Any experience with Clear Gorilla Glue? - Page 2 - RC Groups
Oct 31, 2017, 08:39 PM
It's time for me to fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjaffee
Seems like it might work well for repairs on the Ahi.
Yes, I'll have to see if I can find some locally and try it on my torn rudder and aileron hinges. Was going to use FoamTac but it has hardened in the bottle. Again

Home Depot's website says it's in stock at the local store.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 01, 2017, 01:18 PM
DWA
DWA
1Corinthians 13:1-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyFlies
Just picked up a bottle of Clear Gorilla Glue. It's non foaming, so I assume it doesn't expand. And it's marketed as being good for glueing foam. I won't use it for EPP, will continue to use Goop, Quick Grip or Welder for that -- but I'm hoping this Clear Gorilla Glue will be a good alternative for glueing Elepor or similar type foams.

I do like the foaming White GG for repairs but this non-foaming GG might be a lot simpler to work with when weight isn't critical. Basically hoping for an alternative to Beacon Foam Tac, which is great, but expensive and hardens in the bottle way to quickly.

I'll do some experimenting with some foam scrap, but wondering if anybody has experience with it.

Asking in this forum, because nobody knows more about glues that slopers.

From what I can tell it's been on the market for a few months or more.
http://www.gorillatough.com/clear-gorilla-glue
So in your opening post you said you wouldn’t use it on EPP. What is the reason for this? ( do you think it won’t work well? )Just curious. I was planning on using it on EPP.

Dave
Latest blog entry: Carbon Fiber Bird
Nov 01, 2017, 01:23 PM
DWA
DWA
Picked some up this morning at Home Depot.
Nov 01, 2017, 01:29 PM
Objects in mirror are losing
My experience is the same as TyFlies but I don't consider it close to the strength of goop. I was able to pull a bead of this glue apart which is very difficult with goop. On the plus side it does not shrink much that I can tell.
IMO Goop is still the best choice when working with EPP.
Nov 01, 2017, 01:40 PM
DWA
DWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000MPH
My experience is the same as TyFlies but I don't consider it close to the strength of goop. I was able to pull a bead of this glue apart which is very difficult with goop. On the plus side it does not shrink much that I can tell.
IMO Goop is still the best choice when working with EPP.
Glad I asked. I might as well just go with Goop then for this EPP build. With all my other airplanes Iím sure I will find a use for it.
Thanks.
Nov 01, 2017, 01:45 PM
And Repairs
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWA
So in your opening post you said you wouldn’t use it on EPP. What is the reason for this? ( do you think it won’t work well? )Just curious. I was planning on using it on EPP.

Dave
I just meant that since EPP can handle the aggressive chemical agents of Goop so I’d continue to use it instead of looking for a substitute. I’m not sure there’s currently a product that’s better than Goop for EPP.

I’ve been looking for product to use on the foams that don’t react well with Goop.

For me, I’ll use Goop on EPP and either white foaming GG or Clear non foaming GG on true foams.

After my simple test, Clear GG doesn’t seem as durable as Goop.

...Unless 1000MPH posts a new and better option— then it’s a pretty safe bet I’ll be trying that too.
Last edited by TyFlies; Nov 01, 2017 at 02:04 PM.
Nov 01, 2017, 01:49 PM
DWA
DWA
Sounds good thanks!
Nov 01, 2017, 01:50 PM
DWA
DWA
By the way I didn’t see Goop at Home Depot. Anyone know a good place to buy it? I’d rather not buy on the Internet because I need it today.
Nov 01, 2017, 02:30 PM
And Repairs
Lowe’s carries it near me. Various varieties of it are available but my understanding is they’re all pretty much the same.
Also pretty sure that other companies sell the same type product under other brand names. Such as shoe goo I believe but not positive .
Nov 01, 2017, 02:45 PM
Brett
Orchard sells Goop AFAIK.
Nov 01, 2017, 02:49 PM
Objects in mirror are losing
Walmart sells RV Goop in the RV section if you need the UV inhibitors.
Nov 01, 2017, 03:13 PM
DWA
DWA
Thanks guys!
Nov 01, 2017, 05:48 PM
It's time for me to fly
E6000 is about the same stuff as Goop, isn't it? It's in all the hardware stores around here.

I stopped by Home Depot and picked up a bottle of Clear Gorilla Glue today. Going to try it om my torn Ahi hinges tonight.
Nov 01, 2017, 07:44 PM
I used it for bonding my balsa sheeting on my new PSS B-17!! It worked GREAT!! Yes, it still expands some so use it sparingly!!! The BEST way is to get those disposable mini paint rollers from Home Depot---then apply a criss cross pattern on your foam cores AND your wing sheeting. Use the foam roller to spread it completely and very thin!! Then put the sheeting cores and wings together in the saddles and weight them down. YOu've got a good 10-15 minute working time. They'll be bonded solid overnight!! REALLY good attachment, and the best part is the foam out sands really well so it's easy to remove any extra! I LOVE this stuff for sheeting---will be using it from now on for that!! I'm going to try attaching my wings to the fuse with it too!! I'll let you know how it goes!

NOTE:: It's the WHITE Gorilla Glue you want---NOT the clear!! The White is clear looking in the bottle--but it says white/ blanco on the bottle!!
Last edited by timmig; Nov 02, 2017 at 03:03 PM.
Nov 01, 2017, 08:40 PM
DWA
DWA
Yeah I remember you talking about a glue you were using for sheeting your wings. I wasn’t sure if this was the one or not.

-Dave
Last edited by DWA; Nov 01, 2017 at 09:13 PM.