Biplane - RC Groups
Oct 28, 2017, 01:29 PM
Discussion

Biplane

Does anyone know what kit this is or if it is a kit? One reply stated these are a kit model. I would like to have one if they are available.

Ugly Stick Biplano- Flying Circus (3 min 4 sec)

Ugly Stick Biplano - Flying Circus (2 min 37 sec)
Last edited by burlesontom; Oct 28, 2017 at 03:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 28, 2017, 01:54 PM
Well I found the darn things. Made in Brazil. I sent them an email. I will see if their English is better than my Spanish. Or is it Portugese?

https://flyingcircus.com.br/ugly-stick-biplano-120

If I did it right the kit cost is $150.00 US dollars. Thats doable.
Oct 29, 2017, 11:52 PM
40 size das Bipe kit is sold in the US.

http://www.lazer-works.com/misc.html
Oct 30, 2017, 02:12 PM
I got an email from them and they can't ship to the US. I could just draw up my own. I have Sweet Stik and Ugly Stik plans on hand. The plane is pretty basic.
Nov 02, 2017, 12:40 PM
I am sure there are plans on the web somewhere. It was a Midwest kit.
Nov 02, 2017, 12:57 PM
No. The Midwest kit has different cabanes and no turtle deck and a shorter wingspan. I looked. If I want it bad enough I will just draw up my own plans. I have the Sweet Stik and Ugly Stik plans so the wing is easy. The fuse needs to be stretched to 90% of the wing span to look proper. At least that what it says in my Harry Higley book on biplanes.

Plans
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Das-Bipe-St...sAAOSw0UdXtjMv

Kit
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-MID...sAAOSw-eVZ-pSC
Nov 02, 2017, 01:03 PM
the plane I was trying to buy has a 63" top wing and a 57" bottom wing. Using a Sweet stick wing at 54" for the top should make a good 90 sized plane. Evn the wing from a Das Little Stik at 46" would be a good 46-60 size plane. And I have a Little Stik kit in the attic right now. So if I get inspired enough I can have a plan in just a day for my own version.
Nov 02, 2017, 02:25 PM
I don't see a turtle deck. I believe Midwest used metal cabanes, I can see someone modifying that. Come to think I don't know if the Midwest was 120 size. They also had a large Low Stick that was either 90 or 120 sized.
Last edited by Sport_Pilot; Nov 02, 2017 at 11:47 PM.
Nov 02, 2017, 04:49 PM
Hi Sport. did you look at the links I posted? The midwest planes are flat on the top. The planes in the videos have a turtle deck behind the pilot and a rounded top over the fuel tank area. Nothing that couldn't be added but the kit I linked to has a 42" wingspan. Way smaller than I care for. I have a picture of someones Low Stik on my picture shuffle on my desk top. Here is a low wing model I made from tracing around a Thunder Tiger "Stik" I had back in the mid 90s. If I didn't tell you you would have never guessed this was a Stik plane redrawn. The wing and fuse were used from the Tiger Stik. The wing had an additional bay added and the tail was redrawn. Then a top deck was added. Easy to do. The "N" number means it was finished July 6th 1997.
Last edited by burlesontom; Nov 03, 2017 at 12:39 PM.
Nov 02, 2017, 04:54 PM
The Das Bipe Stik has wire cabanes. The plane in the video has a central post set up with two screws to secure the wing. From what I could tell by looking at build photos the interplane struts plug into slots in the wings. Cool idea.
Nov 02, 2017, 11:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by burlesontom
Hi Sport. did you look at the links I posted? The midwest planes are flat on the top. The planes in the videos have a turtle deck behind the pilot and a rounded top over the fuel tank area. Nothing that couldn't be added but the kit I linked to has a 42" wingspan. Way smaller than I can for. I have a picture of someones Low Stik on my picture shuffle on my desk top. here is a low wing I made from tracing around a Thunder Tiger "Stik" I had back in the mid 90s. If I didn't tell you you would have never guessed this was a Stik plane redrawn. The wing and fuse were used. The wing had an additional bay added and the tail was redrawn. Then a top deck was added. Easy to do. The "N" number means it was finished July 6th 1997.
As I said Midwest had some larger sticks as well. Not sure of the bi stick but I know they had a large low stick. I don't call that a turtle deck. Just a thicker balsa sheet, maybe 1/2 inch near the cockpit sanded to a more round shape. Why bother with drawing plans? You can copy plans to any size you want and add a turtle deck.
Nov 02, 2017, 11:57 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
As I said Midwest had some larger sticks as well. Not sure of the bi stick but I know they had a large low stick. I don't call that a turtle deck. Just a thicker balsa sheet, maybe 1/2 inch near the cockpit sanded to a more round shape. Why bother with drawing plans? You can copy plans to any size you want and add a turtle deck.
Midwest kitted an 89" wing span low wing called Giant Sweet and Low stick.
Nov 03, 2017, 12:00 AM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by burlesontom
the plane I was trying to buy has a 63" top wing and a 57" bottom wing. Using a Sweet stick wing at 54" for the top should make a good 90 sized plane. Evn the wing from a Das Little Stik at 46" would be a good 46-60 size plane. And I have a Little Stik kit in the attic right now. So if I get inspired enough I can have a plan in just a day for my own version.
Pretty simple to take a normal size Das Ugly Stick designed by Phil Kraft. Make two sets of ribs. Take off one rib on the bottom wing and add that to the top wing and you have a bipe that you like. Flip the fuselage upside down to mount the bottom wing and make what ever cabanes your heart desire.

Modelers have been bashing the stick design for the last 50 years.
Nov 03, 2017, 12:42 PM
The model posted in post #9 is a redrawn Stik model using the wing a fuse from a Thunder Tiger Tiger Stik.. I know all about redrawing and changing up planes.