RBCkits 1/10 Scale Do-335, "Pfeil" - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 27, 2017, 02:20 PM
Oh no, not again!
Build Log

RBCkits 1/10 Scale Do-335, "Pfeil"

Okay, so I have more kits than I will ever build, but… After PerryCodes, started the thread on kit manufacturers, I spent some time cruising the sites. I loved my little Lanyu Do-335 and always wanted a bigger one and then a radio glitch punched it in last March and… Not to mention being terribly jealous of John and Stacker’s builds. Cliff Notes version, I found this online: https://www.rbckits.com/shop/do335.html

It looked interesting, was exactly the right size (1/10 - 1400mm) and was within my snack bracket but I wanted more info so I emailed the company. Rob responded immediately. There were no build threads, but he sent me a couple of construction photos and a full size PDF file of the plans. Best of all FREE shipping from the Netherlands - FREE!! Based on everything I can find online, Rob Bulk is a one-man show. He designs the planes, runs his own CNC mill :
How it is Made Rbckits Balsa Cutting (2 min 14 sec)
and has a professional grade vacuformer:
vacuumforming (0 min 57 sec)
I gather he cuts the kits to order. Mine took 48 hours to ship and about a week to arrive. Flaps and retracts are already designed in.

In the meanwhile, based on the plans I had, I started scrounging. I picked up an Eflite 25-46 105 degree nose retract on eBay for half price. In the 88 drawers, I found a couple (well 3 actually) 3548-1100 motors, just right for 3S. Couple of matched 50A ESCs. There was a long debate in Morgan’s thread about props. The 1/1 ran a 3.3 m 3-blade in the nose and 3.1 m of higher pitch in the rear. On my little Lanyu, I ran a cut down PZ 109 prop in the back and a MAS 9/7/3 pusher in the nose and it went like a scalded cat. For this one I figure a full size PZ-109 prop (9.5/7.75/3) aft and a MAS 11/7/3 pusher in the nose. Using the free version of eCalc, which doesn’t have my exact motors, I will be pulling 35-40A per motor for ~800W in and about 6-650W out. Perfect for a 3.1 kg (7 lb) plane. Assuming, of course, that I don’t overbuild it.
Last edited by jhspring; Nov 06, 2017 at 10:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 27, 2017, 02:32 PM
I may be some time ....
Following voraciously! RBC get very good reviews.

Alec
Oct 27, 2017, 02:33 PM
Oh no, not again!

First Steps

The kit is magnificent. Full size, two-color plan sheet. Vac-formed front and rear cowls, wingtips and canopy. The plastic bits are quite sturdy. Everything was stacked and taped so it couldnít shift in transit. All the sheet wood for covering has the dimensions stamped on it. CNC cutting is very neat, way better than the BalsaCraft kits. Rob also includes a CD with over 500 construction photos, all numbered and said to email him with questions. Every sheet of CNC cut wood is shown on the plans and every part is clearly numbered on the wood and on the plans. I'm sure I can mess up, but it will be work.

This is a builder's kit - wood and plastics only, no hardware. That suits me just fine since I have drawers full of recycled servos, motors, etc, etc.

Regards,
Jeff
Last edited by jhspring; Nov 06, 2017 at 10:51 PM.
Oct 27, 2017, 02:42 PM
Oh no, not again!
I can never build a kit the way it was designed, I blame it on ADD . I am always concerned about the gear. Our field is roughish grass and all my retracts take a real pounding. The Lanyu gear was not up to the task. The nosewheel kept collapsing and I had to use a dolly launch. That's why I sprung for the oversized Eflite nose gear. Sorta scale-ish and hopefully tough enough for the job.

Rob designed his 335 like the Lanyu, 4 separate, curvy pushrofs for the tail surfaces. Didn't like it on the Lanyu, like it less here. If I make the plastic rear cowl removable, I see no real reason not to use U-joiners with soldered internal horns for both rudders and elevators. Cleaner and straight runs for the push rods. Take a bit of fiddling, but that's what I do best.

Now to start building the fuse crutch so we can place the gear.

Regards,
Jeff
Oct 27, 2017, 03:04 PM
Hey Jeff

That is pretty cool just saw your post on the Lanyu thread leading me here.

But ill be monitoring your build.

Tengarang
Oct 27, 2017, 04:20 PM
Pro Hoarder
Very cool Jeff..I didnt know Rob had a Arrow kit...I have had a few of his kits over time..I really want his He162 he just released..Must resist..Now this one..crap...watchin closley
Oct 27, 2017, 04:26 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Looks a great kit Jeff - the '335 is always an intriguing aircraft. Watching and salivating

Pat
Oct 27, 2017, 08:16 PM
Alll right! Good on you.. finally a 335 of your own.
Suggest : suppressing add urges .
They will be counterproductive RBC kits are fairly well thought out.
That said;
More than enough room to fit fully internal rudder /elevator linkages in that "huge" model.
I managed (albeit with some efforts) to do so on My 1:24 scale 335.
Rudder, Elevs Ailerons even Flaps (which proved completely unnecessary , unless one carries Brick payloads
That size of model makes doing similar concealed actuators look like a walk in the park.
What you gonna do for spinners ? Those are a BIG part of the 335's 'look' and a glaring issue.. if not gotten just right.
Plan ahead... as in Shape the fuse to fit the spinner.. Now... rather than later
Oct 27, 2017, 10:00 PM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare
Alll right! Good on you.. finally a 335 of your own.
Suggest : suppressing add urges .
They will be counterproductive RBC kits are fairly well thought out.
That said;
More than enough room to fit fully internal rudder /elevator linkages in that "huge" model.
I managed (albeit with some efforts) to do so on My 1:24 scale 335.
Rudder, Elevs Ailerons even Flaps (which proved completely unnecessary , unless one carries Brick payloads
That size of model makes doing similar concealed actuators look like a walk in the park.
What you gonna do for spinners ? Those are a BIG part of the 335's 'look' and a glaring issue.. if not gotten just right.
Plan ahead... as in Shape the fuse to fit the spinner.. Now... rather than later
In for the show..... 3D print the spinners
Oct 27, 2017, 10:22 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Good for you Jeff! Love the 335. I had all sorts of problems with mechanical gear on mine. Tried at Vegas to fly it, gear kept collapsing so I put a bungee hook on it and it flew great although it did take the lower vert off on landing. Today should be a cinch with the new electrics. Probably should get mine down off the ceiling and rework it.
I'll be watching for sure.

J
Oct 28, 2017, 05:47 AM
Watch out for that planet....
Hi Jeff,

You are in for a treat, Rob makes a great kit! Having recently built his Mig 15 my only comment is follow his instructions carefully.

Agreed about the tail linkages though. I did the Mig elevator linkages Robs way and while it works OK it was fiddly to make and a bit flexible.

I keep looking at his Tempest kit. It's a curse.......

Cheers,
Shane.
Oct 28, 2017, 06:59 AM
Big gov never Works
Hi Jeff, RBC kits fly well. First RBC kit can be daunting, then they get easier. I built the Ted biggs 335 back in 2004 for a gent. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...r-DO-335-Pfiel Had two kits, but sold the other kit to an RCG member at cost. He claimed I scavaged all the sheet and strip wood. He did not understand what "short-kit" was.

Fuzz
Oct 28, 2017, 07:00 AM
CH Spring
OK So who are you? And what did you do with my brother?

My brother would never have a shop that clean and organised. Never in a million years.

I've never seen it. Nope! Gotta be an imposter.

Good luck with the build.

Cheers!
Oct 28, 2017, 08:48 AM
Gorilla glue rocks
Agreed, there is something un-natural about a clean workshop....I expect that Jeff with remedy that shortly

Looking forward to another one of your cool builds Jeff.....expecting to learn a lot from you along the way. Good luck.

One assumes flying it without breaking off the lower rudder stab will be some kind of fun.....yeeeeeeoooooowwww.

Spit100
Oct 28, 2017, 11:25 AM
Oh no, not again!
Wow! Thank you all for the kind words.

Alec, donít know anything about RBCkits, but after my email exchange with Rob, figured it was worth a flier.

Tengarang, hope you have fun, your Lanyu version is very nice. I loved mine and if I had access to a paved runway, would still be flying it. It went like stink and really looked cool in the air.

Scott, the 162 looks interesting, but I have a think for the Anteater.

Pat, thanks. Looking for you to get back in the saddle.

Bare, your baby Anteater is very sweet, just waaaay too small for a blind old man with sausage fingers. I figure my 8 year BC Blenheim build was a warm up for this one.

Spin, you otta do the gear for this. A very kind soul on the Lanyu threads 3D-printed me a beautiful set of spinners for it. Donít know if he would be willing to scale them up or not, have to ask. Good idea.

John, I thought your 335 was the bomb, I re-read the whole thread while I was waiting on this kit. I knew how much trouble you had with retracts, which prompted me to spring for the Gucci nose gear. Hereís hoping.

Shane, good to hear about Robís kits. The Lanyu used the 4 pushrod set up and they have to be pretty flexible to accommodate the curves and there is a lot of strain on things just sitting still, independent of the aesthetics.

Fuzz, thanks for the link. Somehow I missed your build thread, so some light evening reading.

Brother, you know it only lasts 5 minutes. I have a similar pic when I started the Blenheim back in í09. I just needed somewhere to spread out the plans. Thereís another anomaly, me using the plans.

Spit, yah entropy rules. As long as I was flying the baby 335 off pavement, I had no issues with the lower fin. Even the mains managed grass okay, but the nose wheel just couldnít hack it. In any event, I will build a bumper into the lower fin.

Thanks all, J