mixing Jet A-1 and Diesel 50/50? - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 27, 2017, 02:24 PM
Discussion

mixing Jet A-1 and Diesel 50/50?

I was reading that Kingtech turbines run good on diesel (slightly more thrust, and more efficient), but I like the smell of jet-a1!
What dou you guys think about mixing the two together and get the benefits of both??
to remove ads between posts
Oct 28, 2017, 10:23 PM
Should not be a problem i guess. The engine would not know.
Oct 30, 2017, 07:40 AM
The increase in thrust with diesel is very marginal. People who use diesel are primarily those who dont have access to jet a1. But if u have access to jet a1 it will be a better fuel to use as its a better grade( more refined) as it is produced for airplanes.
Oct 30, 2017, 05:00 PM
I dont believe running diesel would result in any more thrust. The ECU controls the thrust by RPM. A hundred thousand rpm is a hundred thousand rpm is a hundred thousand rpm....etc...etc. It doent matter which fuel you use. However, diesel fuel having more btu's should result in getting better mpg.
Oct 31, 2017, 04:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbirdriver
I dont believe running diesel would result in any more thrust. The ECU controls the thrust by RPM. A hundred thousand rpm is a hundred thousand rpm is a hundred thousand rpm....etc...etc. It doent matter which fuel you use. However, diesel fuel having more btu's should result in getting better mpg.
My experience states otherwise. I have certainly seen an increase in thrust and also efficiency with diesel: (oil remains the same at 5%)

I was using Kerosene in Fall, Winter and springs (when available in local pumps).
I switched to diesel in the Summer as kerosene was not available anymore. I have seen an increase of about 15mph on one of my jets.
On the ground - the rpm reaches max limit much faster with Diesel and sometimes exceeds max limit and then comes back to max limit.
Efficiency also seems better - about 15% more with diesel but that could also be better throttle management with more stick time.
Oct 31, 2017, 03:24 PM
Multi-Platform Pilot
Exactly, more power, better fuel economy and much cheaper.

Downside is smell and some smoke at shut down.

I can get all the free Jet-A I want and I run diesel.
Oct 31, 2017, 04:53 PM
Danger! Danger!
I run diesel in all my jets because it's cheaper, it's easier to get and it's the fuel recommended by the engine manufacturer. Neither the smell, nor the smoke at shut down bother me.
Oct 31, 2017, 05:23 PM
Yep, diesel will put out more power due to the higher heat energy, doesn't have anything to do with "getting better mpg".... lol

Stink is a whole 'nuther matter. I started with Jet-A and then the EPA made airport operators quit selling aviation fuel over the counter. They were after the 100 octane guys for snowmobiles, jet ski's and such but the FBO's cut off the Jet-A as well.

So I went to Kerosene which is readily available around here and was quite pleased with it as it does not smell anywhere near as bad as that JetA does. Diesel smells even worse than Jet-A and I have a diesel powered truck and car so I'm around that stuff. Some friends went to it and besides the smell, the turbines smoke more with diesel than with the other two fuels.
Oct 31, 2017, 05:25 PM
No problem, I guess we just disagree....I still say you could run rocket fuel, chicken grease, or koolaid, doesnt matter...if both compared fuels are at the same rpm...it will make the same thrust. BTW... I run diesel in my jet for all of the other reasons mentioned above.
Oct 31, 2017, 05:30 PM
Zeeb,
Please tell me how your 100,000 rpm on diesel makes more thrust than my 100,000 rpm on jet A? Diesel having more btu's than jet a can more efficiently make its 100,000 rpm which will translate into better mpg.(slang car reference I know). I stand by my earlier statement.
Oct 31, 2017, 07:18 PM
Quote:
Zeeb,
Please tell me how your 100,000 rpm on diesel makes more thrust than my 100,000 rpm on jet A? Diesel having more btu's than jet a can more efficiently make its 100,000 rpm which will translate into better mpg.(slang car reference I know). I stand by my earlier statement.
You're standing by? Where at, outside, next to the bar, headed to the John?

I don't indulge in these online games of Trivial Pursuit anymore. You may stand where ever you like....
Oct 31, 2017, 10:16 PM
Zeeb,
Thats pretty funny....you didnt have any problem engaging in trivial pursuit earlier when you told me mpg had nothing to do with it. Now when the facts and basic physics are not on your side... suddenly you above such trivia....yet you are the one resorting to attacking my sentence structure instead of providing evidence to support your theory.
To recap what I said earlier....academically diesel fuel should make more power. However; the ecu negates any power increase by keeping the rpm the same regardless of fuel. As a modeler, the only thing you would realize, would be an increase in efficiency or mpg. Im out.......and I am still standing by what I said earlier
Nov 02, 2017, 09:39 AM
Even that isn't fast enough
Quote:
Zeeb,
Thats pretty funny....you didnt have any problem engaging in trivial pursuit earlier when you told me mpg had nothing to do with it. Now when the facts and basic physics are not on your side... suddenly you above such trivia....yet you are the one resorting to attacking my sentence structure instead of providing evidence to support your theory.
To recap what I said earlier....academically diesel fuel should make more power. However; the ecu negates any power increase by keeping the rpm the same regardless of fuel. As a modeler, the only thing you would realize, would be an increase in efficiency or mpg. Im out.......and I am still standing by what I said earlier
The heat and density of the exhaust gases at the same RPM will create differing thrusts. Differing fuels made a thrust difference. I can't comment on fuel economy but I suspect that is negligible. Diesel made more thrust in Kingtechs. FACT
Nov 02, 2017, 03:43 PM
You are correct sir. I went and dug through all my RC Jet International mags and found an article in the Jun/Jul 2014 edition. A kingtech K60 was compared on Jet A vs Diesel and it did in fact make approx 2% more power on Diesel so I now stand corrected. I could have sworn it said the power was the same. I would have bet money that power would be the same as long as rpm was the same. I do believe it also said the fuel efficiency was slightly better as well. My memory is slipping with my old age.....sorry guys