Leisure Lanzo Bomber Build - RC Groups
Oct 28, 2017, 03:11 PM
Build Log

Leisure Lanzo Bomber Build

Good Day to You All again.

I got a nudge from Geoff Potter to start a Bomber Build, and that was all I needed to get going again. I also saw that Monty was building a Playboy 80. This helped light a small motivational fire in my head to get this going again. I found a partial kit on eBay of a Leisure Lanzo Bomber last March. I started it almost immediately after I finished the Sailplane, but like many things in my life it got set to the side lines. The kit I received was a partial with what seemed like a partial short kit . It has 2 sets of ribs for the elevator one die cut and one laser cut. The wing ribs are laser cut too, but seem to match the plan pretty good. Not sure if Leisure was Laser cutting back then or not. It also came with an update to the wing pylon to make it legal. This should be a very pleasant and relaxed flyer. It should also be a little faster building because it was designed to be RC. I scratched my head more than a few times with the sailplane.

Regards

Low and Slow1
to remove ads between posts
Oct 28, 2017, 05:08 PM
Good stuff , L&S ,how much wingspan ? They are square , just turned so they become a diamond under the the wing mount pylon . I sent you a pm .
Oct 28, 2017, 05:37 PM
Thermals, Tom
Caution: the Pylon is not built per the original plan
Oct 28, 2017, 05:55 PM
The specs on the wingspan says 70.5 inches, In the rest of the world I think it's about 1.8 meters. I have also read that the model seems to need nose weight. I might extend the nose one bay more to help with this.

Thanks for the Caution on the pylon Ryan, that is a good looking model in the picture. The folding prop is a neat idea too. Was the model covered in tissue.

L&S
Oct 28, 2017, 06:54 PM
Well here are some pic from last night , and now , after Toms input . This is the two fuses I did last nite ,and the tailplane /fin/rudder repaired for covering . I will stop on my fuse now (with pylon) and concentrate on his model as he needs it . I will use the old pylon that came off the model from when I built it new in 2012 I think . Model 92 , will now be model 106on completion. As Tom says , pylons can be an issue . This is what my friend Browny has arrived at for his laser cut kits , I cut and joined this one this morning to show how we do it here in Aus , safe , secure and almost indestructible , not to say that the fuselage under it is though . But that's good as they keep me going on rebuilds . So today will be , clean and fit pylon and the tail feather mounts and place servos to suit weight and CG as motor is an ASP 65 four banger , hoping for about 4lb12oz ready to fly . In regard to your fuse and electric motor . I found if I picked the right material weight wise for the backend I actually had to lose some weight on the nose on my full size elect powered Lanzo , plus I think they look terrible with a nose extension . A lot of elect guys out here do add extensions but not for me .
Oct 28, 2017, 07:17 PM
You built 2 Fuselages in 1 night. You won't have any trouble finishing the rebuild by the deadline. Your work looks great . I'll get some progress posted tomorrow. I love the pictures and input. keep em coming.
Oct 28, 2017, 09:38 PM
Thermals, Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low and Slow1
Thanks for the Caution on the pylon Tom, that is a good looking model in the picture. The folding prop is a neat idea too. Was the model covered in tissue.
No, http://icarexpolyester.com/
Oct 29, 2017, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the link Tom, very cool stuff . Will it heat shrink or will it shrink with a light coat of poly or dope.
I have a little progress to show on the fuselage. My sticks were not long enough so I staggered scarf joints. I also added about a bay of length to the nose. . Even though I have been advised this may be a unwise choice. However I can always cut a board shorter not longer if need be. If things go together with a light tail I will cut it back to spec. My wife has also said that it needs to have some lights, on an old timer . . I always try to be accommodating to her wishes. She does support my R/C builds. It has begun to get cooler here and I should be able to get more done .

L&S
Oct 29, 2017, 02:30 PM
Here are some pictures. I have found that using tight bond and Q-tips really hasnt slowed building time. I usually use CA medium, but it is a brittle joint. If I put 20 minutes a day on the model I can get a lot done in a few days. Even on a work day . Im off tomorrow and should get even more done. Sometimes an off day is busier than a work day.
Oct 29, 2017, 06:14 PM
Good stuff L&S , Im a scarf joint man too and pink ZAP with tite bond over ALL joints after . I buy balsa logs and can cut whatever I want , sheet or stick .Your really rocking along now , it's great to watch a model come together , I feel sorry for the ARF guys who never get this kind of enjoyment ,but I suppose they don't need it ,that's why they go with ARF . I didn't do as much as I would like yesterday (Vallentino in the rain at Sepang was to good to miss sorry, motorcycle GP ) but the fuse is on wheels and waiting for him to send me servos . He said , oh we will just fit them on the feild on the day , I said ,you had better come get it if you want it finished then , cause. I don't work that way . So their in the mail this morning . I will start on the wing he sent me which was one piece when I built the model but now in three from the crash so will rebuild and repair them that way , easier to transport and I find they don't get as much hanger rash . The plug in is easy to do on a Bomber .
I see you build one on top of the other and I envy people who can do that . I have to build one then pick it up from between the pins and take away then set up the next one . Have tried a few times over the last 70 years and was NEVER EVER a successful outcome for me , so a few pics of that would be nice .
Oct 29, 2017, 06:58 PM
It looks like your chugging right along on the Rebuild. I cant imagine installing servos the day OF . I must be a slow servo installer too because that always takes me time and some fine tuning. Your going to make the wing a 3 piece now, if so do show your work. I have contemplated the Keil Kraft Falcon but its wing joint looks very complex.
As far as building on top of one assembly to make a mirror of another , I'll try and find some pictures. The Sailplane I had to do the same and the 2 were pretty close. I was dealing with 3/16 square and it is pretty flexible. It will also stay pinned with lots of sewing pins and T pins.

L&S
Oct 29, 2017, 07:14 PM
Hello guys,

I built an epowered Bomber some while ago from a Belaire short kit. I came across the same issues with the CG and pylon construction. I moved the pylon back on the fuselage to effectively increase the nose length and strengthened up the pylon fuselage interface. I also made the wing three piece to ease transport.

I can post some photos covering this if it helps.

Richard.
Oct 29, 2017, 08:33 PM
Thanks Richard.
Any and all Pictures are always welcome. The 1.8 meter wing is not really big but it would be nice too see how others have done it. I had to move the pylon on my Sailplane back to even get close to the CG. Compared to the few pictures on the internet. I had to use big heavy wheels to but she is an awesome flyer. Flies SLOW. I'm glad the bomber has a bigger fin and rudder, the sailplane is a slow turner.

L&S