Any experience with Clear Gorilla Glue? - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 27, 2017, 03:19 PM
And Repairs
Discussion

Any experience with Clear Gorilla Glue?

Just picked up a bottle of Clear Gorilla Glue. It's non foaming, so I assume it doesn't expand. And it's marketed as being good for glueing foam. I won't use it for EPP, will continue to use Goop, Quick Grip or Welder for that -- but I'm hoping this Clear Gorilla Glue will be a good alternative for glueing Elepor or similar type foams.

I do like the foaming White GG for repairs but this non-foaming GG might be a lot simpler to work with when weight isn't critical. Basically hoping for an alternative to Beacon Foam Tac, which is great, but expensive and hardens in the bottle way to quickly.

I'll do some experimenting with some foam scrap, but wondering if anybody has experience with it.

Asking in this forum, because nobody knows more about glues that slopers.

From what I can tell it's been on the market for a few months or more.
http://www.gorillatough.com/clear-gorilla-glue
to remove ads between posts
Oct 27, 2017, 03:26 PM
No experience, but it looks like it's a non foaming pu type glue and the fact that there's a foam model airplane there says almost everything
Oct 27, 2017, 04:04 PM
Objects in mirror are losing
I've used it only a few times. Not sure what I think if it so far.
I don't know how strong it is, if it's sandable, or if it penetrates.
I used it on a JW fuse to wing fillet and on servo covers on a moldie.
I also used it to tack a few wires down.
It goes on much thinner than Go2 glue or Goop. Smell is not to bad. The non-porus joints have taken a long time to cure.
I don't think I would use it in place of white or amber PU.

These are the only pics I have so far...
Oct 27, 2017, 04:15 PM
And Repairs
Great info.
Oct 27, 2017, 06:33 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
I've used it and like it! Its great on EPO, works as well as Foam-tac IMHO, in that it bonds and remains somewhat flexible for that use. It works very well for adhering servo covers on moulded ships, as it remains clear, and you can easily rub off any excess that spooges out to the surface after it dries. Not sandable, and not a replacement for good, as it won't build up fillets as large or as strong as that stuff.

Andy
Oct 27, 2017, 09:30 PM
And Repairs
Glad it stays a bit flexible.
And it’s ok that it’s not as tough as Goop for non foam projects.
Oct 27, 2017, 10:20 PM
Baboon McGoon
Excellent glue for repairing styrofoam ARFs. Lightly wet area to be joined, apply glue, squeeze parts together, wipe off excess with paper towel wetted with denatured alcohol, and tape parts together until dry. Almost makes an invisible repair. Any excess after cure can be sanded away with very fine sandpaper. My bugaboo is that I’m extremely allergic to polyurethane so I need to wear nitrile or vinyl gloves when applying it. If I’m sanding, I also must wear a respirator.
Oct 28, 2017, 06:35 PM
DWA
DWA
1Corinthians 13:1-8
Some great info here, I think I will try this glue.

Thanks
Dave
Latest blog entry: Carbon Fiber Bird
Oct 28, 2017, 06:44 PM
Brett
It's used in the newer versions of the JW to glue the wing spars in place, and it works very well. My recollection is that it does foam somewhat if you use a bit of water. For example, the JW instructions advise you to wet the wing spar with water before putting it in a slot filled with the stuff. It's fairly easy to cut off the excess with a razor knife, and it sands okay.

EDIT: I must be thinking of the white Gorilla Glue.
Last edited by bjaffee; Oct 28, 2017 at 09:51 PM.
Oct 28, 2017, 07:09 PM
Seems like several people are confusing white Gorilla PU glue with the new Clear Gorilla glue. The bottles look similar as well. The clear does not foam, as previously mentioned it is not a PU glue.
Oct 29, 2017, 07:53 AM
It seems like it still is a pu glue, what other glue per instructions suggests dampening with water?
Oct 29, 2017, 09:51 AM
True, other than that recommendation, but it doesn’t contain any diisocyanate or polyisocyanate according to the MSDS.
Oct 31, 2017, 04:10 PM
And Repairs
Haven't needed the glue for a repair yet, but I did do some testing. Some thoughts:
It dries Very clear
Stays very flexible after drying
No foaming at all
It's thin -- (like maple syrup) so can be used to fill in gaps and gravity can help level it out.
Dries very slowly without water.
No chemical fumes like some glues.

Instructions say to spray water on it to help set it off, which probably makes it dry faster. Tested some without water by putting a bead on packing tape. By morning it was dry, clear, and very flexible. Could bend the tape over on itself. See pic.

Pulled on old painted foam Corsair off the RC graveyard parts shelf. Foam is some variety of large bead stuff that E-Flight used on their Corsairs 15 years and 3 versions ago. Broke a piece of foam for the repair test. Very pleased with the result.

If I needed to do a large repair of white foam (like a Radian) I might still use the White foaming GG. But if a really clean repair was needed in an area that couldn't be sanded, I'd use the Clear GG.

If maximum strength is needed on a non-foam plane would use Goop or Welders. My gut feeling is that they 'd be stronger. But the Clear GG does actually dry clear.

Seems like a great glue to have around and can be used for a lot of non RC projects too.
Last edited by TyFlies; Oct 31, 2017 at 04:38 PM.
Oct 31, 2017, 04:37 PM
Brett
Seems like it might work well for repairs on the Ahi.
Oct 31, 2017, 04:41 PM
And Repairs
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjaffee
Seems like it might work well for repairs on the Ahi.
Yes, it might be perfect for that. My test repair was very quick and sloppy. If you cleaned off some of the excess with alcohol before drying it would really come out looking nice and clean. I used a couple of pins in the foam to help keep the pieces in place while drying.