Replacing a DLE 111/120 Propeller Drive Hub Nut - RC Groups
Oct 29, 2017, 03:27 PM
Mini-HowTo

Replacing a DLE 111/120 Propeller Drive Hub Nut

Replacing a DLE center prop shaft nut is easy. Unfortunately the tip of a long aluminum spinner bolt broke off into my prop drive hub nut so it had to be replaced. Alternatively, Falcon makes carbon fiber spinners that attach to the backplate with multiple bolts from the sides so you don’t always have to switch out the prop shaft for center bolt-on spinners. I however want to use the spinner that came with my 106” 3DHS Edge because it looks awesome and really makes the plane stand out.

To start, you’ll need a 3/8” ratchet with a 13mm deep socket for DA-100 or DLE 85/111/120. If you have another engine you may need a smaller/larger socket but everything else remains the same. Next grab a spare piece of plywood and use either a pre drilled propeller or a drill guide to drill some holes in it. Then you bolt that plywood onto your hub like I show in the picture so you can hold the hub steady while you twist counter clockwise with the socket wrench. Just make sure you drill out the center hole big enough to fit the socket wrench. I used a large drill bit and then opened it up with a dremel sanding wheel.

If the engine is bolted onto your plane you will need to place your knee under the socket while you apply torque. Otherwise the torque and downpressure gets transferred to your landing gear. You can lay a soft pillow on top of your knee if you have serious knee problems but honestly it’s hardly any pressure at all and lasts a second. Otherwise twist the wrench and bada bing bada boom your prop shaft nut is free. I ordered a replacement off Walmart.com. Just type in Propeller Drive Hub Nut and specify which type of motor you have. I paid $12.08 with shipping included. Not too shabby.

Good luck!
Last edited by VF12345; Oct 29, 2017 at 07:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 29, 2017, 05:04 PM
Mumbling in the corner.
Great solution!
Oct 29, 2017, 06:27 PM
This is a different process than pulling the hub. For that you will need a hub puller. Taking out the prop shaft nut is easy and cheap. If you have excess vibration after a nose-in crash sometimes swapping out this inexpensive part can solve that issue.
Nov 18, 2017, 07:59 AM
Thanks for Posting this
Nov 20, 2017, 06:31 AM
You don’t need all of those bolt holes FYI. Two or three are just fine. I got a little carried away with the drill haha.