Any experience with Clear Gorilla Glue? - Page 3 - RC Groups
Nov 01, 2017, 08:44 PM
DWA
DWA
1Corinthians 13:1-8
Slightly off-topic because itís a different glue but slightly on topic because we are talking about adhesive here. Ha ha
I used the 3M 90 today for the first time. I love the stuff. Itís so much easier to control your spray than the old 77. I can actually hold a part in my hand spray it without getting spray all over my hand. Stuff seems to bond super good as well. For building EPP warbirds this is what I will use for now on.

-Dave
That guy that likes to go off topic a lot
Latest blog entry: Carbon Fiber Bird
to remove ads between posts
Nov 01, 2017, 09:07 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
The clear stuff referred to by the OP (once again) is not the same as the white gorilla glue. It doesn't foam, so it wouldn't be good for sheeting wings. The white and the regular (brown) work well for this kind of gluing. Brown foams more than the white and takes longer to set.

Gorilla now has about 5 different glues on the market, including a c-acrylic based "super" glue.

Andy
Nov 01, 2017, 11:11 PM
The Gorilla glue I used IS the CLEAR Gorilla glue! And yes --it DOES foam!! Just not so drastically as the regular. I checked my workshop to confirm--and it's the clear glue. Works GREAT for sheeting. I got this idea from another OC builder--Tom Ramirez, TRISME on the groups and he's the one that clued me in to the disposable rollers to use too!! Stuff works GREAT!

SEE EDIT BELOW----the glue I used IS the WHITE Gorilla Glue!!! Apologies Andy---the old fart learned something new AGAIN!!
Last edited by timmig; Nov 02, 2017 at 03:01 PM.
Nov 02, 2017, 12:04 AM
It's time for me to fly
I wish Gorilla Glue chose different names for all the other glues they've introduced since the original. It creates massive confusion now that they are all called Gorilla Glue. Every time I ask my boss to pick up another bottle of "White Gorilla Glue" (which is clear in the bottle) she comes back with the wrong stuff, despite my giving her the exact name of the one I want. I've got all of them except the "clear" at work now

Anyway, what I came here to mention is something I noticed on the *clear* instructions: "not recommended for use on polyethylene or polypropylene". EPP is polypropylene. So the idea to stick with Goop and the like for EPP sounds like the right call.
Last edited by JimZinVT; Nov 02, 2017 at 12:13 AM.
Nov 02, 2017, 12:43 AM
And Repairs
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimZinVT
Anyway, what I came here to mention is something I noticed on the *clear* instructions: "not recommended for use on polyethylene or polypropylene". EPP is polypropylene. So the idea to stick with Goop and the like for EPP sounds like the right call.
Oh, instructions .... Good find.

If it helps anybody, hereís a link to the Clear product on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-45001...r+gorilla+glue
Nov 02, 2017, 03:02 PM
Well apologies to Andy!!! ---- I looked more CLOSELY to the bottle I have in the workshop! It's in FACT---WHITE Gorilla Glue!! It IS clear in the bottle so I was confused!!! But I remembered that it DID turn white when it dried!! So it's the WHITE STUFF you want. V
Nov 02, 2017, 05:46 PM
And Repairs
Thanks for posting that. Gorilla really should change their labeling to make things less confusing between the two products. Or three if you count the original brown stuff that’s sold next to the white foaming stuff.

We’re all pretty good with adhesives, but the average consumer will just be bewildered.
Nov 02, 2017, 06:26 PM
Objects in mirror are losing
They have a bunch of new products.
Spray, contact, wood, silicone, CA, epoxy, hot melt, construction adhesive, and more!

http://www.gorillatough.com/products
Nov 02, 2017, 07:33 PM
DWA
DWA
1Corinthians 13:1-8
Glad we got that 'cleared' up. Get it? Cleared up.... Clear Gorilla glue...

Ha ha...

Latest blog entry: Carbon Fiber Bird
Nov 02, 2017, 09:13 PM
altitude adjustment
For those who have worked with GG clear, would this stuff work well for hinges? (Silicone hinge style)

Mark
Nov 03, 2017, 08:14 AM
And Repairs
It’s flexible enough to work for that, but since it’s runnier than silicone you’d need to make sure a temporary tape dam was securely in place.

Pretty sure the cured glue at hinge hinge line would be a little less flexible than the same thickness of silicone. But maybe a little more flexible than Goop oe Welder. Just guessing.

As an FYI, In my quick test of the old Corsair wing that was destined for the trash, the tear was a millimeter or so forward of the actual hinge line, so the glueing was more of a foam to foam to foam joint.

Anybody is welcome to post results of using the Clear GG.
Nov 03, 2017, 07:16 PM
Faster is Better
Man, you guys got me all confused.

I realize that I'm straying off topic but this Formula 560 canopy glue is flexible and dries clear.
Last edited by Slopemaster; Nov 03, 2017 at 07:21 PM.
Nov 03, 2017, 07:18 PM
average user
hows that spray adhesive?
Nov 03, 2017, 07:58 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopemaster
Man, you guys got me all confused.

I realize that I'm straying off topic but this Formula 560 canopy glue is flexible and dries clear.
That stuff works pretty good, very old school. I'll have to try some of the clear gorilla on a canopy to see if it creates "hazing" on the clear plastic canopy or if it works as well as the F-560. F 560 can take a Looooonnnng time to dry inside a close canopy, say on top of a foam-solartex deck.

Tim...No problem!! Z'all good!

Andy
Nov 03, 2017, 08:45 PM
Just Toss It !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.zagi5c
hows that spray adhesive?
It's a conspiracy to distract you.