DIY Tri with Ardupilot - does not fly well - RC Groups
Oct 28, 2017, 09:45 AM
mr1
mr1
Discussion

DIY Tri with Ardupilot - does not fly well

Hi all,
i changed the flight controller at my tricopter from MultiWii to Ardupilot (Pixracer).

Since then it does not fly well anymore. With full throttle, the tail always stays below the rest and the copter moves backwards. So I trimmed the copter nose-heavy by changing the battery position but it did not make any difference. With MultiWii I did not have that problem.

Another thing is that it yaws left and right also in level flight. And when I yaw left or right and center all my sticks, it oscillates a little bit instead of staying in position. So I deactivated internal compasses and now I use only the external mounted next to the GPS receiver. But it did not change that behaviour.

I haven't tried Autotune so far but I think at least the first problem should be solved before doing that. Any suggestions how to fix that?

Components:
-Self made tri with glass fiber center plates and 10x10mm aluminiuim arms
-orig. Pixracer, mounted on M3 rubber damper
-Neo-7m GPS with compass
-HP2217-930kV
-12x4,5" carbon props
-20A BlueSeries (Alexmos flashed)
to remove ads between posts
Oct 29, 2017, 12:13 AM
OCD
Sounds like yaw rate P is too high. Once you have the yaw solved and altitude hold working. I’d run auto tune. Good luck.
Oct 30, 2017, 06:03 AM
mr1
mr1
Okay and the full throttle problem? It seems that ardupilot does not correct the lower thrust of the tail motor because of it's tilt angle for torque compensation. Calibrating ESCs did not help. With MultiWii I didn't have that problem.
Oct 30, 2017, 07:06 AM
OCD
Never had that problem. Id go to ardupilot.org and go to the community discussion and ask. They will want to see the logs off the SD card. You have to make sure it is logging the correct parameters. Not sure which are the best to log.

Does it do this in stabilize and loiter?
Oct 30, 2017, 07:13 AM
mr1
mr1
In loiter maximum vertical speed is limited by code so it does that only in stabilize and acro. I'll try to find the parameter for vertical speed and also check logs for ardupilot forum.
Oct 30, 2017, 07:46 AM
i use mini apm on my tricopter, fly really well in stabilized and loiter..
How about your motor configuration? All CCW or 2 CCW + 1 CW?
Oct 30, 2017, 09:55 AM
mr1
mr1
Front motors spin in opposite direction so that I don't loose so much thrust at tail motor.
So 2 CCW and 1 CW