This thread is privately moderated by r39o, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 27, 2017, 01:42 PM
Old newb
Thread OP
Discussion

Q: What is this glider called?

Yet another what is it thread!

Wing span almost 64 inches and it is 39 inches long.

Any ideas?
to remove ads between posts
Oct 27, 2017, 04:44 PM
I think it's a Marks Models Windward, but we need LJ to step in the verify.
Latest blog entry: Testing the blog page
Oct 27, 2017, 09:21 PM
Not a Windward,

...but those capped wing ribs look very Airtronics like (Questor).

The Tell Tales on this model are;

o Shoulder mounted 2pc wing
o Flying Stab
o Dihredal wing
o Flying Rudder
Oct 28, 2017, 12:21 AM
B for Bruce
It's sure a cute thing.

The controls seem to be set up for just rudder and elevator. Yet there does not look to be enough dihedral to provide for a good rudder to roll response.

Next is to see if there's any hand written or printed markings on any of the parts. Hand written indicates a home build from plans or an original. Stamp printed part numbers indicates a kit.

The span is a bit odd. 63" means it isn't a good fit for any given thermal competition category. It's even too big for the RCHLG event from back when it was a javelin throw style event. The model is built too heavily for that anyway. So that leaves it as being for either sport flying by someone that wanted a fairly compact glider or it's intended for slope soaring. But if a sloper then why just rudder and elevator? And why hamstring it with not enough dihedral to work well with the rudder?
Oct 28, 2017, 12:54 PM
Old newb
Thread OP
Thank you for your suggestions, keep them coming....

I purchased this plane along with other items from a person who bought out an estate a few years ago.

All I know is an avid builder who was a dentist, as I recall, built it.

He could be one of the many many many who around our parts here in So Cal near Torrey Pines rolled his own.

Amongst the items were no plans.

This must be a scratch built or low production plane as there are NO markings anywhere, not even pencil marks.

It does have dihedral but my undersized spars cause a droop in the pictures.

Best suggestion so far has been that it is a "Mini Sagitta."

It could also be a scaled down something else.

The full flying vertical stab rudder is something I do not recall seeing in 40+ years of model airplanes.

Keep the ideas coming......
Last edited by r39o; Oct 28, 2017 at 01:11 PM.
Oct 28, 2017, 02:05 PM
Not enough common 'styling tones' to truly be considered a Mini Sagitta,...

- Wings are constant chord, all the way to the tip as opposed to tapered
- Horizontal Stab missing that 'Classic' Sagitta style
- Vertical Stab missing and almost 100% Rudder
- Tailfeather alignment is offset with Rudder trailing Horizontal Stab

Local 'Scratch' Builder that admired Airtronics kitted sailplanes makes sense, because hand-cutting wing ribs might encourage a constant chord design (been there, done that) and trailing Full Rudder could have been a compromise to Stab interference or desire to improve the counter-weighted Sagitta design
Last edited by chip.greely; Oct 28, 2017 at 02:28 PM.
Oct 28, 2017, 04:13 PM
It sure looks like a slightly modded (tail feathers, missing outer wing section) Prodigy (my favorite old bird), or a similarly modded Sagitta 600. Nice looking! I knew a doctor of some kind...dentist I think...from a few decades ago at Torrey (and thermal club) who was an avid builder. He mostly did scratch built. That was in the '80s and he was perhaps 50 then...guessing.
Oct 29, 2017, 12:13 PM
looks sort of like a wood version of a Spirit of 76

https://www.google.com/search?q=spir...3UTTxPX9AMm7M:
Oct 29, 2017, 03:13 PM
Closer on the fuselage,....

.....at least the 'belly' is closer than the flat-bottom Sagitta fuselage, but that trailing Full Rudder remains distinct
Oct 29, 2017, 07:49 PM
The Prodigy fuse is closer to your rig than is a Sagitta. But the tail feathers are still a mystery.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-Ground-Models

I think this is a beautiful home designed job done by someone with decent skills.
Oct 30, 2017, 03:55 PM
it's a pretty nice mixed sailplane ........
Nov 02, 2017, 11:28 PM
Balsa breaks better
Scratch Windward and Avatar . . .

Home brew is a good bet.

Joe
Feb 15, 2018, 12:15 AM
It's all fun till Crunch!
I had a beautiful Sagitta 600. it was the first glass fuse sailplane i ever had, such a great glider, many contests won!

Lost to a burglary! what a shme.

Wayne
Feb 15, 2018, 01:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Crunch
I had a beautiful Sagitta 600. it was the first glass fuse sailplane i ever had, such a great glider, many contests won!

Lost to a burglary! what a shme.

Wayne
True...the Sagitta was/is a beautiful, contest winning plane. Did you buy my old one (w/ glass fuse)? I'm from San Diego.
Feb 15, 2018, 02:17 PM
It's all fun till Crunch!
Don't remember who I got it from, I think it was for sale at the old Hobby shop on Convoy St.

Quick Reply