BLL model SG 38- with gondola. - RC Groups
Oct 29, 2017, 09:10 AM
Build Log

BLL model SG 38- with gondola.

Just arrived fresh from BLL CZ.

Having been building the 1/4 krick kit for the past 2 years and deciding that it was a complete pain in the rear and vouched never to be so stupid again I somehow found myself ordering a kit from Petr at BLL...... Clearly a glutton for punishment... Not so.... At least not yet.

The kit arrived and fully inspected, a wealth of laser cut parts. Strip wood and sheet but not nearly as overwhelming as the Krick. Wing ribs look fantastic and imitate the full sized, plans that are clean and wait for it........ A left and right wing plan! No more glow fuel or oil soaked plans.

The hardware supplied is spot on, with large hinge du-bro style hinges, wire, clevis and even the pulleys..... I will post pictures if you want?

Plans are in the native tounge Czech I think? But all sizes are in millimetres and parts numberd..... Easy. A small sheet for translations are included for balsa ply and the like...... NO INSTRUCTIONS. Although pictures are supplied and if you are familiar with reading plans, building, millimetres and numbers you should be alright.

Let battle comence.
Last edited by James Brand; Oct 29, 2017 at 09:39 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 29, 2017, 05:10 PM
So far it's cruisey..... Just a light rub of the laser parts and they are clean. Mostly using thin and medium CA with white gorilla glue for structural parts and bits that will be seen.
Oct 30, 2017, 06:10 PM
The fairing is starting to take shape. Wife wasn't impressed about the kettle being in the workshop... But I needed the steam and she wouldn't let me build in the kitchen :-)
Oct 30, 2017, 06:15 PM
subscribed, looking forward to following this, thanks
Oct 31, 2017, 01:04 AM
Gasbags & Gussets

thank you

same feeling, thank you for sharing the build with us,

john s.
Oct 31, 2017, 05:27 PM
Worked on the king post a bit... So far it has been straight forward. You just have to remember to think......" Where am I going to mount the battery, where is the reciever going to go? What would be the tidiest options.?Should I sheet that now or wait Untill I have pilot drilled that.... ". Its good. It gets the grey matter working.
Nov 02, 2017, 07:14 AM

Sg-38

Hi James,
I'm watching your photo.
Fast work. Here's my SG.
http://adler.rajce.idnes.cz/SG-38_BLL_model/
Nov 02, 2017, 07:57 AM
Thanks Petr, I will upload more photos soon, I smashed my mobile phone screen at work, it fell out of my pocket at height. ( I work in the building trade) I use it for everything so I should be back updating soon!
Nov 08, 2017, 12:29 PM
ok ... my camera (phone) is in the repair shop I have pulled out my micro SD card and got a few pics to share...

the gondola is really coming on, there is lots of wasted space under the floor though, with careful planning this space could be used to hide radio gear.

one gripe at the moment is that the seat back rest was cut out of 3?4?mm ply with the grain running in the least appropriate way to get it to bend. I used its template and made the backrest from 2 layers of 0.8mm birch ply, this was my ply and not supplied in the kit.
Nov 08, 2017, 02:33 PM
so I feel as I get in to the swing of this kit it is more stand off scale, the are small minor errors in the plan shape but not the plan itself. I have tweaked the rudder a bit to make it look a little more scale. I nearly had a moan about the rudder plan as it was lacking in detail, then I found another sheet of plans detailing the rudder and horizontal stab...my bad for not looking properly. also please excuse my micro set square (Lego).
Nov 09, 2017, 06:23 AM
Here we have some progress..... and I have controversially put the shear webs in with span-wise grain.... after much thaught and research I went for it!!!. It doesn’t actually take that long to build if you pull your finger out but I still have a mountain to climb...

I can say that without a table saw I would have been up the creek as most of the strip wood I have has to make from planks. I will get more detaild pics of the plans and deviations from the full-size aircraft. A little artistic licence is ok I suppose.... what I recon is that if you could cross breed the Krick kit and this one you would have an easy to build museum quality model.. which to be honest is what most of us are after...
Nov 11, 2017, 10:30 PM
I had a chuckle at your controversial comment, I have always been a vertical guy but I've conceded that when the web's are as beautifully fitted as yours are they have to be at least as good, one day I'll go outside my comfort zone and build a wing with horizontal shear web's myself, your doing a great job on this btw keep up the good work
Nov 14, 2017, 02:59 PM
Foamy Season is here! MX2#1
wow. I have recently become obsessed with the sg38, even have plans printed, more park scale but maybe some day bigger. My plan doesnt show the trussed ribs,, wow.
Nov 16, 2017, 09:48 AM
Thanks guys! Still plodding on,... it is starting to look like an aircraft now. In stead of sheeting the aileron tip in1.5mm I have used block as this hits the ground so subject to wear and tear. I think the trailing edge looks a little bit chunky? I might speak to Petr and see if this can be made as a laser cut part so it can be thin, stong, light and incorporate some kind of gusset detail? The sheeting at the wing root is too big, I might have to do something about it, how structural is it?
Nov 17, 2017, 04:53 PM
Foamy Season is here! MX2#1
WOW. well done.