Kraft Spectrum - RC Groups
Oct 28, 2017, 09:48 AM
PhoenixFlyer
Discussion

Kraft Spectrum

This is on e bay right now, a complete system. Full House, as we used to say. $109.95, Buy It Now.

V
to remove ads between posts
Oct 29, 2017, 08:45 AM
Bo Edström, Sweden
Hi,
Is that one of the later(latest) model of radios Kraft made?
Not sure when they closed the doors and what their last radio model was.
/Bo
Oct 29, 2017, 08:33 PM
G'day Guys. For something to do when I had a bit of time on my hands, I did a Kraft conversion myself. Very simply, took a Kraft Sport series radio, and completely gutted it.
Had a Spektrum DXE as kind of a spare lying around. So gutted that as well. Found that the DXE innards would fit in the Kraft Sports series, with only a couple of mods. First the main PC board needed a tiny 1-2mm ground off each side, then it fitted inside the case. The edges of the board had no circuitry so no issue.
Control sticks were a bit harder. Easy way was to take the Kraft case and a control gimbal to an engineering shop. Had then CNC cut the gimbal holes to the exact size and position.
Then it was simply a matter of making a cardboard template with all the trim locations, mounting holes, and so on. I also made use of the original Kraft meter for that authentic look. Needed to make a spacer to fit.
Once all the engineering deeds were done, the rest took only a few evenings work. Did take a lot of photos for reference as to what went where.
Bottom line is that it works.
I'm no electronic whizz, but with care and thought did a very simple 2.4gHz conversion for a small outlay.

Peter R
Land of Oz
Oct 29, 2017, 10:15 PM
AKA 8178 - MIke Dailey
For those of us that were around back then it was very sad to see Kraft slipping away and its final demise. Really made me sick when Kraft started making their systems look like Futaba that was pounding them into the ground. But now it seems it is Futaba’s turn. Don’t think there is a single member in our RC club still using Futaba.

Mike
Oct 29, 2017, 10:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguemale2
G'day Guys. For something to do when I had a bit of time on my hands, I did a Kraft conversion myself. Very simply, took a Kraft Sport series radio, and completely gutted it.
Had a Spektrum DXE as kind of a spare lying around. So gutted that as well. Found that the DXE innards would fit in the Kraft Sports series, with only a couple of mods. First the main PC board needed a tiny 1-2mm ground off each side, then it fitted inside the case. The edges of the board had no circuitry so no issue.
Control sticks were a bit harder. Easy way was to take the Kraft case and a control gimbal to an engineering shop. Had then CNC cut the gimbal holes to the exact size and position.
Then it was simply a matter of making a cardboard template with all the trim locations, mounting holes, and so on. I also made use of the original Kraft meter for that authentic look. Needed to make a spacer to fit.
Once all the engineering deeds were done, the rest took only a few evenings work. Did take a lot of photos for reference as to what went where.
Bottom line is that it works.
I'm no electronic whizz, but with care and thought did a very simple 2.4gHz conversion for a small outlay.

Peter R
Land of Oz

Outstanding.
Oct 30, 2017, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the commendation! I feel very humbled.
Found some pictures of the final completed Tx. Note how the original Kraft Tx meter "glows". Just happens that the DXE on light is in the same place behind the Kraft meter.
Also the DXE board is 1mm off being perfectly symmetrical-see the two vertical slots for the Kraft mechanical trim levers, while the DXE digital trim slots don't quite sit symmetrically against the Kraft trims. (Yes the old fashioned way of doing things back in Kraft's day produced high quality items. Stood the test of time as still in good nick).
If anyone wants more details, PM me. I did up an article for the Aussie mag I wrote for-went OOB earlier this year. So it never got published.
Oct 30, 2017, 07:00 PM
Oh, since the Kraft TX meter photo was taken, got my electronics whizz mate to show me how to get the original Kraft meter to work as it was originally intended!
Nov 01, 2017, 04:55 PM
I just want to go fly!
Amazing to see the progression! Wow
Nov 01, 2017, 05:25 PM
Peter,

while I commend you for your successful efforts in getting a modern Spektrum radio into a vintage Kraft case, I would like to point out that this is not quite a "2.4 GHz vintage Tx conversion". Typically a conversion requires the use of at least some electronic and/or mechanical component of the vintage radio. Often the original encoder is retained along with the rest of the Tx while the original RF deck (typically FM analog) is switched to 2.4 GHz digital. Likewise, the battery pack is often switched from a NiCd/NiMH pack to a Lithium based 2s/3s pack if for no other reason that the original battery is often dead.

In my view, and from what I've seen others do, a conversion effort involves at least retaining the Tx case and original gimbals as these latter are the reason most want to undertake the conversion in the first place - the quality of the gimbals (Kraft/ProLine) was better than many of today's modern radios. This means that all electronics are switched out, encoder & deck, rendering a true hybrid radio with modern technology features such as mixing, programming, model memory, etc as well as broadcast on the 2.4 GHz spectrum yet with a classic Tx case with quality gimbal(s).

That said, there is plenty cool to having a complete Spektrum radio housed in a vintage Kraft case. Nicely done!

David
Nov 01, 2017, 06:28 PM
G'day David,
You're comments re my conversion are quite correct. A good Aussie mate of mine who a few here may of heard, Eric Beilby-he at one stage owned Kraft Australia and also is still a top electronic technician at 90, said exactly the same thing.
You have to know I'm not really an electronics person, but not too bad with my hands. So as an interesting exercise, I took on this, ah lets call it a change over then, to see if it was possible for a low tech guy to do.
Well it did, and I'm over the moon! (as an aside I have real problems remembering what red and black wires polarity are ). The other thing that didn't stand out in the photos, was this particular Kraft Tx had a LOT of corrosion through it, especially the dreaded green wire. That to me made all the electronics suspect. Further one of the control sticks was quite bent. At least I preserved a good Kraft case and meter.
Lastly, Eric is doing a Kraft Siggy conversion for me right now exactly along the lines you mentioned. There is zero chance I can do that sort of work.
So all I wanted to do is throw up another option, by thinking a bit out of the square.
And thanks for the pat on the back for the job I did. It was VERY scary when I turned the radio on for the first time,. Was expecting smoke and fire and disaster. Was pleasantly surprised it all worked out so well.
When I get my Siggy, will post piccies.
Nov 01, 2017, 07:37 PM
Balsadustus Producerus
Soooo...how should we refer to this radio? Spectrum or Spektrum? Or, Specktrum?

Roguemale2,

That's called a smoke test in the avionics industry. Really exciting after installing a new setup for communication, navigation, traffic avoidance systems and so on, remembering it was near $80,000 out the door for the customer
Nov 02, 2017, 06:15 AM
Kraftrum? LOL
I was prepared to suck up the magic smoke if it appeared, and jam it straight back in. If you don't do this quick enough, all is lost!!!
Nov 02, 2017, 04:19 PM
PhoenixFlyer
Do any of you remember Hedy Lamarr ? She was an actress, but look at what else she did with Spectrum, and this was in WW II.
V
================================================== ================================================== ====

Although better known for her Silver Screen exploits, Austrian actress Hedy Lamarr (born Hedwig Eva Maria Kiesler) also became a pioneer in the field of wireless communications following her emigration to the United States. The international beauty icon, along with co-inventor George Anthiel, developed a "Secret Communications System" to help combat the Nazis in World War II. By manipulating radio frequencies at irregular intervals between transmission and reception, the invention formed an unbreakable code to prevent classified messages from being intercepted by enemy personnel.

Lamarr and Anthiel received a patent in 1941, but the enormous significance of their invention was not realized until decades later. It was first implemented on naval ships during the Cuban Missile Crisis and subsequently emerged in numerous military applications. But most importantly, the "spread spectrum" technology that Lamarr helped to invent would galvanize the digital communications boom, forming the technical backbone that makes cellular phones, fax machines and other wireless operations possible.