It is awesome!
Latest blog entry: Carbon Fiber Bird
to remove ads between posts
Nov 03, 2017, 09:55 PM
average user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATIN
It's a conspiracy to distract you.
what isnt these days I heard transgingers are revolting in the streets, and mars is on a collision course with the planet. Trump and Hillary are the same person.

I need to find some.of that stuff i wonder if its goos in sunlight
Nov 03, 2017, 10:11 PM
And Repairs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopemaster
Man, you guys got me all confused.
Good thing this thread has pretty much run it’s course.

But to help clear some confusion, I believe Timmig is saying that it’s the white (foaming) GG that you want for sheeting balsa. He went back and corrected his sheeting post on page 2 with the update from Clear to White.

—“White” label (which unfortunately is still clear while in the bottle): foams and is sandable.
—“Clear” label: No foam. Dries clear. Stays flexible. It’s a new product.

Canopy glue, it’s great stuff too, but might not be the ideal product for boding two pieces of broken foam together.

Somebody really should start a new thread for all things Adhesives related.
Nov 05, 2017, 06:02 PM
It's time for me to fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimZinVT
Yes, I'll have to see if I can find some locally and try it on my Ahi's torn rudder and aileron hinges.
The Clear GG worked very well for fixing my hinges. The tear was clean, no foam missing. I put a minimal amount of glue into the tear, pressed it closed, wiped off the excess glue that squeezed out, then taped it tight overnight. Seems like a good solid fix, but the hinge still flexes fine. Thanks Ty, for bringing this glue to our attention
Nov 05, 2017, 07:38 PM
And Repairs
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimZinVT
The Clear GG worked very well for fixing my hinges. The tear was clean, no foam missing. I put a minimal amount of glue into the tear, pressed it closed, wiped off the excess glue that squeezed out, then taped it tight overnight. Seems like a good solid fix, but the hinge still flexes fine. Thanks Ty, for bringing this glue to our attention
That’s great to hear. Thanks for the follow up.

Anybody is welcome to post info or results.

Didn’t mean to shut things down - For some reason I had a bad feeling the thread was going to head down the path of that old “error please delete” thread. : )
Last edited by TyFlies; Nov 05, 2017 at 08:30 PM.
Nov 14, 2017, 11:15 AM
Objects in mirror are losing
I used the clear GG for a fillet on my latest JW.
It's a tinted goop fuse and Monokote wing.
I've flown it a few times into the 170's and landed in the dirt at Weldon. It does pick up some dirt but it will wipe right off.
So far I'm happy.
Nov 14, 2017, 12:04 PM
And Repairs
Thanks for the report. That does look like a smooth, clear fillet. Really like the look of your high visibility accent color.

Gorilla really seems to be stepping up their game with all their new products. Noticed they've got a new "Clear Grip" adhesive in a tube. Wonder how it compares to Goop or Welder.

It really would be great if someone started an adhesive thread. I don't think I'm up for it -- but I would be a fan.

For what it's worth, Loctite has recently come out with some new adhesive products too. I really trust the quality of 3M, Loctite, and Gorilla -- from there it's just a matter of deciding on the right product to match a project.

Edit: Link to Gorilla "Clear Grip" ...
https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-80400...70_&dpSrc=srch
Last edited by TyFlies; Nov 14, 2017 at 02:45 PM.
Nov 14, 2017, 02:22 PM
average user
i picked up a can of gorillas spray adhesive. It sprays pretty thick and even, seems to have the same grip as 3m90 without the stringy gooeyness.

dissolves eps

I think it was less than $11 at lowes

two thumbs up
Last edited by mr.zagi5c; Nov 14, 2017 at 02:42 PM.
Nov 14, 2017, 02:40 PM
And Repairs
Good to know. Was wondering about their new spray.
Nov 14, 2017, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopemaster
Man, you guys got me all confused.

I realize that I'm straying off topic but this Formula 560 canopy glue is flexible and dries clear.
I haven't found this any better than other PVA's such as Aleene's tacky glue or even elmers but I'm willing to give it another go.
I read in another thread that this is the same as or similar to Roman Seam Repair. Found in the wallpaper dept at Lowe's for a couple bucks/3oz tube.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Roman-3-oz-...hesive/3033199
Dec 07, 2017, 01:25 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!

Warning

Just a word of caution on the new Gorilla Clear Glue. I used it on a repair and thought it didn't hold well. Figured it was probably my application.

Just built a Bixler with it and now I find I can crack the fuselage back into the two halves with little more than light finger pressure. This after several days, so cure time isn't the issue. For those of you who like it, congrats. But mine is going into the wife's craft supplies. There are too many good glues on my workbench to worry about messin' with this stuff. YMMV
Dec 07, 2017, 02:03 PM
And Repairs
Thanks for the info. I used it a couple days ago on a hinge repair. will keep an eye on it.
Dec 07, 2017, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard line
Just a word of caution on the new Gorilla Clear Glue. I used it on a repair and thought it didn't hold well. Figured it was probably my application.

Just built a Bixler with it and now I find I can crack the fuselage back into the two halves with little more than light finger pressure. This after several days, so cure time isn't the issue. For those of you who like it, congrats. But mine is going into the wife's craft supplies. There are too many good glues on my workbench to worry about messin' with this stuff. YMMV
Is this a foamy or ???
What kind of joint was it?
My fillets are holding up great.

I've also just used it on servo covers and was surprised it only took a few hours to cure.
Dec 07, 2017, 02:42 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Yeah, a Bixler is a foamy. The fuselage comes in right/left halves and there are probably 3-4 linear feet of flush joint about 1/2" wide. I coated that joint with Clear and clamped it with rubber bands. Assumed I had a strong permanent joint. Wrong.

Normally I'd use a Beacon glue but this Clear seemed so tidy and gave plenty of working time. The other stuff is messy and begins drying before you can get it all applied when you're dealing with a joint this long.

I suspect the answer will be it works better on some foams than others. But FoamTac, QuickGrip and Gorilla White PU have always worked well for me on all my foams.
Last edited by hard line; Dec 07, 2017 at 02:47 PM.
Dec 07, 2017, 03:32 PM
Ah cool...thanks for the details! I guess I was sort of expecting those results, I used it on the servo covers and fillets hoping it wasn't a permanent bond but falling apart is a little below my expectations.
I got some quick grip from Walmart the other day but haven't had a chance to use it.