maybe they made a change on the fly - see picture. I also noticed the rudder profile is rounder at the bottom on mine vs the main picture on the website which required a slight bend to the tail wheel bracket. No big deal. Maybe another change to accomodate the float sub rudder interface.

The cowl fit perfect on the fuse and the presanded blocks.

I painted the cowl ring flat black and looking at other pics I think I would paint the inside area and motor box flat black also for appearance. Definitely getting the white 16 x 7 Xoar for the future and maybe the EF spinner.

Next 50-degree day I will be in the air! Good tip from SupaTim on the aileron flap mix and settings.
Nov 28, 2017, 12:23 AM
I need one of these, I think Iím going to add it to my Christmas list.
Nov 29, 2017, 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfabeast
I am close to completion. One of the easiest planes I have built. The stab keyed in perfect and was aligned when pushing forward to it's stop. Rudder fit well with the carbon tubes. I think there has been a change in the elevator servo location and orientation of the pushrod, manual (arm down) vs what you usually see on EF/3DHS planes with the arm up. I went with what I know - arm up tucked under the stab. There was a slightly longer pushrod taped in the box next to the long rudder pushrod that was the perfect length. Maybe they made a change on the fly - see picture. I also noticed the rudder profile is rounder at the bottom on mine vs the main picture on the website which required a slight bend to the tail wheel bracket. No big deal. Maybe another change to accomodate the float sub rudder interface.

The cowl fit perfect on the fuse and the presanded blocks.

I painted the cowl ring flat black and looking at other pics I think I would paint the inside area and motor box flat black also for appearance. Definitely getting the white 16 x 7 Xoar for the future and maybe the EF spinner.

Next 50-degree day I will be in the air! Good tip from SupaTim on the aileron flap mix and settings.
Thanks for the tips on the elevator servo setup and the tail wheel bracket, also painting the motor box etc...I will definitely be doing those.
Please let us know how the maiden went.
As for anyone that's thinking about getting one, Northwest RC is having a free shipping sale over the holidays so now's the time!

PS- Is there room in the cockpit for a pilot? I'm assuming this is 1/5th scale?
Last edited by badbob10; Nov 29, 2017 at 08:15 AM.
Nov 30, 2017, 07:16 PM
3D Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob10
Thanks for the tips on the elevator servo setup and the tail wheel bracket, also painting the motor box etc...I will definitely be doing those.
Please let us know how the maiden went.
As for anyone that's thinking about getting one, Northwest RC is having a free shipping sale over the holidays so now's the time!

PS- Is there room in the cockpit for a pilot? I'm assuming this is 1/5th scale?
There's room in there - most likely you would add a shelf forward of the existing cross member. I was thinking Santa Claus would like good in my red/white and maybe some Coca Cola logo's in script. No maiden yet - Wednesday would have been perfect but I had to go out and do my road warrior sales job for a few days,
Dec 02, 2017, 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfabeast
There's room in there - most likely you would add a shelf forward of the existing cross member. I was thinking Santa Claus would like good in my red/white and maybe some Coca Cola logo's in script. No maiden yet - Wednesday would have been perfect but I had to go out and do my road warrior sales job for a few days,
Thanks for the reply alfabeast...any suggestions on the ca fogging situation? Did you wick thin ca into the joints?
Dec 06, 2017, 08:39 AM
100% electric since 1990
Thread OP
Quote:
Mine showed up in the big brown truck, love that truck!

Wow, what a beauty. I love all the windows..that said, I want to CA the joints but I'm so afraid of fogging. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can CA the joints without risking fogging the windows?
Bob,

You can try using yellow wood glue instead of ca. You actually get a better glue joint hardwood to hardwood or plywood to plywood with wood glue than ca, in my opinion, and no fogging.
I found an empty bottle at a local Michaels craft store, with a fine tip just like a ca bottle. I fill that with wood glue and use it for fine applications like this.

Edit: you can also use “foam safe” ca glue but the trade off it it is even more brittle than regular ca.
Last edited by twest; Dec 06, 2017 at 02:33 PM.
Dec 07, 2017, 12:05 PM

Propellers

Quote:
Mine showed up in the big brown truck, love that truck! This is a Christmas present so I'm not allowed to start building till after Christmas but I convinced my wife that it was imperative to do a full inspection to be sure there wasn't any damage during shipping..
I see some very good looking props on your table. Where did you get them?
-Vic
Dec 07, 2017, 06:13 PM

CA fogging

Quote:
Originally Posted by twest
Bob,

You can try using yellow wood glue instead of ca. You actually get a better glue joint hardwood to hardwood or plywood to plywood with wood glue than ca, in my opinion, and no fogging.
I found an empty bottle at a local Michaels craft store, with a fine tip just like a ca bottle. I fill that with wood glue and use it for fine applications like this.

Edit: you can also use “foam safe” ca glue but the trade off it it is even more brittle than regular ca.
Thanks for your suggestions...all very useful...my flying buddy friend suggested putting painters tape on the windows before...good idea also. I found that Scratch Doctor from Ace Hardware works great at removing CA fogging, works great!! I'm sure tooth paste and mild rubbing compound will also work great..I have the Aces High Focke Wulf and have experienced an unfortunate mid air, my FW met up with my friend's FW... but his was the slightly smaller foam version from Motion RC....needless to say, my FW won... but not really.......when the planes met, he took off half my prop which from the ground made a horrifying sound! then it continued on with a full body assault to my left wing ..by the time I pulled off the throttle, the damage to the motor box had been done, ripped apart...I managed to land my plane with control surfaces still working...The other guy went down in spectacular crash glory...sorry Mike...I have the photos if anyone would like to see.
Dec 07, 2017, 06:19 PM

Props

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iflyrc_vic
I see some very good looking props on your table. Where did you get them?
-Vic
I enjoy painting props...there are many planes in my club sporting my painted props...thank you!
~
want your prop painted?
Dec 07, 2017, 06:24 PM
Quote:
I enjoy painting props...there are many planes in my club sporting my painted props...thank you!
~
want your prop painted?
Yes, send me a PM about the details.
thanks,
-vic

Quick Reply