Any experience with Clear Gorilla Glue? - Page 5 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 07, 2017, 03:37 PM
Windy City Flyer
a few people have mentioned foam-tac and getting hard in the bottle over time. I tried the smaller tube (1 ounce size) and squeeze out the air before i seal it. Used it to the end of the tube. Yes it is expensive, but there is no waste. Food for thought....

Brian
to remove ads between posts
Dec 07, 2017, 03:42 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
QuickGrip is my favorite mostly because I can buy it down the street. It's nearly the same as FoamTac, from the same company. QG is marketed to craft and FT is marketed to us. The only difference I'm aware of is FT says it contains UV inhibitors. Okay for that I guess, but I don't figure a lot of sunlight is going to make it into the joints. Might make a difference on glue smear hinges.

Brian, I like the mini tubes too. Fresh glue always makes me feel better, and the bigger tubes get awfully grungy after some time. You can get both QuickGrip and FoamTac in mini tubes, but not down the street.
Dec 07, 2017, 04:50 PM
And Repairs
hard line, Great to hear that you're using Quick Grip on foam. For some reason I was thinking that it was an EPP only type glue.
I'll test out my specific type of foam just in case -- but generally speaking you're saying it's safe for EPO / Elapor type foam?

I'm definitely looking for an alternative to Beacon Foam Tac -- if Clear Gorilla Glue isn't it, then maybe Quick Grip is. But it seems like I used it on a Radian repair once and it made the foam a little mushy -- sure hope I'm confused.

Regarding the White (foaming) Gorilla Glue -- yes it does work really well for foam repairs. It's just not super clean and not the easiest to work with. Passing on something I learned from someone else... What works best for me is to 1) mix some White GG with a little water in a cup and let it foam as much as it wants to, 2) pour off any excess water, 3) stir again trying to get as many of the air bubbles as possible -- then apply. Will still foam some more within the joint, but not as much compared to not mixing it with water first.

Anybody is welcome to chime in with foam safe glue suggestions.
Dec 07, 2017, 05:06 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
I can't say if QG is safe for all foams -- but I've never had a problem. If in fact you've had a problem with FoamTac, I don't think QG will be the fix. They're very similar.

I haven't tried your water premix with GG, but others have reported that watered CG is noticeably weaker than "proper" application. Dunno for sure.

Here's a trick. To glue my two flying wing halves together I first tape them together on one side. Then open them like a book to apply glue and a spritz of water and close it back up. But here's the trick: On the non-hinging side apply tape to both pieces so that when the glue expands and comes out the crack, it will come out between these two tape lengths and stay off your foam. Very easy cleanup of the excess. I use common masking tape for both the hinge, and the mess protection.
Dec 07, 2017, 05:08 PM
And Repairs
Started the above post then had to come back to it later, so just saw the info about the Foam Tac Minis. Great info! Just ordered on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Foam-Field-Pa...=foam+tac+glue