Is there a rc flight sim that works w vr Rift? - RC Groups
Oct 29, 2017, 01:49 PM
Discussion

Is there a rc flight sim that works w vr Rift?

Been using the rift on my pc and was looking for an rc flight sim that works with it for winter training.

Thank you
to remove ads between posts
Oct 31, 2017, 11:12 AM
Well, I just hooked up my CV1 to RF8. It's going to take a lot of work to get the graphics settings right. The main problem is the graphics are entirely washed out. Extremely difficult to see the airplanes. The plus side is that it runs fine without any stutter.
Nov 03, 2017, 01:09 PM
Knife Edge Software
kdunlap, we've just posted a list of VR Tips. Perhaps there will be some information there that will help you tune your experience.
Nov 05, 2017, 08:16 PM
Thanks. There is a bug "fix" that I hope you would work on. In RF8 there is a setting in the aircraft editor that allows you to change the visual scale of the airplane up to 400%. The comment says this only affects visual performance. In RF8 changing this setting seemingly also scales the weight of the airplane. Try this, load an airplane and then increase it to 400%. You will see in the sim that it sinks on the landing gear like the weight is increased 400% and also the performance falls over a cliff because the engine power is kept at 100%. I think the bigger plane will make visualization better, but this scaling bug needs to be fixed. BTW I get 90 FPS because I built an overclocked super computer for VR. I think a gamma setting would help as well.
Nov 06, 2017, 02:35 AM
Tom Para

RF8 Unuseable With The Oculus DK2

I just received all my stuff to get going with RF8 Vr.

Computer is a I7 6700 cpu with 16gig of ram
Graphics card is a NVDia GT1060 3 gig
Oculus DK2.

Now I realize this is a "Budget VR System" but the drop in resolution of the DK2 is not that severe.

Using the "Russian Thunder" aircraft as a standard, the plane is lost from view very quickly.

When flying low , with wings level, the plane disappears totally at a distance of 200-300 ft (guess ta mated)

I have yet to land any of the planes "VFR" . Most approaches are pretty much blind.

The VR does work well when flying first person in the cockpit.

As a VR RC sim its pretty useless.

The Oculus Rift DK2 sell s on Ebay for less than $200 shipped.

I knew going into it I was doing it on the "Cheap" .
I hope to try out an Oculus CV1 soon.
Last edited by Tom in Cincy; Nov 06, 2017 at 08:47 PM.
Nov 06, 2017, 07:30 PM
CV1 is a leap above the DK2. But don't buy it just for RF. You're going to be disappointed. The lighting is just off in RF8 and on my system things just look washed out. Try DCS and you will be blown away. DCS also had the washed out problem for a build or two and then they fixed it.

BTW your system is great for VR. I have an I7 overclocked to 5Ghz and a GTX1080. Works fine. Depending on what you are running sometime the GPU will be a bottle neck other times the CPU.
Nov 06, 2017, 07:35 PM
Knife Edge Software
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdunlap
Thanks. There is a bug "fix" that I hope you would work on. In RF8 there is a setting in the aircraft editor that allows you to change the visual scale of the airplane up to 400%. The comment says this only affects visual performance. In RF8 changing this setting seemingly also scales the weight of the airplane. Try this, load an airplane and then increase it to 400%. You will see in the sim that it sinks on the landing gear like the weight is increased 400% and also the performance falls over a cliff because the engine power is kept at 100%. I think the bigger plane will make visualization better, but this scaling bug needs to be fixed. BTW I get 90 FPS because I built an overclocked super computer for VR. I think a gamma setting would help as well.
Thanks for the suggestions!

On the scaling question: unless you change the physics settings, the weight won't increase. That said, in my testing with the Sbach, I did see some misbehavior from the landing gear - excessive squat and jitter for sure. RealFlight is not really intended for aircraft that big.

Once in the air, the plane handles just like it did originally. It looks like it's going slower because it's 4 times as big. I don't see any performance difference with the giant airplane - my GTX970 is still able to hold 90fps.

I've filed a case to consider a gamma and other lighting settings.
Nov 06, 2017, 08:46 PM
Tom Para
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdunlap
CV1 is a leap above the DK2. But don't buy it just for RF. .
OK. well I.m really not a gamer so the only reason I got into this and purchased RF8 and the DK2 was for the R/C sim.

Having RF 7.5 I play it very little.
So I will not use RF8 much either.

The only sim for me is close in proximity r/c flying with the Nano Stealth and FPV.
Its still a rush after every landing..

Mostly wanted to post about the Oculus Dk2's short comings.

It does play on RF8 but the resolution is inadequate to actually fly with..

Just need a Pimax 8k now!!
Nov 17, 2017, 11:34 PM
Tom Para
Just an Update.
I picked up an Oculus CV1 and it is so much better. Makes RF8 very playable and I am pretty happy with the setup.
Thanks for the tip on DCS. It looks fantastic too..
Just ordered the warthog HOTAS and am hoping this project will get me through the winter blues.
p.s.
I have a pretty nice DVDO HDMI switcher/color corrector that would adjust any color short comings.
However theOculus will not even turn on when run through the processor. Oh well