Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Old Nov 12, 2004, 05:08 PM
ave
Find More Posts by ave
ave
Wind Junkie
Question

broken Futaba receiver, worth send in for repair?

I have a R148DF that took a hard hit and broke a few solder joints(which are tiny!) on the connector panel. If I wedge something in behind the board it works fine, but occationally it will flake out until I fiddle with it again.

I asked Futaba support for an idea of the cost to resolder these, or do what they think is needed, but they just send me to a generic page with prices that don't help much.

Is it worth sending in? Should I just invest in a micro soldering iron+magnifying glass and fix it myself? Looks like a bare minimum if I just send it in to look at it, it's going to cost me $30 even if they can't fix it(shipping both ways + default repair labor).

If I knew it was going to be half the cost of the receiver to fix I'd just buy a new(cheaper) receiver and the save this one for fomies....

What do you think?

thx,
ave-
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2004, 10:20 PM
Find More Posts by Russell2
Well if it took that hard a hit, probably more wrong than is apparent. The Futaba ceramic filters are prone to damage in bad crash. On other hand, I had a 127 DF repaired once by them, charged me $15 and paid the return shipping, and the receiver is still going strong. I thought the 148 was the hi dollar one? I'd be tempted to send it in, ask them to call you with the cost before they fix it. I think if you try to fix it yourself, you will regret it maybe because of a crashed plane.