Graupner Husky 1800 STOL - RCGroups Review - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales

Graupner Husky 1800 STOL - RCGroups Review

The Husky 1800 STOL Electric ARF is a true all around airframe from Graupner. With the optional float and ski kits, you will be all set no matter what the conditions. Let's take a look at what this versatile Short Take Off and Landing airframe has to offer!

Splash

The Graupner Husky 1800 STOL

Product:Graupner Husky 1800
Retail price:$329.99
Wing Span:71"
Weight:88oz
Length:47"
Height:14"
Fuselage:SOLIPOR Riged Foam
Completion Level:ARF
Batteries used:4s 2200Mah
Available from:Graupner

Graupner has really pulled out all the stops with their Husky 1800 STOL Electric ARF. The forward-looking design of this short take of and landing beast sets the mark with its versatility.

A quick build time coupled with an easy to transport finished product, the Husky 1800 is sure to be at the top of your list of fun fliers no matter what the conditions present.

Let's take a look with Mean Joe and see how she stacks up!

On the Bench

The Husky 1800 arrived well protected with no damage. The few parts needed, were separated out nicely and easy to unpack and ready for the build.

As the build moved forward, I noted that everything went together nicely and the fit and finish was very good on this model. The parts all fit together as intended and the build went pretty quick. The intermediate builder will have no issue at all getting this one ready for the field in just an hour or two. I say intermediate builder on this one for the simple fact that the instruction manual could use a little more detail and some better assembly pictures. It's not all that bad, I would just see a beginning builder scratching their heads a little on some of the steps. But with that being said the Husky goes together great.

The Husky comes with several sets of decals so that you can choose the color scheme you want. The fuselage comes bare, so you will be able to set it up to your liking. If you ever wanna change it up just peel them off carefully and put on the new ones. I would, however, suggest deviating from the manual just a bit for this step. Because of the size of each decal and the way that they need to wrap around the fuselage, I would put them on before you attach the wings and the carbon fiber support rods. This will make it much easier to install them without wrinkles. Just take your time and they will look great!

Let's head to the field

Now that we have the Graupner Husky all ready to go, let's get 'er in the air and see how she does! The large wing area and light weight of the Husky 1800 make for a fantastic STOL performance. With the installed power system it has plenty of power to handle any maneuvers you throw at it.

The roll rate on the Husky is a little slow because of the high-wing design, but it is a scale model, so it's to be expected. For future versions maybe some larger control surfaces would make it more aerobatic. As it is, it fly's great scale aerobatics with ease. It has "all day verticle" and flat spins like crazy with all that wing. Just in case you were wondering, flaps down, high alpha passes are a ball! Another thing that's a lot of fun is one wheel touch and goes down the whole runway. Plus it just plain looks cool!

The Husky 1800 handles the wind pretty good. It does tend to weathervane a bit, but this is something that should be expected with a design like this. It is lightweight, huge wing surface, and has a boxy fuselage just like the full-scale version so just get used to using some rudder and you will have no issues.

Overall the Graupner Husky 1800 is a total blast to fly. It has all kinds of power and its STOL capabilities are spot on.

The really cool part of this airframe is its versatility. The design allows you to go from wheels over to tundra tires, to floats, and to skis with only just a few pieces of hardware. The total time I had into going between each set up was around 15-20 minutes. I am sure that after a few times installing each option that time will go down, but that's not too bad at all. Again the instructions for installing the floats and skis are just drawings on the boxes, so just take your time and look closely at how it goes together and you should be good to go.

Video Review

RCGroups Review of the Graupner Husky 1800 (3 min 31 sec)

In Closing

The Graupner Husky 1800 Electric ARF offers tons of flying options and is easy to transport. With its wide flight envelope and scale look, it is sure to become one of your favorite short take-off and landing airframes. Whether it be grass, water, snow, or pavement, the Graupner Husky 1800 Electric ARF has you covered! Now get out there and fly! ~Mean Joe

RCGroups.com Review Policies

Our intent is to provide fair and unbiased reviews so that consumers can make informed decisions regarding new products. Some things you should know about our review process:

• RCGroups.com review items are provided by hobby manufacturers and suppliers, some of whom may be RCGroups advertisers.
  • Review products are sent directly to independent reviewers, chosen by RCGroups.com.
  • RCGroups.com reviewers are not compensated by either RCGroups.com or the reviewed item's supplier. However, they are allowed to keep the review items at no charge.
  • Published reviews reflect the opinion of the author.
  • When a conflict arises between a review sponsor and a reviewer (which is rare), RCGroups attempts to work out a satisfactory solution for all parties. In some cases, this may mean that a finished review will go unpublished, or be subjected to editing for technical accuracy. RCGroups reserves the final say as to whether an article is fit for publication.

It is always our intent to provide a place for honest and open commentary, and to put the needs of our visitors first. If you feel that something we've published is inaccurate, please let us know using the contact form.

Last edited by Matt Gunn; Nov 06, 2017 at 10:12 AM..
Nov 08, 2017, 07:07 PM
DFS#000178
Any experience with the reported adverse yaw problems?

I mean, being a scale Cub, essentially (since the Husky was basically a Super Cub), I'd expect it to have a pretty nasty adverse yaw bite if you don't get on the rudder, but there are some people in the official thread really dogging it's flight characteristics.
Nov 09, 2017, 01:22 PM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
I like this one....
Nov 09, 2017, 04:46 PM
i wonder if the floats from the timber will fit this plane
Nov 09, 2017, 06:13 PM
He who crashes things...
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve bjers
Id imagine they'd be too small for this bird. The Timber has a 10 smaller span so the Husky is considerably larger.
Im curious how it would stack up to a Timber in general, or a HK Grand Tundra. Has the grand tundra been released yet?
Nov 09, 2017, 06:21 PM
The Husky fuse is 4.5" wide. The floats are 33" long and about 18" wide, outside to outside.

I almost bought the Timber but chose this instead due to its size. The floats are extra.
Nov 09, 2017, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve bjers
No probably not. At least i should say not with out a lot of modification. And even then I bet not.
Latest blog entry: Building Season
Nov 09, 2017, 07:39 PM
I'm getting tired of waiting for Hobbyking to release their Avios Grand Tundra, I wonder if this is comparable...
Nov 09, 2017, 08:02 PM
crash pilot extraordinaire
How am I supposed to quit buying foamies when they keep coming out with planes like this???
Nov 09, 2017, 08:31 PM
The instructions are mostly black and white diagrams and can be a bit confusing. However, it was pretty self explanatory on how to assemble it. Nice hardware. Everything aligned and screwed in tight.
The hatches can be a bit hard to open and close but I didn't think that was a bad thing.
The inside is roomy for electronics.
Mine balanced perfectly with a 4s 3000 mAh battery. Motor is snappy and the Husky will leap off the ground.
Control surfaces and flaps have tons of throw.
I bought the floats but haven't mounted them yet.

As far as flying goes. I have four flights and honestly don't know how I still have the airplane in one piece. No clue yet to the issue but I don't think the airplane in general is too blame and likely I have something amiss somewhere. If you want to know specifics of my issues, I have a detailed summary in the other Husky 1800S thread a few pages back in the Electric Plane Talk forum. Suggestions are welcome.
Nov 09, 2017, 09:16 PM
Razer, Do happen to know the diameter of the tundra tires on the Husky?
Nov 09, 2017, 09:42 PM
They are 4.25"

My airstrip is not great, no retracts allowed, and the Husky ran around like a champ. Bumps, grass clumps, etc. no problems. They are foam but I was impressed by them. 3rd party wheels may work but the axle is not super long and wide rims may not work.
Nov 09, 2017, 09:57 PM
Flipping heck, now I have to invest in yet another great airplane! Looking forward to watching other's input and the airframe performance.